Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1281 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

not being able to see the arguably best shows on TV is a major negative.

Depends on who's arguing. ;)

On another note, if I was DirectTV I'd really be planting the ads out there showing these shows and their awards and saying want to watch the Best Drama on TV for 4 years in a row? You can't see it in Dish, etc etc

Is there any guarantee that ANY of them will return for a fifth? No.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1282 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

Will we ever find out what AT&T agreed to pay?

Would be interesting to know if they got better rates than than dish, and by how much.

#1283 OFFLINE   dbstv

dbstv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

I use Roku for MLB tv and it's not working well and out of warranty. Keeps losing my wifi connection. Anyone be willing to send me one? Much much appreciated. PM me thanks again.

Never use streaming device with wi fi hard wire is the way to go got my entuire home 8 rooms wired only way i could share media file Blu ray video with out bluffering

#1284 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

^^

:sigh:

Sometimes I worry about this civilization.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#1285 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,861 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

Will we ever find out what AT&T agreed to pay?

Would be interesting to know if they got better rates than than dish, and by how much.

Curious about this myself. As I noted earlier, though... AT&T is likely bound by confidentiality and AMC is highly unlikely to want to go public with what they agreed to. It would either be too high and support Dish's claims OR it would be low, and undermine their ability to negotiate with other companies.

IF AMC truly wanted to put the nail in Dish and say how they refused to negotiate, though, AMC could easily come out and say what Dish was paying and what AMC wanted... as well as what they agreed to with AT&T. But don't hold your breath waiting for that info from AMC. It isn't in their best interest to reveal.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#1286 OFFLINE   wildzeke

wildzeke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

The world has too many books- we need to get rid of some of the trash books that are included in these book anthologies that book publishers pawn off on us.

If a niche book cannot survive on its own - let it die.
Book publishers should start pressing book stores to cut the bottom books off of their shelves and keep prices at the same or slightly lower levels.

If there is a demand for a book it will survive - let the others DIE!

I do not want to subsidize trash books with my dollars. I probably read fewer than 15 books all year and the rest of the family maybe doubles that number.

Who needs 200 or 250 million books - NOBODY.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Satellite TV has too many channels - we need to get rid of some of the trash channels that are included in these programming bundles that programming producers pawn off on us.

If a niche channel cannot survive on its own - let it die.

Dish and DirecTV should start pressing providers to cut the bottom channels off of their packages and keep prices at the same or slightly lower levels.

If there is a demand for a channel it will survive - let the others DIE!

I do not want to subsidize trash channels with my subscription dollars. I probably watch fewer than 15 channels all week and the rest of the family maybe doubles that number.

Who needs 200 or 250 channels - NOBODY.

#1287 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by fudpucker
Great, they get to offer the lowest price compared to DirectTV. By not providing the shows winning Best Drama, Best Actor, many other Emmys, 15 Golden Globes, and on and on.

We're not talking about dropping being able to watch Pawn Stars or Cajun Justice or Auction Whatevers. Mad Men alone has won the Emmy for Best Drama 4 years in a row. Hell, it has gotten more awards and nominations than most shows on any channel:

http://en.wikipedia.....ved_by_Mad_Men

Breaking Bad features the Emmy Award winning Best Actor performance, 3 years in a row.

And so on. Again, this may be a small network but it is producing some of the best shows on TV.

Tell ya what, I'll be willing to pay more to any channel that produces TV shows that consistently win the top Emmy awards (and a host of other major awards.) Line them up. All the channels that can claim they have some of the best shows produced on TV, bar none.

And not being able to watch them is, IMO, a real negative for any major TV provider. IMO, of course.

This has been discussed to death over the last 1k posts here.
That argument doesnt hold water at the negotiation table.

When I was at the "negotiation table" back in the 80's and 90's, sometimes that argument held water, sometimes it didn't, but it was always on the table.

But hey, what do I know? ;)
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#1288 OFFLINE   TheSpider

TheSpider

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

maby they will began to sale it as a stand along or pack like the canadgian packs. maby a package with amc sundancse ifc and we. wisht they wood at leest follow up on the pormise to give qwality replacemants. hdnet hello? they shoud give us lifeitme reel women and new chanels that are repacements for each of these lost. it wood be more pricey this way but at leest them that wont it can pay for it sepreteley. im thanking it wont be back sadley. maby im wrong time will tale.

