Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1501 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,405 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

Thank You! The great thing about AMC is the fact they don't green light just anything and throw it on the air. They don't do reality programming. Their really juts starting out doing the original programming thing. It took TNT a while to build up some shows. Just my 2 cents

They're doing reality programming, too. Comic Book Men was pretty good and is returning. Small Town Security just started and The Pitch was interesting. There's 3 reality shows.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1502 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

So, the millions of people that work other hours, or are retired or unemployed or unable to work due to illness or handicap don't matter?

Don't go there with Handicapped I've been in a wheelchair for years as a paraplegic. I work full time. I didn't take my military disability. By the way you lost credibility with me when you made it sound like everyone that was getting a credit needed to prove a loss to you. Plus the whole "judges aren't always right" thing when the judge ruled against Dish. If that doesn't scream fanboy I have no idea what does.

Again I stand by prime time is 8pm to 11pm. There is a reason for that. Your not going to bait me into something like you do others. We get it you don't watch AMC and you don't care that it's gone. Like I said before your just some guy on the net. I could care less what you think. As I'm sure you care less what I think.

#1503 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

They're doing reality programming, too. Comic Book Men was pretty good and is returning. Small Town Security just started and The Pitch was interesting. There's 3 reality shows.

Your absolutely right! I watch Pitch too!! Hey I can admit when I'm wrong! :)

#1504 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

To be fair... prime time is prime time because of tradition... there are a lot of people that work at home and make their own hours as well as people working the night shift.

But that wasn't the point I was making anyway. You said that AMC doesn't just "green light anything"... and yet they kind of do... They run infomercials in the overnight... and WeTV has some reality TV.

Don't forget, this dispute was about the package of AMC, IFC, Sundance, and WeTV. WeTV does air reality TV do they not? And it was an all-or-none negotiation... It wasn't as if Dish could just take AMC with the award winning programming and pass on the others.

I like the Walking Dead. I also watched the companion Talking Dead show... and tried, but didn't care for, Comic Book Men. I'll miss Walking Dead IF they aren't back on Dish by October... but since I will buy the Blu-rays anyway... I'll get to watch the shows eventually.

I agree... it is just TV... which is why I was fine with Dish dropping them. AMC is the one bad-mouthing Dish. If you notice, Dish hasn't actually said anything bad about AMC and has encouraged people to watch the shows on AMC via other means. AMC, however, has told people to leave Dish.

And the truth is the truth... AMC argues they want more money, but then doesn't want to spend that money on their shows... so what do they want the money for? That seems fair to ask to me.

You make some good points and appreciate your passion for this stuff. I want to get Dish so bad. I'm just a huge fan of AMC and it kills me Dish doesn't have it. I can hold out for a while but the Hopper keeps calling me!!!!!;)

#1505 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,553 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

You make some good points and appreciate your passion for this stuff. I want to get Dish so bad. I'm just a huge fan of AMC and it kills me Dish doesn't have it. I can hold out for a while but the Hopper keeps calling me!!!!!;)

I can see from your perspective how that makes a difference. IF I was not a Dish customer and they just dropped a channel I watch... I probably would be hesitant to switch to them as well. I can definitely see from that perspective how it affects your decision.

As an already existing Dish customer, however, it isn't enough to make me even think about leaving. So, I have the opposite perspective from you in that sense... and it definitely changes my motivations.

Oddly, I'm more concerned about missing the Talking Dead show since that one is only relevant if you watch it the night after the Walking Dead airs... I can enjoy Walking dead months later... but Talking Dead won't be available to me to watch then.

So, I do hope this all shakes out by October.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#1506 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:37 AM

I think it misses the point trying to figure out how good a couple of programs are on AMC. The question is, do they rate where USA and TNT are for example, because that's the rate per subscriber they are trying to attain. (Not all at once) And then, is what they are asking worth it to be made to carry their other networks that for the most part no one watches.

It's more than how good two or three programs are, you can be sure if AMC dropped the demand to carry all the other networks, Dish would have been willing to negotiate more. Exactly what Direct TV is doing with Viacom. Think of it like a can of tuna fish. Used to be, say 8 ounces. But as price increased to keep it from escalating they put less in, say 6 ounces, effectively raising the price per ounce, but not for the can. That's what carriers are being forced to do. Rather than raise your rates as high as they would have to, they want to not carry some of the least popular channels, probably then pay a little more to keep the ones that are watched, and then not have to raise prices as much.

