Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1181 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,041 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:40 AM

If dish wants to do something for its customers for the loss of the rainbow channels, they should offer the same thing to everyone that has a package that included those channels, and if someone wants to take theme of their offer, great, if others don't want to call in for it great, but they should announce it on their web site and just offer it to everyone, regardless of how long someone's been a customer, etc.

That is a very fair way to deal with this situation IMHO. This is not IMHO a situation where people are calling to get a better deal because they are paying more than a new subscriber would, or something of that nature.

I doubt doing what I suggest would do anything other than make people happy, and probably cost the same or less as making decisions based on individuals requests that will arise from this situation.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1182 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Stewart Vernon
I'm sure Dish takes notice of this as well. They read the forums... they see that not much was going on until they started giving out stuff. Next time around, don't expect Dish to be giving out stuff because I think they will ultimately learn from this that they really didn't have to do anything.

Let's be careful about getting into name calling. We have a lot of members here. Their option of "the right thing to do" may vary from yours but on this site we try to show some respect for the people behind the opinions - whether or not we agree with their opinion.

These don't reconcile. Not to mention, the idea that there is more traffic once a channel actually gets dropped is fairly intuitive. "Almosts" happen enough that they're not worth that much discussion. Not sure why anyone's trying to insert any dubious meaning here - this is borderline common sense!

#1183 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

I wonder how posters who think it's immoral, unethical or beneath their dignity to ask for discounts from D* or E* shop for cars?

2H/1J

#1184 OFFLINE   isuzudave

isuzudave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

I don't accept the idea that Dish owes anyone anything because they dropped AMC, IFC, WE, and Sundance. If they give you something, great. If they don't, well no harm in trying.

What? How many channels is it acceptable for them to drop before I am allowed to shop for new service? Is 5 enough? 10?

I am a great fan of some of AMC shows and it'll be a hassle to stream them.

A hassle and a added expense. I know I am going to get phone calls from my wife and kids, so I can walk them through the process of streaming AMC shows through Amazon onto the TV.

But if you became a Dish subscriber just because of AMC, you made a poor decision because AMC provides the equivalent of 1½ hours a week of original programming. Old movies are available on many channels, some even with fewer commercials.

When I became a Dish subscriber AMC was a very different channel than what it was now. It played only old classic movies. I don't remember ever watching it. Now I would estimate that close to 25% of the shows that I consider "must see TV" are AMC shows.

For a small monthly fee paid to Dish you can access with no commercials HBO via Dish plus HBO GO on line, the network that produced these series shows and a bunch of award winning movies and mini-series, as well as movies new and old:

Yes, HBO produces lots of good shows. I don't subscribe to HBO because I don't want the extra fee. What does that have to do with Dish not having AMC channels?

I don't watch a lot of TV. There are a lot of channels that I never watch. If every sports channel on Dish got dropped today I don't think I would notice. If I did notice, I would not call dish and ask for compensation. It just so happens that AMC carries a lot of the shows I really watch.

Yes I have been a Dish subscriber for many years, but I don't feel like I owe them any particular amount of loyalty, so I started to shop for another provider. DirecTV seems to have a nice whole home DVR setup so I thought I might give them a call. I called Dish first to see if there was any new or behind the scenes information about AMC. They offered to offset the cost of streaming AMC through Amazon and I thought that was fair.

#1185 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,534 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Let's try this another way.

Before the channels were dropped... we had some conversation. Some people sided with Dish, others with AMC.

Those who sided with AMC, some of them said "I watch the good programming on AMC, if Dish drops them then I am gone, bye!"

Ok... so Saturday happens and the channels are dropped.

All the people who said "I will drop Dish"... where did they go? Did they drop Dish?

Then we got an influx of new people... not talking about how they miss AMC... but rather how Dish gave them something or how they heard Dish would give them something or how they were mad that Dish didn't give them something.

IF there was an increase in "where did AMC go" or "I'm going to drop Dish" posts, that would make sense.

But it seems the discussion of the value of AMC has gone altogether. Nobody asking for it back, or saying they will leave Dish... it has become a competition to get the most credit, free stuff, whatever from Dish.

Some posts admittedly said they didn't even watch the channels but called for their free stuff too.

The point I was making here... wasn't about morality, that's a whole different topic... but rather about how this has very little to do with watching AMC.

IF people loved AMC and left Dish over this, that would at least make sense... but IF you truly "love" AMC but stay with Dish because they give you free stuff... then how much did you really love AMC after all?

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#1186 OFFLINE   isuzudave

isuzudave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

The 'service' you pay for is the delivery of a variety of channels, not for any specific channels unless you're paying for Premiums. The 'service' you're paying for is still being provided.

This is not completely true. If they replaced your "variety of channels" with knitting and basket weaving channels would you be ok with that? There are different programming packages that change up the "variety of channels". For example, I just went to a lower programming package and lost BBC America. I am ok with that because the money I saved more than makes up for the one show on that channel (Top Gear) that I would need to purchase from somewhere else. Now I just lost AMC and it has four shows that I watch. Two of them starting new seasons soon. The amount I spend on streaming is about to go way up.