#1289 OFFLINE   jostanton

jostanton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

Personally I could never stand for the endless commercial breaks on AMC. I will only watch movies on a commercial channel. Even if it means fuzzy SD. They are no loss for me.

#1290 OFFLINE   TheSpider

TheSpider

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

Personally I could never stand for the endless commercial breaks on AMC. I will only watch movies on a commercial channel. Even if it means fuzzy SD. They are no loss for me.

plus won. i felt like ifc lost alot they ofered when they put comercials in. befour that it was won of our most washed chanels.

#1291 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

That's why I have a DVR. I never set through commercials. I know a lot of people are saying no loss and ha ha but what if next time it's your channel? I hate to say this but I would love to see the people saying no loss and ha ha to lose their favorite channel or channels.

plus won. i felt like ifc lost alot they ofered when they put comercials in. befour that it was won of our most washed chanels.

I agree with you on IFC. They added commercials and it seems like they cut the movies. Again I have a DVR so I'm not worried about commercials but cutting a movie sucks.

Can I ask you guys a question? Why are you all bringing up commercial breaks? I would assume most of us have a DVR. It's not hard to FF through them.

#1292 OFFLINE   wi6397

wi6397

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

:confused:
How long do you dry your channels after you wash them????

#1293 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

That's why I have a DVR. I never set through commercials. I know a lot of people are saying no loss and ha ha but what if next time it's your channel? I hate to say this but I would love to see the people saying no loss and ha ha to lose their favorite channel or channels.

A lot of us did like the programming AMC provided, I my self am a huge fan of The Walking Dead comics (and because of my fanboyism was mostly disgusted with the terrible second season).

AMC was "one of my channels" , except I'm looking at the bigger picture here. AMC over evaluated there product and got what was coming to them. Its not like we wont be able to see the following seasons of our favorite shows.
edit:

Can I ask you guys a question? Why are you all bringing up commercial breaks? I would assume most of us have a DVR. It's not hard to FF through them.

Because even with the advent of the DVR (and ad-hopper) there are still instances where you might be stuck watching live tv.

People also bring up commercials to point out how far away from the original product Rainbow takes there channels.
AMC is like the MTV of classic movies but with more annoying commercials.

#1294 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

A lot of us did like the programming AMC provided, I my self am a huge fan of The Walking Dead comics (and because of my fanboyism was mostly disgusted with the terrible second season).

AMC was "one of my channels" , except I'm looking at the bigger picture here. AMC over evaluated there product and got what was coming to them. Its not like we wont be able to see the following seasons of our favorite shows.
edit:

Because even with the advent of the DVR (and ad-hopper) there are still instances where you might be stuck watching live tv.

People also bring up commercials to point out how far away from the original product Rainbow takes there channels.
AMC is like the MTV of classic movies but with more annoying commercials.

Fair enough! Besides sports I don't really watch live TV. I usually wait 15 or so minutes to watch a show that just started.

I really really want to go with Dish. I am so impressed with the Hopper. I'm just kind of afraid of Charlie. It's like what will he do next? Will he go to war with ESPN or will tell The Discovery Channel and The History Channel to go to hell? I'm also scared some high court will rule against The Hopper and they will lose the commercial skip and PTAT.

#1295 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

Has anyone gotten any deals while currently on the Dish America plan? (Roku, Cinemax, HD for life, etc?)

#1296 OFFLINE   RVRambler

RVRambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

I for one, think that as long as I am paying for a channel, I do not need to see the Ads, these channels are being paid twice, once is enough!

Hell, I think many of these channels should PAY to be carried, as I assume the shopping channels must have to, right? Who would pay for them? Not me!

Some channels I am completely willing to pay for, but ONLY in HD, SD should be dropped completely, don't watch them at all!!
(1 exception, ESPN-U during college basketball season, DTV has it in HD!!).

