Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

They might... if those channels want to raise their rates higher than Dish thinks its customers would continue to pay!

Do you want your channels to double in price every time negotiations are renewed?

You mention negotiations, but it looks to me that even though there is about seven weeks left in the contract, there are no negotiations going on. All AMC Networks have already been removed from the Channel Line-up Card PDF's. How is that helping their customers? And the timing of the announcement, right after Dish losing a court ruling, makes it look like a personal vendetta by Dish towards AMC Networks. Once again, that isn't helping Dish's customers either.

Dish mentions that AMC isn't worth it's perceived value due to it's programing being available through alternate sources. But what is Dish's value if they aren't carrying a top 20 cable network (AMC), don't have a top network (Disney channels) in HD or have 24/7 HD RSN's (or in NYC any RSN's at all)? That's like the pot calling the kettle black.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Nah, I just want the right to cancel without penalty if they stop providing me with the services I had when I signed the contract. (Of course, by that token, Dish would have the right to increase my bill every time they added a new channel).

Or just give me the choice on whether I want to pay extra for AMC...

I understand why Dish has to negotiate the way it does, I just wish both sides could be more honest about it.

They don't have that right currently?

#123 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,408 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

I can get Game of Thrones, Weeds, Californication, etc. on amazon / iTunes, not to mention thousands of movies.
Guess Dish better think about dropping HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc.

This is where economic analysis is important. HBO and Showtime together cost $26 a month or $312 a year. Right now "Game of Thrones" season 1 is $28.99 to stream at Amazon. Season 7 of "Weeds" is $20.99.

It appears one could stream from Amazon after the season is over 14± series a year from these two premium channels. But if you watch fewer series shows, you can order the premium when a series starts and cancel when their are no series on that you want to watch. While you are subscribed, you can pretty much record all the "premier" movies you missed. Careful scheduling can save you money and get you extra content for the same dollar.

Plus, from Dish's point of view and mine, these premiums don't increase the cost of a package for people don't want the content. This is an important issue as far as I'm concerned.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#124 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

To me it seems that Dish saying that they do not want to pay a higher rate to AMC because they don't want to raise our rates, yet if they in turn dump AMC and save X amount of dollars for Dish, they will not pass that savings on to us. I'm just sayin.

#125 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,581 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

So, when does the plug get pulled? Is there a set date, or just 'sometime in May or June'?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#126 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

To me it seems that Dish saying that they do not want to pay a higher rate to AMC because they don't want to raise our rates, yet if they in turn dump AMC and save X amount of dollars for Dish, they will not pass that savings on to us. I'm just sayin.

Did your rates go up when you got a new channel? (MLB) nope.

#127 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

All AMC Networks have already been removed from the Channel Line-up Card PDF's. How is that helping their customers?

It's helping prospective customers by not giving them false expectations if the channels are removed. It's helping Dish by reducing the chance a new customer will run to a law firm to file a class action suit.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#128 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

It's helping prospective customers by not giving them false expectations if the channels are removed. It's helping Dish by reducing the chance a new customer will run to a law firm to file a class action suit.

But the channel line up cards in hopper boxes still state AMC is part of the T200 package. So it is a little misleading regardless.

Lets see.....they (Dish) removes AMC and I get no reduction in fees. I have no options to pay more for the channel. Then, if I do want to watch some of the new AMC shows I have to pay $2 or $3 a show through Amazon, etc........screw that! AMC you have lost a customer.

I personally think the streaming video pricing model is a rip off. For $3 (HD) you can only watch an episode only once. You can buy the entire season blu ray for the same price (entire season watched online once). Not to mention you have to deal with internet quotas if you stream too much.

And what about all the people that don't have internet connections that can support streaming video......

#129 OFFLINE   dough_boy747

dough_boy747

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

i drop the price of the packeges if they do drop them.

#130 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

That part of my post goes with the part that was before it. In other words, Dish has already decided to the pull those channels without any negotiations. Now how is Dish not trying to keep those channels for their customers helping their customers? You would think that they would try until the last minute to keep them.

And the argument about Dish doing their best to keep prices down for their customers is pretty naive. Dish is always doing their best to keep their costs down. A subtle difference. But in this case, I believe that Dish is doing their best to hurt AMC Networks over the VOOM lawsuit.

#131 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

does dish raise your rates every time they add a new HD channel? NOOOO
But i don't see you bitch about that .

#132 OFFLINE   sliderbob

sliderbob

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

Why don't they offer it as an a la carte movie channel. I'm sure that those, who want it, will spend a couple of extra buck to have it.

#133 OFFLINE   sliderbob

sliderbob

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

I've noticed on Dish's web site that if you look at the channels on the packages...AMC is gone from the Welcome Pack, the AT200 and the AT250...IFC is also gone and a couple of others. I guess they really mean it when those channels will be gone.

#134 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

I've noticed on Dish's web site that if you look at the channels on the packages...AMC is gone from the Welcome Pack, the AT200 and the AT250...IFC is also gone and a couple of others. I guess they really mean it when those channels will be gone.

Yeah, it is a done deal. AMC is gone for good. :(

#135 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Plus, from Dish's point of view and mine, these premiums don't increase the cost of a package for people don't want the content. This is an important issue as far as I'm concerned.

A very important distinction.

#136 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Nah. I worked for Dish during the FX takedown and many other potential takedowns. They learned there lesson with the FX channels takedown, call volume increased dramatically during that time, for a ton of reasons.
Alot of it was new customers looking to use it as a way out of there contract, citing that the website listed the Channels as available before they signed up.

Ofcourse they didnt hold any legal ground but they still called in and call escalations to supervisors, loyalty department and even specialty departments like ERT were at an all time high.

I wouldnt use there takedown on the website as an indicator that there playing hardball in the negotiations. Fact is we have just under 2 months or so before the possible take down and theres plenty of time for this to be resolved, regardless of what the online line up lists.

I'd reckon there just getting prepared for the worst, I wouldnt be surprised in the slightest if the agents werent already briefed with quick uptraining regarding it and scripts regarding the whole situation and all the potential variables are probably already saved and bookmarked by most competent agents.

#137 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

Yeah, it is a done deal. AMC is gone for good. :(

Guessing you don't negotiate? :)

#138 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

Why don't they offer it as an a la carte movie channel. I'm sure that those, who want it, will spend a couple of extra buck to have it.

AMC would have to agree to that, which I doubt they would.

#139 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

AMC would have to agree to that, which I doubt they would.

Exactly... Dish would probably be game to set a much higher price for any channel IF that channel could be delivered a la carte because then Dish only pays when someone specifically wants that channel at that price.

Naah... don't read too much into that. It takes less than a few minutes to make those modifications to the Web site and keep the old data as a backup... so within seconds they could restore all the stuff they just edited out IF a new contract is signed.

But... Dish gives more of an appearance of being serious if they go ahead and start taking down the info.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#140 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

does dish raise your rates every time they add a new HD channel? NOOOO
But i don't see you bitch about that .

Please! Dish can ad any channel they want without asking me. I didn't ask for it nor did I agree to pay for it. But I did agree to pay for a package that included AMC. It was their special package and I agreed to pay for that package. They offered that package. They chose the specific stations for that package. Those included stations were designed to entice customers to choose that package. So you think it's OK for them to just drop channels from that package at their whim? Sure they can do it. But that don't make it right. As far as me not bitching about Dish adding a station, you're correct there. I don't bitch when I get a raise either because hey, maybe they think I deserve it. I think most of us would bitch if they, out of the blue, lowered our wage though. Same thing here. They lowered the value of my package and increased the value of their package.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...