Some people have ethics. Some obviously don't.

???

#1187 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Before the channels were dropped... we had some conversation. Some people sided with Dish, others with AMC.

Those who sided with AMC, some of them said "I watch the good programming on AMC, if Dish drops them then I am gone, bye!"

All the people who said "I will drop Dish"... where did they go? Did they drop Dish?

Then we got an influx of new people... not talking about how they miss AMC... but rather how Dish gave them something or how they heard Dish would give them something or how they were mad that Dish didn't give them something.

IF there was an increase in "where did AMC go" or "I'm going to drop Dish" posts, that would make sense.

But it seems the discussion of the value of AMC has gone altogether. Nobody asking for it back, or saying they will leave Dish... it has become a competition to get the most credit, free stuff, whatever from Dish.

Some posts admittedly said they didn't even watch the channels but called for their free stuff too.

The point I was making here... wasn't about morality, that's a whole different topic... but rather about how this has very little to do with watching AMC.

IF people loved AMC and left Dish over this, that would at least make sense... but IF you truly "love" AMC but stay with Dish because they give you free stuff... then how much did you really love AMC after all?

...and this isn't bad, either. Even non-watchers of AMC *pay* for it. If there is a value proposition in a roku, or anything else Dish offers them, why shouldn't they request it? They have had something they pay for taken away, and they're still paying for it!

Also, at some point, contract disputes get fatiguing, especially for Dish. I'm not shocked by this attitude at all, given a programming erosion over time.

#1188 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 894 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

I wonder how posters who think it's immoral, unethical or beneath their dignity to ask for discounts from D* or E* shop for cars?

+1, yet I respect those who don't use the service and are electing to forgo the freebees.
What pisses me off is to be vilified for excepting what Dish is willing to give, I watch the shows...I don't get into anybodies business unless they get in mine, this attitude stuff is boring and IMO does not belong here.
This AMC deal is nothing new in the world of business. AMC feels it has become a player, not just the little guy peddling old, bad, black and white or Technicolor SD movies. Because of BB, MM, HOW and other shows AMC has moved the dial.
Not unlike a rookie 220 hitter who has a 300 sophomore year...."Show me the money"....they'll work it out, it's just business. :lol:
Thank you and
Best of luck

#1189 OFFLINE   isuzudave

isuzudave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

Let's do. :)

I sided with myself. As long as they came to an agreement it did not matter much to me how they got there. This is not my first rodeo with Dish. What was the last channel they were dropping? Fox? Disney? Anyway they always seemed to reach an agreement at the last minute or a short time after the channel is dropped. Or it was a channel I did not watch and I don't know if it ever came back.

Maybe some did. I considered it.

I am not sure if you are considering me a new person or not. I have been here since 2006, but don't have a whole lot of postings. Usually my opinion on a topic or contribution to a problem has already been offered by the time I reach a discussion. I like to think I am not much of a "me too" type of person. I don't see a need to talk about how I miss AMC. The whole reason I am in this thread is because I lost AMC. If I did not miss it, I would not be here. I have made some comments in this thread because I feel like some have inferred that calling dish and asking about the AMC situation is a dastardly, cowardice, unethical, act boarding on treason. Ok, I may be embellishing some.

My first post in this thread could have been a "I'm going to drop Dish" post. Instead dish offered to offset the cost of me getting the AMC contend somewhere else. I thought that was awesome and I wanted to share my experience.

I would not feel comfortable doing that. And I would definitely not post about it. They did offer free HBO. I declined. They asked if I had an Xbox or PS3. I don't have either and then they offered a Roku. I declined. I already have a Logitech revue that does Amazon.

For me, It has everything to do with watching AMC. Maybe it does not for others, and I am going to assume that is who your comments are directed towards.

IF you truly "love" AMC but stay with Dish because they give you free stuff... then how much did you really love AMC after all?

The free stuff they gave me enables me to keep getting my AMC loving.

#1190 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

There's nothing wrong with accepting something from DISH and believe me DISH is getting a good deal on the price they pay for the ROKUs they give away(cheaper than you can buy one).;)

The ironic part is AMC said they needed the raise because they show original programming?,excuse me then how come these shows are also available on the ROKU too? guess these shows are not as original to just AMC as AMC thought.;):D

Good Job DISH!:)

#1191 OFFLINE   pitflyer

pitflyer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Definitely way too much name calling from one camp to the other. If you don't want to ask for anything despite your service changing, that's your prerogative. To call those who do ask and then wonder about what they received as 'unethical' is way over the line.

Life is all about negotiations. And as a non contract customer its up to Dish to decide what I'm worth to them. I'm guessing a low star because of the offers I've gotten vs others. That's their right, that means they care less if I switch, so maybe I will switch.