Billionaires in a P|*ssing contest, Charlie you have enough money buddy, stop being a chump & settle some of these disputes!!
Rambling 'Round n RV'

VIP-722k
1000.2, Dual DPP rooftop

#1297 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

Has anyone gotten any deals while currently on the Dish America plan? (Roku, Cinemax, HD for life, etc?)

No one can get HD free for life while on a Dish America plan, it would be redundant.

#1298 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,252 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:50 AM

The only problem is, that doesn't really add up does it?

Sure it does. Take the various source numbers we have and do the math.

The production budgets for 2011 was published in an article complaining about AMC slashing their productions. Divide by 12 and you get $14.55 million.

Based on numbers noted in previous lawsuits DISH has approximately 10 million customers at AT200 or above (AMC's tier). Based on AMC getting an average 25c per subscriber that's $2.5 million. Some media reports say DISH subscribers were 15% of AMC's subscriber base ... which puts AMC's subscription based revenue (before losing DISH) at $16.66 million and after losing DISH at $14.14 million - which is below the production cost for 2011.

I don't know if large providers pay more than small, but using an industry average for what AMC gets should still come out to the $16.66 million. And if large providers like DISH are paying more that just makes the lost of their subscribers even more painful for AMC.

However, I doubt you can say that dish leaving them behind would put them below production costs AND therefore in need of making bigger cuts. You have to add back in ad revenue as well.

Ad revenue that you note could drop due to advertisers reaching 15% less households.

I don't see how losing $2.5 million plus each month helps AMC. Do you? ~15% of subscriber revenue is not something that any network would want to see go away.

A couple of years ago The Weather Channel thought better of losing DISH subscribers. They took their carriage for granted and when they wanted more money they found out they could be replaced. Looking at losing nearly ALL of DISH's customers (being in AT120 and other basic packages) and the percentage of their households they would use they came to an agreement - and that agreement helped other providers as well as TWC dropped their il-advised movie nights (featuring any movie with weather in it) and got back to providing the weather. (It is hoping too much to get MTV to return to music videos at the next negotiation. :))

When is one of AMC's few good shows back on AMC with new episodes? Breaking Bad with eight episodes starting a week from Sunday? Walking Dead off until October? Mad Men done until next year? Perhaps Breaking Bad will be the test ... AMC can see how it does with 15% of their households gone.

#1299 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:45 AM

If Dish loses 50k subs, canceling or refusing to sign up, due to AMC at an ARPU of $75 that's 3,750,000 a month loss for them. Then add in the retention offers to placate those who may or may not care, probably around 5 million budgeted, and it's not necessarily a huge savings then.

It's not going to be good for either company compared to what could be and neither company will go out of business for it. It's easy to vilify companies but in the end it's just business. If AMC got their price increases and created 3 more shows that had the ratings and reviews that Mad Men, BB, and Walking Dead do then people would say that it was a great thing.

Of course the people who stick around in this thread are going to be the supporters because the people who really care that much about losing AMC will just leave anyways. The glaring difference in this dispute is the simple fact that DISH refused to even bother to negotiate with AMC.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1300 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:55 AM

While I can appreciate, the passion of the handful of people that want to watch their programs like “Mad Men” the bottom line is VIEWERS and AMC just does not pull in viewer numbers.

While Mad Men is perhaps, a critical success it is far from a ratings powerhouse and neither are any of the other programs that have been mentioned here, with the exception being The Walking Dead.

While the final episode of MM ended on a high note (2.7 million viewers), the program routinely placed in the mid-20 for cable programming on Sunday nights. Last Sunday night at 9 pm finds that HBO’s True Blood had 4.5 million, TNT’s Falling Skies had 3.3 million, while The History Channels Ice Road Truckers drew 2.7 million. Moreover, in what can only show that the survival of the human race is in doubt 2.6 million watched E’s Keeping Up with the Kardashians.

TNT’s new show Dallas had 3.3 million viewers last week, a rerun of NCIS on USA brings in 2.6 million or a rerun of The Big Bang Theory on TBS has 2.5 million. Therefore, critical appeal and awards garnered offer little in the way of defense as to why a carrier should or should not offer programming.

In the end, it is only a television program. I would hope that the human race could show as much fervor over something that really mattered in the world!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...