Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1141 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

Also the money hungry AMC made a deal with AT&T.

Like I said above, AMC likely took no increase or a very small one from AT&T just so they wouldn't be off two systems at the same time.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1142 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

Also the money hungry AMC made a deal with AT&T. Some people went wild and loved it when AT&T decided to join DISH. Now what do you say? They negotiated and got a deal done. Dish wouldn't even do that. So you guys really believe the Voom thing has nothing to do with that? Right!!!!!!!!

Dish dropped FX, FSN, Nat geo and was planning on dropping Fox stations the next month back in 2010 and there was no "voom thing" equivalent there.

At the end of the day Dish is a penny pincher if the other end of the table doesnt go low enough they will call the bluff and let the channel drop off.

Voom or not if rainbow didnt go low enough Dish would have dropped them regardless. Its all about that magic number with Dish.

#1143 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

Dish dropped FX, FSN, Nat geo and was planning on dropping Fox stations the next month back in 2010 and there was no "voom thing" equivalent there.

At the end of the day Dish is a penny pincher if the other end of the table doesnt go low enough they will call the bluff and let the channel drop off.

Voom or not if rainbow didnt go low enough Dish would have dropped them regardless. Its all about that magic number with Dish.

I just think the "Voom Thing" sticks in their craw. They wouldn't even negotiate.

#1144 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Its been noted earlier that no one really knows that.
Those "insiders" could have just been on the AMC side perpetuating the same story to make Dish look like the bad guy here. Fact is there both pretty bad in this situation but its apparent Dish has been the lesser of two evils through out all of this.

#1145 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,739 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

I just think the "Voom Thing" sticks in their craw. They wouldn't even negotiate.

They being AMC? Yes, I can believe that. Rainbow hates DISH for pulling out of Voom and removing their partnership.

#1146 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

They being AMC? Yes, I can believe that. Rainbow hates DISH for pulling out of Voom and removing their partnership.

No they being Dish. The whole judge rulling thing and so on.

#1147 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

Wonder how long it'll be til Dish drops ESPN and goes bankrupt? I'd guess within a couple of years.

#1148 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

You know, I'm thinking it so I'm going to say it.

Is it just me... or are there a lot more people in the thread now talking about asking Dish for compensation than we had people talking about the actual dispute before the channels dropped?

And if a separate thread about compensation were started wouldn't it likely get merged with this one?
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#1149 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

Seeking compensation? Or taking advantage?

I have yet to see anyone prove they've actually taken a financial loss worth compensation.

So far, Dish isn't requiring proof, so why should anyone have to provide it?
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#1150 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

So far, Dish isn't requiring proof, so why should anyone have to provide it?

Thank you!!! Why would anyone have to provide it to him on this board anyway? Like I said who is he to ask people for proof! He's just some guy on the net!

By the way your great info about you switching to Dish is really making me think about it.

#1151 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

And if a separate thread about compensation were started wouldn't it likely get merged with this one?

You, and others, missed my point.

For more than a month many of us have been discussing the likely dropping of these channels on 6/30.

Now, a couple of days after the actual drop, with rumors swirling about Dish offering some "free stuff" to customers who complain... we have had an inrush of new people on the thread who have asked Dish for something to make up for the loss of AMC channels.

My question essentially was... where was everyone the past month? The channels couldn't have been *that* important if it didn't prompt them to join in the discussion once Dish moved the channels around and put up the "this channel has moved" banner a couple of weeks back.

People are coming out of the woodwork, smelling blood in the water, looking for free stuff. Most of the people I see talking about asking for, expecting, and in some cases getting the freebies haven't been a part of this thread discussing it for the past month.

So I was just wondering "wha hoppen" that they suddenly sprang to life once the rumors of a freebie came to light.

People can do whatever they want of course... I'm not commenting on that... I just find it curious that this thread has so many new participants that had been incommunicado for the last month when the rest of us have been discussing things.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#1152 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Wonder how long it'll be til Dish drops ESPN and goes bankrupt? I'd guess within a couple of years.

