Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1261 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:34 AM

No TWD = Bye Bye Dish when my current contract expires in 21 months... :(

Scott
--
Fly RC Helicopters!
Team ALeeS RC

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1262 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

"We are open to a creative proposal from AMC Networks that would resolve this situation, but at this point it looks like the channels will be down permanently. -Michael H."

Well that's the first time they've ever said that. That ball is so hard it's made out of titanium.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#1263 OFFLINE   Jon W

Jon W

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:58 AM

We upgraded to AT-200 when Mad Men started and downgraded back to AT-120 when the season was over. If I had to do it again I would wait until it came out on Amazon Streaming or DVD, this season really wasn't all that great. That being said, I would really not be happy if I lost the channel mid season so I feel the pain of TWD Fans. That show sounds really interesting, glad I didn't get hooked on it (yet)

#1264 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 739 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:07 AM

I was contacted yesterday directly to discuss the loss of AMC. The rep called and said they were following up on an inquiry I made two weeks ago. They asked if there was anything they could do to make sure I continued to stay a satisfied Dish customer as their records indicate that I have been with them for 12 years now. They also asked if I watched any of the AMC series and which ones.

The net of the conversation was that they could offer me a Roku if I did not have another streaming device (and a broadband connection) to purchase the shows I have been watching from Amazon. I told them that I already pay for Amazon Prime but do not use the streaming service as I do not have a compatible TV or BR/DVD player to get the service. They said they would happily send me a Roku and apply a credit to my account for 12 months.

I made sure to tell them that I thought this was an example of excellent customer service at a time when most companies appear to care less if you are a customer or not. I thanked them and applauded them for standing up to AMC and at least trying to keep subscriber costs in check to the degree that they can and remain profitable.

Thanks Dish,

JD

I also give dish a high five:D
I have not been with dish nearly as long as you, and yet they have been very, very user friendly. Not going for a big bash here, but, IMO, they are far superior to direct in CS relations.

Way to go dish,
I'm not going away anytime soon

#1265 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

Roku does hard wired, too.

Not the Roku 2 XD being offered by Dish.

#1266 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

Not the Roku 2 XD being offered by Dish.

That's true. I guess you could sell the XD & then use the money towards a XS which is $20 more.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1267 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

It's all about programming. I don't care which carrier is better. If they don't carry the programs I want I will not do business with them.

#1268 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,477 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

I was contacted yesterday directly to discuss the loss of AMC. The rep called and said they were following up on an inquiry I made two weeks ago. They asked if there was anything they could do to make sure I continued to stay a satisfied Dish customer as their records indicate that I have been with them for 12 years now. They also asked if I watched any of the AMC series and which ones.

The net of the conversation was that they could offer me a Roku if I did not have another streaming device (and a broadband connection) to purchase the shows I have been watching from Amazon. I told them that I already pay for Amazon Prime but do not use the streaming service as I do not have a compatible TV or BR/DVD player to get the service. They said they would happily send me a Roku and apply a credit to my account for 12 months.

I made sure to tell them that I thought this was an example of excellent customer service at a time when most companies appear to care less if you are a customer or not. I thanked them and applauded them for standing up to AMC and at least trying to keep subscriber costs in check to the degree that they can and remain profitable.

Thanks Dish,

JD

I agree. I plan on streaming through my Panasonic BD player from Amazon "Hell on Wheels" when it starts in August assuming the episode are available the same week they first air.

That will cost some money. But because I gained $15 a month by dropping down from AT200 to AT120, it's almost an even trade in the long run.

Except I am losing BBCA programming.:(

So I chatted with a courteous and helpful CSR on line. I asked for a couple of months of free Starz as I don't need anything discussed here. He gave me three free months.:)

That will give me the movies "Moneyball", "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo", and others to watch during the scripted programming summer doldrums, plus most of the new season of "Boss", all for free.

It seems like a fair trade for losing BBCA shows. I'll just have to keep an eye out for streaming opportunities for "Copper."

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#1269 OFFLINE   pitflyer

pitflyer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

I haven't called Dish yet, but I did receive two phone calls from them. The number they have for me is my home phone number, so I'm at work, but caller ID shows its definitely them.

They don't leave any message but maybe they are being proactive, or saw I had a couple of 'let me transfer you to loyalty' chat sessions that dropped because they were so backed up.

#1270 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 664 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

Sad to see so many posts here either directly attacking people or being passive aggressive in attacking people. It's just TV, no need to get personal, no one here is an owner of AMC or Dish or DirectTV - or so I assume! LOL!

I was surprised to be contacted by Dish. We haven't been with them all that long, and honestly, I'm not looking for anything free from them, I just want to watch the shows we want to watch. I'm provider agnostic: I switched from DirectTV after about 15 years with them because we could not get locals on D* when we moved. There was a dispute, etc. and Dish carried them, so we switched. I watch TV to watch TV, not get involved in ego fights between billionaires. 3 of our favorite shows on TV are on AMC, 3 of our top 10. I can't watch them on Dish any longer. We have a little time on our contract, so we will evaluate a move back to DirectTV - I'm not sure why not? We were very happy with them for our 15 years. (They have the locals now, in HD.) We also liked Dish, but having had both, I can be happy with either. So we'll have to evaluate. Simple.