Also, I couldn't care less when I got MLB last year because you couldn't pay me to watch baseball. So it wasn't any 'extra' service for me. I do sometimes watch AMC so it is less service for me. And as posted, Dish is now saving X million by not paying AMC. It is not unreasonable to expect some of that savings to be passed on to the customers.

#1192 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

It's unfortunate for me that AMC is gone. I was clearly looking forward to Hell on Wheels in August and although it can be streamed, I like the ability to record and watch on my own schedule. The Roku box is a nice box and clearly a generous offer to help people get the programming they want. I already had Apple TV and didn't feel the need to try to get a Roku in addition to my apple TV. I have always found Dish helpful and accommodating. Far better than calling ATT or Comcast. I like the fact that we have the DIRT group here on the forum as they are also really helpful. As much as I would like to have AMC as a channel, it is not a big enough deal for me to leave Dish. YMMV
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1193 OFFLINE   aa62579

aa62579

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

Any suggestions for what someone without internet at home can do? Breaking Bad is my all time favorite tv show. A Roku won't help since we don't have internet.

I didn't post on this thread earlier because I thought it would get resolved at the last minute. I did, though, send emails to dish early in June.

I'd switch right now if we weren't moving later on this year.

#1194 OFFLINE   Reggie3

Reggie3

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 549 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

Any suggestions for what someone without internet at home can do? Breaking Bad is my all time favorite tv show. A Roku won't help since we don't have internet.

I didn't post on this thread earlier because I thought it would get resolved at the last minute. I did, though, send emails to dish early in June.

Just remember D* will move you for free (at least that is what their ads say)

Basement: H21-100 to 60" Sony SXRD

Family Room: HR34 Genie HDMI to 70" Slharp Elite (Feb 22nd, 2013)

Main Bedroom:  HR22-100  to 50" Panasonic Plasma

Loyal DirecTV customer since 1996

20140423_090700_zps7jf13ohp.jpg

#1195 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

Does your cable system carry the channels you want, might be worth it for a few months since they usually don't have any commitments. You could also check with DIRECTV to see if their free movers offer can be used a couple months after initial installation. Remember if you do decide to go with DIRECTV find a friend that can get you the $100 referral bonus, just follow the instructions to the letter if you go that way.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#1196 OFFLINE   aa62579

aa62579

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

If we weren't basically in the middle of a reno at the new (to us) house and at the current house, I'd consider it. But we are just not at a stage where we can have anyone at either house. Also, will be totally different setup in amount of tvs, etc. at the new house.

#1197 OFFLINE   aa62579

aa62579

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

Does your cable system carry the channels you want, might be worth it for a few months since they usually don't have any commitments. You could also check with DIRECTV to see if their free movers offer can be used a couple months after initial installation. Remember if you do decide to go with DIRECTV find a friend that can get you the $100 referral bonus, just follow the instructions to the letter if you go that way.

Unfortunately no cable service in our rural location.

Yes, my parents have DirecTV, and we will work with them for the credit when we get moved. It has been up in the air on if we would switch or not, but this seals the deal. Just won't help me in time.

#1198 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

Unfortunately no cable service in our rural location.

Yes, my parents have DirecTV, and we will work with them for the credit when we get moved. It has been up in the air on if we would switch or not, but this seals the deal. Just won't help me in time.

Have you checked with DIRECTV on the movers deal, you take your receivers and they install new hardware where needed. The only question I'd have is how soon you can get this free service after an initial installation.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#1199 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,201 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

I never watched AMC/IFC/WeTV, at least not knowingly ... and I suppose I've paid for those channels all along. I feel for those who valued and will now have to do without these channels. Oh well, sorry guys.

I didn't complain when Dish let me watch the three Epic channels without a price adjustment, so I see no reason to complain about AMC/IFC/WeTV being turned off. Besides, how many channels am I paying for now and never watch?

My wonder is what will happen if we get the AMC channels back? Will we then lose the placeholder (HDNet et al) channels they gave us?

You have to hand it to Dish ... they always keep things interesting.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#1200 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,534 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

I should probably also note... I don't really care for watching streaming stuff on my computer. I don't have a Roku or AppleTV so I don't know how I might like that. Only a few times when I had missed a show and needed to watch before the next episode have I watched on my Mac via the Web... either a purchase/rental from iTunes or from a network Web site.

I haven't tuned to IFC or Sundance or WeTV in years or ever in the case of WeTV. AMC I only watched for the Walking Dead.

I think AMC is sticking it to us by scheduling the "preview weekend" this weekend because they didn't have that on the schedule until Dish announced the channels were dropping. AMC is only doing this preview to stick it to Dish customers who don't switch... that sticks in my craw a bit.

IF the channel doesn't come back to Dish, I'll just wait for a sale on the Blu-rays and buy the Walking Dead then... that's what I decided pretty early on in this debate.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall