Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1461 OFFLINE   jimb

jimb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

If the model ever gets changed to a la cart, i'll be downsizing big time. The danger is that dish and the channels are going to lose a lot of income if that happens. I'm okay with it because I would only pick up a few good channels I want and will pay less per month. No incentive to get the big bundles the way certain channels like AMC keep dropping off.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1462 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

If you would be willing to pay AMC the same per month that you pay Showtime, please write and tell AMC that... Maybe AMC will agree to be a la carte on Dish and then you can pay them as much as they ask.

The problem is that AMC wants to think of themselves like a premium channel, but late at night they run infomercials and want you to still pay them to do that.

I like Walking Dead as much as anything else I watch too... but I'm going to buy the Blu-rays anyway... so if I can't watch on TV, that's fine... I'll buy the Blu-rays and it will all be new to me at that time.

The way I have heard is DISH has offered A La Cart to alot of channel programmers and the answer is "No"! "We want to be in your base package"!
Which would mean a higher increase of price to AT120 which would cause DISH's base packages to not be the cheapest priced packages in America.

So I see the fight continuing and if the channel programmers can't change their way of thinking I can see alot of channels not being on DISH anymore.
It all depends where that channel is rated on the viewer's list and how much increase they want that will determine what increase they are offered and how important they would be considered to be in Dish's guide.

Also if the channel programmer won't negotiate if I were DISH I would also notify the advertisers that are on that channel about how many people are not seeing their ads on DISH anymore.;)

#1463 OFFLINE   dough_boy747

dough_boy747

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

i hope that they do sattle it up, because i do love to watch AMC, thats about it. But to swich to Direct tv or something alse, just for get it i stay with Dish, thats about it for me.

#1464 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

AMC is apparently running Breaking Bad in two 8 episode segments. When I looked on iTunes it indicates you can buy the season in HD for $21.99 while individual episodes are $2.99. It doesn't say whether the Season purchase is only the first 8 episodes for this year or whether it includes both groups. I am guessing it is only the first 8 which makes it about $2.75/HD episode. Half that if it does include all 16.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1465 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 711 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

Yeah I doubt the a la carte approach is ever going to be widespread. It is a pain; I'd pay a dollar a month more to keep AMC (and we have gone over the "yeah but then everyone will go up etc. arguments so no need to rehash the same stuff again.) I was looking to reduce my bill some and doing a comparison of the 200 package and the 250 package; there are only 3 of the extra 50 that we would miss, but those we watch enough that we pay an extra $10 per month to keep the 250 package.
fwiw

#1466 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

In one of the more curious statistics, from The Hollywood Reporter we learn about "Breaking Bad":

The drama pulled in 2.9 million viewers during its inaugural broadcast 10 p.m. ET, growing 14 percent over last summer's debut and making it the most-watched episode to date.

Additionally, Breaking Bad saw a 34 percent season over season gain among adults 18-49, with 1.9 million tuning into the broadcast.

It's possible to interpret this as meaning Dish was right when it talked about low viewership as AMC not being on Dish appeared to have little impact on "Breaking Bad" ratings.

Incidentally, if you don't want to watch the episode streamed free by AMC, it's available at Amazon, SD for $1.99 and HD for $2.99. :rolleyes:

Edited by phrelin, 17 July 2012 - 04:29 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#1467 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

Per Zap2it, Longmire pulled 4.5 million on A&E.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#1468 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying anything good or bad about "Breaking Bad" ratings other than Sunday's episode was the most watched episode ever and they got it without Dish viewers. Pulling 2.9 million is neither good nor bad for a cable show.

The week ending July 15 (which includes the Sunday from the prior week) saw cable shows other than sports pulling these ratings:
  • The Closer, Mon-09:00PM 6.1 million Viewers
  • Perception, Mon-10:00PM 5.6 million Viewers
  • Rizzoli & Isles, Tue-09:00PM 5.5 million Viewers
  • Swamp People, Thu-09:00PM 5.2 million Viewers
  • Pawn Stars, Mon-10:30PM 5.1 million Viewers
  • Pawn Stars, Mon-10:00PM 4.8 million Viewers
  • Storage Wars, Tue-10:30PM 4.7 million Viewers
  • True Blood, Sun-09:04PM 4.6 million Viewers
  • Longmire, Sun-10:00PM 4.5 million Viewers
  • Burn Notice, Thu-09:00PM 4.4 million Viewers
  • Storage Wars, Tue-10:00PM 4.3 million Viewers
  • Mountain Men, Thu-10:00PM 4.2 million Viewers
  • Royal Pains, Wed-09:00PM 4.1 million Viewers
  • American Pickers, Mon-09:00PM 4.0 million Viewers
  • Shake It Up, Sun-08:30PM 3.9 million Viewers
  • Jessie, Sun-09:30PM 3.9 million Viewers
  • NCIS, Wed-08:00PM 3.8 million Viewers
  • A.N.T. Farm, Sun-09:00PM 3.7 million Viewers
  • Suits, Thu-10:01PM 3.7 million Viewers
Most episodes of most of the hot shows on AMC never make it into the top 10 prime time cable shows for the week. Once in a while, but not regularly.

The folks at Dish knew that and they could sample their own customers. I think Dish is being honest - AMC draws relatively few viewers from Dish customers. I was one of the few, but I can't argue with the logic.

"Swamp People" on the History Channel with 5.2 million viewers draws almost 80% more viewers than the award winning "Breaking Bad", making "Swamp People" worth much more money to advertisers and the History Channel worth more money than AMC to the cable and satellite companies.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#1469 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:45 AM

"Swamp People" on the History Channel with 5.2 million viewers draws almost 80% more viewers than the award winning "Breaking Bad", making "Swamp People" worth much more money to advertisers and the History Channel worth more money than AMC to the cable and satellite companies.

Perhaps most damning on that list you posted... Breaking Bad improved its ratings over last season BUT still a repeat of NCIS has nearly 1 million more viewers!

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#1470 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:18 AM

Playing Devil's advocate, how many more viewers MIGHT it have had if it had been on Dish? Would there have been any mentionable difference?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#1471 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

One thing I noticed about the list is how many reality shows are in it. I know it's far too late in the game to rant about it, but it still sucks.

My wife and I have been watching Longmire and really do enjoy it. But it is aimed towards a totally different audience compared to the AMC shows. Now my wife is a Hallmark fan and hates those AMC shows that I enjoy. But such is life. There are a couple of things that bother me about Longmire though. How many murders can a county in the middle of nowhere have? And the constant bleeping of naughty words. Come on this show airs at 10:00pm Sunday night. Kids aren't watching it. :rolleyes:

#1472 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

The list kind of surprised me also. I have been watching the first three but don't watch any of the others. Not sure Perception will stay on my list, we'll give it a couple more episodes to see. The Closer is in its last season so when it dies and if Perception hasn't improved I am down for only one on the list. No wonder so many of my favorite shows get cancelled.....
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1473 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

I've been trying to watch "Rizzoli & Isles", but I'm getting seriously annoyed with the side stories. The nosey, whiney Mommy needs to go away, and I have no idea what they're trying to do with the other fractured family. Leave the families out and stick to the cases.

Same reason I stopped watching JAG so many years back.

#1474 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

I've been trying to watch "Rizzoli & Isles", but I'm getting seriously annoyed with the side stories. The nosey, whiney Mommy needs to go away, and I have no idea what they're trying to do with the other fractured family. Leave the families out and stick to the cases.

Same reason I stopped watching JAG so many years back.

I've said this before... Rizzoli & Isles is the anti-Law & Order.

Law & Order focused on the cases, be damned the character development.

Rizzoli & Isles is about the characters, be damned the cases.

#1475 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

Come on this show airs at 10:00pm Sunday night. Kids aren't watching it. :rolleyes:

I've never heard anything bleeped on Longmire. It all seems to be in an appropriate context. Each episode has about three mentions of the popular vulgar term for feces and there have been some recent references to something many diabetics do to their fingers when testing blood sugar levels.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#1476 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

Rizzoli & Isles is about the characters, be damned the cases.

So is that good or bad?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#1477 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

So is that good or bad?

Now that's the million dollar question. I like the actors... but if I'm honest... the show itself is not that great. It isn't horrible, and every once in a while you get a glimpse of how much better it could be. The scripts/plots are somewhat lacking... and admittedly, the sometimes almost-by-magic solving of the case each week is a head-scratcher.

#1478 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:36 AM

So is that good or bad?

It might be OK for an afternoon soap, but for show about a cop and an M.E., it sucks eggs. And I still say it's a remake of 'Crossing Jordan' with the roles somewhat reversed.

#1479 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:47 AM

It might be OK for an afternoon soap, but for show about a cop and an M.E., it sucks eggs. And I still say it's a remake of 'Crossing Jordan' with the roles somewhat reversed.

I agree but women like it and need their viewing preferences.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#1480 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

I've never heard anything bleeped on Longmire. It all seems to be in an appropriate context. Each episode has about three mentions of the popular vulgar term for feces and there have been some recent references to something many diabetics do to their fingers when testing blood sugar levels.

A couple of episodes had some things bleeped out. It was probably a word that meant a "sex act", but I'm not sure as I wasn't ready to read lips. I bet they show up in the dvd set.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...