Oh, since people are talking about Dish's PR campaign on this, they did offer us a Roku (turned it down) and then $10 a month for a year. They called me, so OK, thanks, I'll accept the discount (since we already pay over $100 a month.) But at the end of the day, as I've said, I'd rather pay a little more to watch our favorite shows than a little less to not be able to see them, since our provider is just our source of shows.

To those who go on about how poorly viewed Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc. were, they got pretty good ratings. And frankly, if what I wanted/expected in my TV provider is that they only provide the shows with the highest viewership and drop the shows that win all of the critical awards (Emmys, Golden Globes, Best Drama, Best Actor, etc.) then I'd be happy with a provider that just showed The Bachelorette and Two and a Half Men and other such "popular" dreck. So I don't value the shows my provider provides me by the total number of viewers, and that is why I pay for a top end package.

FWIW.

#1271 OFFLINE   K E Will

K E Will

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

It cost more than the 2.5 mill a month to produce the Walking dead season so I still want my AMC. I Dont want to leave Dish just want to hear about more negotiations the other channels in the package are catching up. Just look at the last two years Hell on wheels. and Walking Dead are just a start of Amc new programing so they deserve a rate increase just please negotiate.

#1272 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

Come on over to Directv. We still have The Walking Dead, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad. No chance they will be back on Dish. Another prime example of screw the customer for the bottom line.
I pick things up and I put them down

#1273 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

Come on over to Directv. We still have The Walking Dead, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad. No chance they will be back on Dish. Another prime example of screw the customer for the bottom line.

lol wow.

Yeah they totally screwed the customers by preventing a chain reaction that would cause our bills to sky rocket.

Rainbow wants 200% increase, if they get it despite not really offering that much then guess what. All the other little niche channels will want that same 200% increase. Dish has to make that money back one way or another ;)

There bottom line is maintaining packages at 5$ less then DTV so that they advertise the lowest packages in the business. They cant exactly do that by bending backwards to the whim of every channel owner.

#1274 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 664 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

lol wow.

Yeah they totally screwed the customers by preventing a chain reaction that would cause our bills to sky rocket.

Rainbow wants 200% increase, if they get it despite not really offering that much then guess what. All the other little niche channels will want that same 200% increase. Dish has to make that money back one way or another ;)

There bottom line is maintaining packages at 5$ less then DTV so that they advertise the lowest packages in the business. They cant exactly do that by bending backwards to the whim of every channel owner.

Great, they get to offer the lowest price compared to DirectTV. By not providing the shows winning Best Drama, Best Actor, many other Emmys, 15 Golden Globes, and on and on.

We're not talking about dropping being able to watch Pawn Stars or Cajun Justice or Auction Whatevers. Mad Men alone has won the Emmy for Best Drama 4 years in a row. Hell, it has gotten more awards and nominations than most shows on any channel:

http://en.wikipedia....ived_by_Mad_Men

Breaking Bad features the Emmy Award winning Best Actor performance, 3 years in a row.

And so on. Again, this may be a small network but it is producing some of the best shows on TV.

Tell ya what, I'll be willing to pay more to any channel that produces TV shows that consistently win the top Emmy awards (and a host of other major awards.) Line them up. All the channels that can claim they have some of the best shows produced on TV, bar none.

And not being able to watch them is, IMO, a real negative for any major TV provider. IMO, of course. ;)

#1275 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

Great, they get to offer the lowest price compared to DirectTV. By not providing the shows winning Best Drama, Best Actor, many other Emmys, 15 Golden Globes, and on and on.

We're not talking about dropping being able to watch Pawn Stars or Cajun Justice or Auction Whatevers. Mad Men alone has won the Emmy for Best Drama 4 years in a row. Hell, it has gotten more awards and nominations than most shows on any channel:

http://en.wikipedia....ived_by_Mad_Men

Breaking Bad features the Emmy Award winning Best Actor performance, 3 years in a row.

And so on. Again, this may be a small network but it is producing some of the best shows on TV.

Tell ya what, I'll be willing to pay more to any channel that produces TV shows that consistently win the top Emmy awards (and a host of other major awards.) Line them up. All the channels that can claim they have some of the best shows produced on TV, bar none.

And not being able to watch them is, IMO, a real negative for any major TV provider. IMO, of course. ;)

This has been discussed to death over the last 1k posts here.
That argument doesnt hold water at the negotiation table.

AMC has the shows that has critical acclaim but it doesnt have the shows that is bringing in the viewers. AMC wanted money on par with a channel that consistantly brings in millions more viewers and Dish was smart enough to call them on there BS.

Rainbow is like the Seth Mcfarlane of being channel owners, yeah they got some goods but its all gone to there head and they waaay over evaluated there product.

#1276 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,477 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

It cost more than the 2.5 mill a month to produce the Walking dead season so I still want my AMC. I Dont want to leave Dish just want to hear about more negotiations the other channels in the package are catching up. Just look at the last two years Hell on wheels. and Walking Dead are just a start of Amc new programing so they deserve a rate increase just please negotiate.

