Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1241 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:56 AM

What do other channels DISH has decided to live without have to do with AMC? (Although it is interesting to see how many of those channels are related to AMC.) It seems to be a hint at the stereotypical argument usually posted elsewhere about DISH constantly losing channels. Considering the short list of channels "lost" that argument has lost it's legs.

Channel lineups change ... it is just part of doing business.

I like the spin you try to put on that...channels Dish decided to live without. :)

You seem to be itching for an argument. I was trying to get a solid list of lost channels (now that the AMC channels have been canned) and you've been nothing but defensive and argumentative. Are you just a customer or a shareholder?

You maintain a list of carried channels, but seem a little touchy about the ones no longer being carried. It's just a simple discussion.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1242 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:59 AM

Think one of the most amazing things is we lost AMC which was in HD and we still have more basic channels in HD with DISH,of course having those little channel logos by the channel numbers in my EPG are cool too on the 922 and the Hopper.:)

#1243 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,584 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:13 AM

I like the spin you try to put on that...channels Dish decided to live without. :)

You seem to be itching for an argument. I was trying to get a solid list of lost channels (now that the AMC channels have been canned) and you've been nothing but defensive and argumentative. Are you just a customer or a shareholder?

You maintain a list of carried channels, but seem a little touchy about the ones no longer being carried. It's just a simple discussion.

No need to get personal and make false accusations ...

Perhaps you should look back at your OWN questions? Channels lost? Channels DISH failed to come to terms on? Perhaps if one is going to go off topic with a list one should list all the channels DISH managed to come to terms on as well, with a good definition of "recent".

#1244 OFFLINE   broeddog

broeddog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

Talk about the kettle calling the pot black and the comment about no need to get defensive. I really like my newer service with dish since leaving D and the other thing I enjoy more was not having to read your dribble on the other provider and how they could do no wrong. If you don't have anything constructive to add to the conversation why don't you go argue about how great D is in their forum.

#1245 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

No need to get personal and make false accusations ...

Perhaps you should look back at your OWN questions? Channels lost? Channels DISH failed to come to terms on? Perhaps if one is going to go off topic with a list one should list all the channels DISH managed to come to terms on as well, with a good definition of "recent".

You are still getting defensive and avoiding the issue. I asked a simple question and you've managed to turn it into this. All someone had to do was confirm or correct the list. No need for anything else. It was never about one provider versus another. I have no idea why you've tried to twist it into that.
DTV = Digital Television

#1246 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

All someone had to do was confirm or correct the list.

Your 'list' was addressed in post 1236.

I'm sure there are quite a few channels that have been added that would far outweigh the 4 or 5 that have been dropped.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#1247 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

Your 'list' was addressed in post 1236.

I'm sure there are quite a few channels that have been added that would far outweigh the 4 or 5 that have been dropped.

No, it was not. All that was confirmed was that I was missing channels from the list. All someone has to do is confirm the revised list. No need for argument. We aren't pitting one provider against another. Both have lost channels. I'm just trying to get an accurate list.

#1248 OFFLINE   catnapped

catnapped

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

Satellite TV has too many channels - we need to get rid of some of the trash channels that are included in these programming bundles that programming producers pawn off on us.

If a niche channel cannot survive on its own - let it die.

Many of them aren't even niche channels anymore...just dumping grounds for big media conglomerate to further amortize that $50 million they spent on a reality show.

"Hey we've got 3 other channels we can show this on!"

#1249 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

How many total channels have been lost now? I've lost count.

While you insist your above post was a serious question, considering the tone some of your past Dish related posts (not going to post examples), it is easy to read this one as no more than a quick jab at Dish. You obviously haven't forgotten how many channels Dish has lost over disputes as you have listed them yourself. I don't take yours or any others posts personal but will call a spade a spade. Proceed to spin.

#1250 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

While you insist your above post was a serious question, considering the tone some of your past Dish related posts (not going to post examples), it is easy to read this one as no more than a quick jab at Dish. You obviously haven't forgotten how many channels Dish has lost over disputes as you have listed them yourself. I don't take yours or any others posts personal but will call a spade a spade. Proceed to spin.

I had forgotten how many when I posted initially. I had to do a bit of research to come up with the list I posted.

#1251 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

I was contacted yesterday directly to discuss the loss of AMC. The rep called and said they were following up on an inquiry I made two weeks ago. They asked if there was anything they could do to make sure I continued to stay a satisfied Dish customer as their records indicate that I have been with them for 12 years now. They also asked if I watched any of the AMC series and which ones.

The net of the conversation was that they could offer me a Roku if I did not have another streaming device (and a broadband connection) to purchase the shows I have been watching from Amazon. I told them that I already pay for Amazon Prime but do not use the streaming service as I do not have a compatible TV or BR/DVD player to get the service. They said they would happily send me a Roku and apply a credit to my account for 12 months.

