Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1221 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

I should have guessed that the "Dish will go bankrupt" posts would find their way here.

AMC has already lost more revenue than Dish will lose over this. Dish won't even notice, that's how few customers will be leaving.

I can see the headlines now"DISH goes bankrupt,makes a profit in the process".:eek2:;):D

That's our Charlie.:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1222 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

I think it's G4TV.

Correct and I'm sure there's alot of happy DirecTV subscribers who are glad NBC put Ninja Warrior in their programming.Because before without G4 there was no Ninja Warrior on DirecTV.;)

#1223 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

I am an E* sub since 2001, love them and always will. I am glad they make a stand like this EVERYTIME contracts come up for negotiation. Besides there are other methods to watch Breaking Bad the same night as it airs so I am not too worried about it.

I want to thank all the cry babies that have posted in this thread since it started I have had some good laughs, keep em coming.......

#1224 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

If dish gives everyone amazon credits in some way, and a free roku, they might end up spending more money handing these things out than if they had just paid amc what they are asking for! :D

#1225 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

How many total channels have been lost now? I've lost count.
DTV = Digital Television

#1226 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

Does anyone provide closed captioning on their streamed version of Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, or Hell on wheels?

I was planning on streaming streaming them from Amazon on my Google TV device. I have since learned that Amazon does not have closed captioning on their streaming. I know Netflix does, but that does not help me with the upcoming season. What about iTunes? I don't have an apple tv, but I have an iPhone and iPad and I think I have a cable to connect those to my tv. I also have a Sony BD player with apps and a WDTV live hub.

Anyone have experince with closed captioning or sub-titles on current season streaming shows?

iTunes has some things with CC, but unfortunately not current seasons.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#1227 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

Learn to count better. :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#1228 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

Do you mean the net channel count, including the new ones that have been added? And over what time frame?

#1229 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

Do you mean the net channel count, including the new ones that have been added? And over what time frame?

How many channels has Dish lost long-term due to disputes? These and the Disney related channels and whatever else...a grand total. I'm counting 10 so far.

Edited by Hoosier205, 03 July 2012 - 09:58 PM.

DTV = Digital Television

#1230 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

How many channels were taken down then put back up after a contract was reached?

#1231 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

Satellite TV has too many channels - we need to get rid of some of the trash channels that are included in these programming bundles that programming producers pawn off on us.

If a niche channel cannot survive on its own - let it die.

Dish and DirecTV should start pressing providers to cut the bottom channels off of their packages and keep prices at the same or slightly lower levels.

If there is a demand for a channel it will survive - let the others DIE!

I do not want to subsidize trash channels with my subscription dollars. I probably watch fewer than 15 channels all week and the rest of the family maybe doubles that number.

Who needs 200 or 250 channels - NOBODY.

There is an opening for someone with a bundle of money to start a TV delivery system either by internet streaming or maybe through OTA subchannels that provides a small number of highly watched channels at a rate lower than current providers charge (maybe like 75% of their rates) and make it.

All that stands in the way are the contracts that program providers seem to insist on with large number of garbage channels bundled with those few good channels.

Right now I pay Dish $85 a month and I would be willing to pay $65 a month for a much smaller package of only the channels I want.

Of the 7 or so OTA channels that Dish carries (all SD by the way) here I regularly watch 5.

Of the true satellite channels I watch FOX News, TNT (Dallas and Falling Skies only), History, ESPN (not nearly as much as I once did - to much bla bla bla too little Sports - where's curling when you need excitement), HGTV and Discovery Channel, SciFi (Merlin only and I refuse to misspell it).

So I just watch 6-7 satellite channels... HMMMM maybe I don't need satellite TV after all.

I am constantly thumbing through my 120 channels and finding nothing to watch.

I'm going to have to reconsider whether it is worth the cost - I could better use my time.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#1232 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

Wow, you sure have alot of gear for 120 channels!

#1233 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

How many channels has Dish lost long-term due to disputes? These and the Disney related channels and whatever else...a grand total. I'm counting 10 so far.

The four ABC/Disney HD channels were never under contract ... DISH shouldn't have been carrying them in the first place (or so the court says). The channels themselves remain on DISH, just not in HD.