The question is why are they being forced to do this? While most of America is downsizing, facing unemployment, underemployment, loss of job security, loss in benifits, etc, Hollywood continues on with the lifestyles of the rich and famous unabated. They still have thier mansions in Beverly hills or Malibu, a ranch in Montana or island in the tropics and homes around the world and are always taking exotic vacations around the world; all of which are constantly documented by Entertainment Tonight and Inside Edition on a daily basis. While they are "working" they get the royal treatment and are spoiled to a fairtheewell. Meanwhile a lot of us are trying to figure out our entertainment priorities and what we can afford to be entertained by. At least tuna has nurishment value, which is a need, so we have to buy it even though its smaller. TV we might have to get a little more picky.

#1507 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 727 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:21 AM

Let me make one thing clear: my arguments on the quality of the shows on AMC is separate from the argument of whether AMC was asking too much from Dish. I just think in the passion of people wanting to make one side or the other "evil" people are overreaching to attack AMC and their shows.

It can be true that AMC has made some great programming decisions to move from a 3rd rate movie channel to a channel that carries some of the top shows on TV, shows that are bold and different and that no other channel would carry. AND that they overreached and asked for too much money from Dish and that Dish made the right business decision. There's no need to make either of the channels evil. Although I realize that web forums are passionate by nature (most people don't spend their time posting on a Dish forum ;) )

My personal opinion from all I have been able to find in as many sources as I can find is that this is indeed a different kind of fight than, say DirectTV vs. Viacom. In that case there was posturing and bad mouthing of each other but they reached an agreement. In this case it seems clear ( to me) that there is personal animosity between the two gazillionaires and they have made this a personal, who's wiener is bigger fight and neither is going to get their ego out of the way long enough to back down. Again that's not taking sides, just an observation/opinion.

#1508 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

My personal opinion from all I have been able to find in as many sources as I can find is that this is indeed a different kind of fight than, say DirectTV vs. Viacom.

Sorry in advance fud, for taking your post out of context. :D This is indeed a different kind of fight. DirecTV and Viacom just manned up and came to an agreement. I imagine because this was best thing to do for their customers. :rolleyes: Let's see if Dish and AMC can be responsible to their customers and do the same...

#1509 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

Let's see if Dish and AMC can be responsible to their customers and do the same...

I'd say the Dish/AMC situation is already done. Done as in over and done with.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#1510 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

Curious thing.....

This thread, about 1,500 posts; the Direct/Viacom thread, nearly 3,000 in a much shorter timeframe.

Does that indicate Viacom is more discussion worthy than AMC? Or that Direct customers are more talkative?

#1511 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

This site is seen as more DirecTV centric, which should result and did, in more conversation about things affecting D* and its subscribers.

I know that for me, I come here more often when I am looking for things D* related and the 'other site' for things E* related.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#1512 OFFLINE   bnewt

bnewt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:40 AM

Sorry in advance fud, for taking your post out of context. :D This is indeed a different kind of fight. DirecTV and Viacom just manned up and came to an agreement. I imagine because this was best thing to do for their customers. :rolleyes: Let's see if Dish and AMC can be responsible to their customers and do the same...

It would certainly be nice if Dish & AMC would kiss & make up, but I doubt it happens until the law suit is settled ............one way or the other:nono2:

May God Guide and Guard the USA!

#1513 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,937 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

Does that indicate Viacom is more discussion worthy than AMC? Or that Direct customers are more talkative?

To some extent. Viacom represents quite a few more "relevant" channels than AMC. The kid's programming alone trumps most everything from AMC. Not to mention that there were many, many more lower-tier channels involved.
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#1514 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

In any any case, it is most unfortunate for those Dish subscribers who are passionate viewers of (take your pick) Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Mad Men and others. Just my $.02.
I pick things up and I put them down

#1515 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,937 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

I believe, as always, that Derek Chang should not be allowed to speak for the company. His inflammatory statement in the press release is putting a battery on his replacement's shoulder (see Eveready battery commercials with Robert Conrad). DIRECTV should not cultivate a juggernaut mentality.
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#1516 OFFLINE   johnstred

johnstred

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

To some extent. Viacom represents quite a few more "relevant" channels than AMC. The kid's programming alone trumps most everything from AMC. Not to mention that there were many, many more lower-tier channels involved.