I made sure to tell them that I thought this was an example of excellent customer service at a time when most companies appear to care less if you are a customer or not. I thanked them and applauded them for standing up to AMC and at least trying to keep subscriber costs in check to the degree that they can and remain profitable.

Thanks Dish,

JD

#1252 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

I had forgotten how many when I posted initially. I had to do a bit of research to come up with the list I posted.

Uh huh...

#1253 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

As long as they are not breaking the law the posts are welcome on this forum.

Let's be careful about getting into name calling. We have a lot of members here. Their option of "the right thing to do" may vary from yours but on this site we try to show some respect for the people behind the opinions - whether or not we agree with their opinion.

And we also try to stay on topic ... which in this thread is DISH vs AMC, not the ethics or morality of DBSTalk members. :)

DISH Network is saving an estimated $2.5 million per month not carrying AMC. If they want to throw some of that money at customers who complain it is up to DISH to decide who is "eligible" or not for the giveaways. if people want to drop down to a lower level it is fine ... DISH will collect less money from them but they will also not have to pay the channels in the tier the customers are dropping. And if they leave DISH will deal with that as well.

Perhaps by October AMC will come up with a better price. Unfortunately for them, $2.5 million dollars of lost income each month isn't balanced out by simply paying less for their programming. And losing 15% of the households they were distributed to won't help sell advertisements and infomercials.

Or perhaps AMC will stay off of DISH and survive without the cash and distribution. There is always a chance.

As I said before I haven't tuned in to all of Raibows channels since the 90's. If they come back I'l continue to ignore them.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#1254 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

What does this have to do with DirecTV? Wrong part of the forum for that.

• ESPNews HD
  • Disney Channel HD
  • Disney XD HD
  • ABC Family HD
  • MSG SD/HD
  • MSG+ SD/HD
  • SportsNet New York SD/HD
  • AMC SD/HD
  • WEtv SD
  • IFC SD
  • Sundance SD

Is that it? Just talking about the more recent deals Dish has failed to come to terms on. (not VOOM)

Again, except for one regional sports channel, you are talking about two channel owners:
  • ESPNews HD - Disney
  • Disney Channel HD - Disney
  • Disney XD HD - Disney
  • ABC Family HD - Disney
  • MSG SD/HD - Dolan
  • MSG+ SD/HD - Dolan
  • SportsNet New York SD/HD
  • AMC SD/HD - Dolan
  • WEtv SD - Dolan
  • IFC SD - Dolan
  • Sundance SD - Dolan
I don't suppose there is any significant blame on the part of the owners. You know them to be altruistic towards viewers, not the greedy thieves I think they are.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#1255 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

As I said before I haven't tuned in to all of Raibows channels since the 90's. If they come back I'l continue to ignore them.

Paul:

Think maybe it'e time to change the Platinum under your posts to Blockbuster@Home?.;):)

#1256 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

I use Roku for MLB tv and it's not working well and out of warranty. Keeps losing my wifi connection. Anyone be willing to send me one? Much much appreciated. PM me thanks again.

#1257 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

'Not a very wise' = 'Real stupid' (in my book) :mad:.

"AMC Networks has some of the most acclaimed programming on television, with shows like Mad Men, The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad."

Got to have my Walking Dead! Let's hope things can get worked out.

Absolutely the dumbest decision ever! I would pay an extra few bucks to keep The Walking Dead around a long time. I really feel for the Deadheads losing their show.
I pick things up and I put them down

#1258 OFFLINE   bnewt

bnewt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

I also contacted Dish today to voice my displeasure over loosing AMC. I was asked what series that I watched & that I could purchase that from Amazon & they would credit me for the cost or they would send me a Roku. Told the loyalty department that I wanted neither. I do not have wi fi in my home, just hard wired internet connection. She also said that there were no negotiations going on & that AMC would never be back on Dish. I told her if that was true, then I would have to look into changing to DirectTV. Tired of all of the games that Dish plays.......have a channel one day & gone the next. I know that all of the providers have this problem..........just seems like Dish has more.

May God Guide and Guard the USA!

#1259 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

I also contacted Dish today to voice my displeasure over loosing AMC. I was asked what series that I watched & that I could purchase that from Amazon & they would credit me for the cost or they would send me a Roku. Told the loyalty department that I wanted neither. I do not have wi fi in my home, just hard wired internet connection....

Roku does hard wired, too.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1260 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:36 AM

Any suggestions for what someone without internet at home can do? Breaking Bad is my all time favorite tv show.

Wait for the DVDs to be released - then the show won't be sliced and diced for AMC's (IMHO far too frequent) commercials, either.

spam firewall