Gee. Do what I'm going to do ... pay Amazon (or iTunes) and stream the video.

The show you want - you know, the one that costs $2.5 mill to produce - will get your revenue because you're targeting the product you want. You get to quit paying for those hundreds and hundreds of hours of old movies you never watch.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#1277 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,893 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

It cost more than the 2.5 mill a month to produce the Walking dead season so I still want my AMC.

$2.75 million per episode for the second season (cut from $3.4 million for the first season).

AMC networks reportedly paid $14.55 million per month for production in 2011 (all shows). If the estimated $2.5 million per month DISH has been paying is the same rate as other providers paid for the show they would have been collecting $16.66 million per month in revenue. Losing DISH puts their revenue below their production costs. (And there are other costs to running a network.)

So how will they pay for Mad Men, Breaking Bad and the Walking Dead? More cuts in production? Breaking Bad is facing it's final 16 episodes ... broken up into two years of delivery ... I suppose that is one way. Make people pay for two years of AMC to get that 16 hours of content?

AMC will need to get that $2.5 million somewhere ... and if it isn't from their other distributors then it will have to come from further cuts. The reality we are facing is that everyone, regardless of provider, will be losing Breaking Bad (the show is ending) and the other shows will be lost as well if AMC can't pay for them. So perhaps AMC might want to get creative and see if they can make an offer that DISH cannot refuse?

#1278 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:02 AM

$2.75 million per episode for the second season (cut from $3.4 million for the first season).

AMC networks reportedly paid $14.55 million per month for production in 2011 (all shows). If the estimated $2.5 million per month DISH has been paying is the same rate as other providers paid for the show they would have been collecting $16.66 million per month in revenue. Losing DISH puts their revenue below their production costs. (And there are other costs to running a network.)

So how will they pay for Mad Men, Breaking Bad and the Walking Dead? More cuts in production? Breaking Bad is facing it's final 16 episodes ... broken up into two years of delivery ... I suppose that is one way. Make people pay for two years of AMC to get that 16 hours of content?

AMC will need to get that $2.5 million somewhere ... and if it isn't from their other distributors then it will have to come from further cuts. The reality we are facing is that everyone, regardless of provider, will be losing Breaking Bad (the show is ending) and the other shows will be lost as well if AMC can't pay for them. So perhaps AMC might want to get creative and see if they can make an offer that DISH cannot refuse?

The only problem is, that doesn't really add up does it? We know generally prices are based on subscribers in terms of how much they actually get, so dish would be a big dog, as would DIRECTV and Comcast. Those three together probably pay more than a quarter the rates they get in total from subscribers.

However, I doubt you can say that dish leaving them behind would put them below production costs AND therefore in need of making bigger cuts. You have to add back in ad revenue as well. It's entirely possible that. Amc doesn't make enough in subscription costs alone to break even ever. They may rely on ad dollars every bit as much as they do subscriber rates.

Of course dish being gone also hurts ad dollars, so that also has an effect. There is no easy way to figure out the dollar impact of dish leaving amc behind.

And who knows how much actual profit the networks pull in either. Hollywood accounting is ridiculous. Money is buried behind ever corner. It might be they could lose dish and all it's ad dollars and not need to change anything. Maybe the reason they made all those production pricing cuts in the first place was they wanted to make sure if they lost one of the big three providers, they would still have the same amount of profit coming in afterward, and they just planned far in advance, expecting all this to happen. Those cuts could have also been about the company feeling they where not getting their return on investment, and that it could be done just as well for less money, and therefore higher profits.

I doubt this will really affect either companies bottom line in and of itself over the long haul. It will only hurt amc if they lose another big carriage deal, to DIRECTV or Comcast, or several other providers combined.

#1279 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 664 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:14 AM

This has been discussed to death over the last 1k posts here.
That argument doesnt hold water at the negotiation table.

AMC has the shows that has critical acclaim but it doesnt have the shows that is bringing in the viewers. AMC wanted money on par with a channel that consistantly brings in millions more viewers and Dish was smart enough to call them on there BS.

Rainbow is like the Seth Mcfarlane of being channel owners, yeah they got some goods but its all gone to there head and they waaay over evaluated there product.

Almost everything said has been said here before ;)

I'm just saying that, as someone who pays a lot of money to have options when I watch TV, not being able to see the arguably best shows on TV is a major negative. If all I was interested in we're the shows with the most viewers I'd have a lower tier package and be watching Two Broke Girls and other such crap.

On another note, if I was DirectTV I'd really be planting the ads out there showing these shows and their awards and saying want to watch the Best Drama on TV for 4 years in a row? You can't see it in Dish, etc etc

#1280 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

On another note, if I was DirectTV I'd really be planting the ads out there showing these shows and their awards and saying want to watch the Best Drama on TV for 4 years in a row? You can't see it in Dish, etc etc

They won't because they know there's a good likelihood that they'll be in the same boat -- an ocean liner, really, considering the way content providers do business these days.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

Protected By... spam firewall...And...