I should have guessed that the "Dish will go bankrupt" posts would find their way here.

AMC has already lost more revenue than Dish will lose over this. Dish won't even notice, that's how few customers will be leaving.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#1153 OFFLINE   isuzudave

isuzudave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

I just called Dish to see if there was any new news about AMC being dropped. I was transferred to the customer retention department.

I talked to a very nice lady who asked what AMC shows I watched. I watch Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Walking Dead, and Hell on Wheels. She asked if I had access to Amazon on my TV. I do. I have a Logitech Revue. She offered me $15 a month off my Dish bill for a year to offset the cost of streaming those shows from Amazon. I thought that was a very generous offer and I accepted.

I also mentioned that I was thinking about upgrading my two 622 receivers for a Hopper/Joey setup. I asked if I could apply my monthly bill credits to the upgrade. She said no, but she could give me two Hoppers and two Joeys for $115. Again, I thought that was a very generous offer and I accepted.

I have had Dish for about 10 years and I have always been happy with their customer service. I have streamed HD TV shows from Amazon before and I think they look just as good, if not better than what I got from my Dish AMC channel.

If Dish does reach an agreement with AMC before the new shows start, I will call back and let them know they can cancel my credits. I wish they could reach an agreement, but in the interim, I think Dish is doing (for me anyway) what’s needed to keep customers from leaving.

#1154 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

I am surprised there hasn't been more than a couple of posts about the Roku incentive. Other sites are reporting that a lot of subs are getting a free Roku, most of those that talk to the Loyalty Department. Many are getting a free Roku and $10 or more off their bill for 12 months. I would love that offer in place of three channels I never watch if I were a Dish sub.

#1155 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

I just called Dish to see if there was any new news about AMC being dropped. I was transferred to the customer retention department.

I talked to a very nice lady who asked what AMC shows I watched. I watch Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Walking Dead, and Hell on Wheels. She asked if I had access to Amazon on my TV. I do. I have a Logitech Revue. She offered me $15 a month off my Dish bill for a year to offset the cost of streaming those shows from Amazon. I thought that was a very generous offer and I accepted.

I also mentioned that I was thinking about upgrading my two 622 receivers for a Hopper/Joey setup. I asked if I could apply my monthly bill credits to the upgrade. She said no, but she could give me two Hoppers and two Joeys for $115. Again, I thought that was a very generous offer and I accepted.

I have had Dish for about 10 years and I have always been happy with their customer service. I have streamed HD TV shows from Amazon before and I think they look just as good, if not better than what I got from my Dish AMC channel.

Perfect example of the benefits of being a 5 star customer.
Thats some really nice stuff man, good job lol.

@Stewart, I definitely agree. But we all saw it coming too lol.

#1156 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

My question essentially was... where was everyone the past month?

Lurking. Not everyone aspires to make the congratulatory landmark post count thread. Some people simply observe, and then participate when they see fit.
I don't see the problem. Well, I do, but....
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#1157 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

Some people simply observe, and then participate when they see fit.

You mean after they get rejected on getting a freebie? Some of it is just self serving or riddled with strife because Dish doesn't value them as much as they think they should be.

#1158 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

By the way your great info about you switching to Dish is really making me think about it.

Glad to hear it. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Of course, I'm not on commission or anything, so I can't imagine why I'd help you with no possible means of gaining anything personally. After all, I'm not smelling any blood in the water. ;)
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#1159 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

As long as the industry insiders were with AMC that was their company line, which the media seems to have swallowed and regurgitated to you!

Note that both news sites said their insiders were from both sides.

#1160 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

You mean after they get rejected on getting a freebie? Some of it is just self serving or riddled with strife because Dish doesn't value them as much as they think they should be.

I don't care what the motives of others are. All I know is that if Dish is giving something away, I'm getting in line. It's entirely up to Dish to decide whether or not I'm worthy. I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing. They've been doing it a long time.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

Protected By... spam firewall...And...