One hears a lot more about disputes than resolutions. Other providers lose channels as well ... sometimes temporary, sometimes forever (DirecTV lost Versus for several months and G4 "forever"). DISH has lost channels that DirecTV will never carry - so I suppose it all works out even.

#1234 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

The four ABC/Disney HD channels were never under contract ... DISH shouldn't have been carrying them in the first place (or so the court says). The channels themselves remain on DISH, just not in HD.

One hears a lot more about disputes than resolutions. Other providers lose channels as well ... sometimes temporary, sometimes forever (DirecTV lost Versus for several months and G4 "forever"). DISH has lost channels that DirecTV will never carry - so I suppose it all works out even.

Just trying to get a total. No need to be defensive.
DTV = Digital Television

#1235 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

So far, I have the following:

• ESPNews
  • Disney Channel HD
  • Disney XD HD
  • ABC Family HD
  • MSG
  • MSG+
  • SportsNet New York
  • AMC HD
  • WEtv HD
  • IFC HD

What am I missing?

#1236 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:31 PM

WE and IFC were never carried in HD. ESPNews remains carried by DISH.

The channels you are missing should be obvious in a thread about AMC. :)
(Hint: DirecTV never carried them, and never will.)

#1237 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:34 PM

You, and others, missed my point.

For more than a month many of us have been discussing the likely dropping of these channels on 6/30.

Now, a couple of days after the actual drop, with rumors swirling about Dish offering some "free stuff" to customers who complain... we have had an inrush of new people on the thread who have asked Dish for something to make up for the loss of AMC channels.

My question essentially was... where was everyone the past month? The channels couldn't have been *that* important if it didn't prompt them to join in the discussion once Dish moved the channels around and put up the "this channel has moved" banner a couple of weeks back.

People are coming out of the woodwork, smelling blood in the water, looking for free stuff. Most of the people I see talking about asking for, expecting, and in some cases getting the freebies haven't been a part of this thread discussing it for the past month.

So I was just wondering "wha hoppen" that they suddenly sprang to life once the rumors of a freebie came to light.

People can do whatever they want of course... I'm not commenting on that... I just find it curious that this thread has so many new participants that had been incommunicado for the last month when the rest of us have been discussing things.

I think it is the epidemic that has helped ruin nearly every Nation and is called GREED! The simple fact is far too many people these days feel they are entitled to something even if they are not. It should become very apparent to DISH in short order that more people are standing with their hands out then every watch the damn channel.

As has been stated previously, it has to with a person’s character.

#1238 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

Well, it is true that Dish dumped all 15 of the Voom channels, MSG, and the 4 AMC Neworks channels ... oh, wait ... actually these were all owned by billionaire Charles Dolan.

Listing the Disney-owned channels separately that are carried, just not in HD.

Golly gee, that's a lot of channels, but two owners. There may be a pattern here. :beatdeadhorse:

Yes there are other cable channels over the years that were replaced by equally unwatched cable channels.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#1239 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:43 PM

WE and IFC were never carried in HD. ESPNews remains carried by DISH.

The channels you are missing should be obvious in a thread about AMC. :)
(Hint: DirecTV never carried them, and never will.)

What does this have to do with DirecTV? Wrong part of the forum for that.

• ESPNews HD
  • Disney Channel HD
  • Disney XD HD
  • ABC Family HD
  • MSG SD/HD
  • MSG+ SD/HD
  • SportsNet New York SD/HD
  • AMC SD/HD
  • WEtv SD
  • IFC SD
  • Sundance SD

Is that it? Just talking about the more recent deals Dish has failed to come to terms on. (not VOOM)

Edited by Hoosier205, 04 July 2012 - 12:02 AM.

DTV = Digital Television

#1240 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

What do other channels DISH has decided to live without have to do with AMC? (Although it is interesting to see how many of those channels are related to AMC.) It seems to be a hint at the stereotypical argument usually posted elsewhere about DISH constantly losing channels. Considering the short list of channels "lost" that argument has lost it's legs.

Channel lineups change ... it is just part of doing business.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...