What's interesting to add is that I have seen a LOT more publicity in various newspapers, magazines and news shows about the Viacom/DTV feud that this DISH/AMC feud. maybe that's why it settled faster and created more discussion.

#1517 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

maybe that's why it settled faster and created more discussion.

No. It's because Viacom is of more interest to more people than AMC and because the two companies were still talking and putting it out in the press themselves.

It just shows that less people care about losing AMC and the media realizes there is little to no chance of AMC returning to Dish any time soon since the two companies aren't even talking any more.

#1518 OFFLINE   LazhilUT

LazhilUT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

So DTV settled a lot quicker than Dish has ever settled...
When FX and those channels were gone it took a few weeks if not months...
DTV got it done in a matter of days.

I understand that Dish took a stance and so did DTV, but at the end of the day, DTV realized their sh*t does stink and negotiated a deal.
Why won't Dish do it? Thankfully I don't watch the channels we lost but come on!

#1519 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

^^ Because the Rainbow Group channels don't have the value or viewership of Viacom or Fox or most of the other groups.

#1520 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

Because with DISH, it's always that its CEO takes it personally.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#1521 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

The one thing this thread has done for me is to make me aware of Breaking Bad and Mad Men. I did watch Hell on Wheels last year and was looking forward to it starting next month so I will be grabbing it probably on iTunes. Since the other two shows have already had several seasons, I can easily order their episodes on DVD from Blockbuster.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1522 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

Interesting to note the Emmy Drama nominees. AMC clearly has a solid showing.
Outstanding Drama
"Boardwalk Empire"
"Breaking Bad"
"Downton Abbey"
"Game of Thrones"
"Homeland"
"Mad Men"

Outstanding Actress In A Drama
"Kathy Bates, "Harry's Law"
"Glenn Close, "Damages"
"Claire Danes, "Homeland"
"Michelle Dockery, "Downton Abbey"
"Julianna Margulies, "The Good Wife"
"Elisabeth Moss, "Mad Men"

Outstanding Actor in a Drama
Hugh Bonneville, "Downton Abbey"
Steve Buscemi, "Boardwalk Empire"
Bryan Cranston, "Breaking Bad"
Michael C. Hall, "Dexter"
Jon Hamm, "Mad Men"
Damian Lewis, "Homeland"

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama
Aaron Paul, "Breaking Bad"
Giancarlo Esposito, "Breaking Bad"
Brendan Coyle, "Downton Abbey"
Jim Carter, "Downton Abbey" Jared Harris, "Mad Men"
Peter Dinklage, "Game of Thrones"

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama
Archie Panjabi, "The Good Wife"
Anna Gunn, "Breaking Bad"
Maggie Smith, "Downton Abbey"
Joanne Froggatt, "Downton Abbey"
Christina Hendricks, "Mad Men"
Christine Baranski, "The Good Wife"
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1523 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

^^ Already discussed, as well as the irrelevance of 'awards' shows.

#1524 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

Interesting thread - I wish I had time to read all of the posts. Losing AMC and IFC will definitely have us switching to DTV, as we watch a lot on those networks. We have been satisfied customers for eight years, so I am hoping this won't happen.

And for Say What?, who questioned my use of "usu." I was using it an an abbreviation for "usually". Sorry if that wasn't clear from the context.
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#1525 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,757 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

Interesting to note the Emmy Drama nominees. AMC clearly has a solid showing.
Outstanding Drama
"Boardwalk Empire"
"Breaking Bad"
"Downton Abbey"
"Game of Thrones"
"Homeland"
"Mad Men"

These are quality shows, no question about it. What does this tell us:
  • "Boardwalk Empire" and "Game of Thrones" - on premium channel HBO
  • "Homeland" - on premium channel Showtime
  • "Downton Abbey" - part of the PBS Masterpiece Theater series supported by the Masterpiece Trust and donations from viewers like you
  • "Breaking Bad" and "Mad Men" - on an advertising/retransmission-fee supported mostly-old-movies-and-infomercials basic cable channel
IMHO something seems oddly out of place.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

Protected By... spam firewall...And...