Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1481 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

I've never heard anything bleeped on Longmire. It all seems to be in an appropriate context. Each episode has about three mentions of the popular vulgar term for feces and there have been some recent references to something many diabetics do to their fingers when testing blood sugar levels.

What Longmire is missing is the potty mouth humor from Vic in the books. A great deal of her vocabulary begins with "f". Now back to AMC...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1482 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,534 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

See how compelling the programming on AMC is? A couple of weeks after the drop, and more people are talking about shows on other networks :)

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#1483 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

Until the Emmy nominations were announced today:

• 17 nominations for Mad Men
  • Breaking Bad -- nominated for best drama
  • 34 total nominations for a network with "only one day of quality programming."

-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#1484 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,041 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

[*]17 nominations for Mad Men
[*]Breaking Bad -- nominated for best drama
[*]34 total nominations for a network with "only one day of quality programming."

17 nominations between how many shows total?

#1485 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Had to weigh in here - I usu. don't do "opinions" on forums. But I hate Hallmark and any shows oriented towards "women", despite the fact that I am one! :D Not all women want to see sappy romances, weak plots, and reality TV. Hubby and I both love Longmire, the AMC shows, Damages, Homeland, British mysteries, and anything with an in-depth intelligent plot.

We're seriously considering a switch to DTV, as we really love AMC and IFC. Independent movies are very entertaining to us.

To me, the three scariest words in television are "Lifetime Original Movie". :eek2:
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#1486 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

Emmies are industry self-backslapping. Not relevant in the real world.

Had to weigh in here - I usu.

usu?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#1487 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,534 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

• 34 total nominations for a network with "only one day of quality programming."

So...

Explain again, then, how AMC didn't air Mad Men in 2011 due to a rate dispute with the producers? I mean, if you have a show that is nominated for emmys and you want to use that as reason to increase your rates... why would you argue with the showrunners to the point of delaying the series an entire year?

And...

Why are they canceling Breaking Bad then? It is on its last season now... split across two years because they couldn't be bothered to air all 16 or so episodes in the same final year so you get half now and half in 2013.

IF the shows are that good... AMC must be run by monkeys to want to take such shows off the air, right?

#1488 OFFLINE   eric032706

eric032706

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

What will likely happen with the HD channel bandwidth that Dish used to broadcast AMC? Will it be saved for if AMC comes back, possibly used to upgrade an existing SD channel, or just stockpiled? Just wondering. Looks like Directv turned on TCMHD. I don't know if this was already in the works, or Directv is just a fast mover and shaker.

#1489 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

Thank You! The great thing about AMC is the fact they don't green light just anything and throw it on the air. They don't do reality programming. Their really juts starting out doing the original programming thing. It took TNT a while to build up some shows. Just my 2 cents

#1490 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

So...

Explain again, then, how AMC didn't air Mad Men in 2011 due to a rate dispute with the producers? I mean, if you have a show that is nominated for emmys and you want to use that as reason to increase your rates... why would you argue with the showrunners to the point of delaying the series an entire year?

And...

Why are they canceling Breaking Bad then? It is on its last season now... split across two years because they couldn't be bothered to air all 16 or so episodes in the same final year so you get half now and half in 2013.

IF the shows are that good... AMC must be run by monkeys to want to take such shows off the air, right?

Let's not forget how long it took HBO to come to terms with the cast of The Sopranos. Hell they would be off the air for a year and a half sometimes. Those things happen. HBO split up The Sopranos last season . ABC family does it all the time with their shows.

Even Hollywood split up the last Twilight movie. Why more $$$$$$$$$. I hate those movies!

#1491 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

The shows are that good. You can argue all day about whether AMC was asking for too much money or about the ratings but you lose credibility when you try to argue about the quality of these shows.

And yeah AMC had some back and forth with some of these shows just like you hear from most networks. No better no worse.

But the fact is that AMC decided to step up and carry some shows that most channels would not carry, some shows with acting and writing superior to most of the dreck on TV these days. Because most channels won't carry shows that don't have huge ratings. So most channels carry ten versions of singing competitions, reality crap, pawn stars/kings/queens/cats, everything with a Kardashian, etc. If you want to use ratings to argue that the AMC shows really aren't high quality then you must be happy with the networks who won't take a risk beyond The Bachelorette.

Again - did AMC ask too much money? That's a reasonable argument.

#1492 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,534 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

Thank You! The great thing about AMC is the fact they don't green light just anything and throw it on the air. They don't do reality programming.

But they do overnight infomercials!

How about instead of selling their late night block to infomercials, they air some of that quality emmy-nominated TV instead?

The sure do like green-lighting those infomercials!

#1493 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,534 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

And yeah AMC had some back and forth with some of these shows just like you hear from most networks. No better no worse.

I suppose... but consider:

Dish drops AMC over rates, and Dish is bad for not wanting to air emmy-nominated programming.

HOWEVER

AMC doesn't air Mad Men in 2012, and that's ok?

So... IF AMC decided not to pay for Mad Men it's acceptable... but Dish decided the same thing and somehow they are against quality TV? I'm wondering why AMC isn't getting more flack for what they have done to their own shows... running people off the shows, cutting budgets, asking to have more product placement, less episodes, skip a year, split the final season in half, etc.

#1494 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

But they do overnight infomercials!

How about instead of selling their late night block to infomercials, they air some of that quality emmy-nominated TV instead?

The sure do like green-lighting those infomercials!

Late night I'm asleep most people are. I work and have a family. That's why prime time is 8pm to 11pm.

If you don't like their shows that's fine. I hate everything on MTV and I'm not a reality TV fan. All I know is The shows AMC does put on are very good. People will have different opinions on that. It just amazes me that since it's AMC Vs Dish some people are bringing up everything but the kitchen sink to make them look bad. Ratings, cut budgets. Wow it's just TV!

Speaking of budgets and production..... Has anyone ever got into a show by David E Kelly??? All his shows get budget cuts. The last season of The Practice they cut 4 regulars that had been on the show since the start. They did the same thing with Boston Legal and Boston Public. Harry's Law was NBC's 2nd most watch show. They cut it and cut it and finally canceled it. It was their #2 show!!! They cut it because of the 18 to 49 ratings. AMC is not alone.

#1495 OFFLINE   jimb

jimb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Has anyone ever got into a show by David E Kelly???

Not since Ally McBeal... Guess I'm behind!

#1496 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Late night I'm asleep most people are. I work and have a family. That's why prime time is 8pm to 11pm.

So, the millions of people that work other hours, or are retired or unemployed or unable to work due to illness or handicap don't matter?

#1497 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,534 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

To be fair... prime time is prime time because of tradition... there are a lot of people that work at home and make their own hours as well as people working the night shift.

But that wasn't the point I was making anyway. You said that AMC doesn't just "green light anything"... and yet they kind of do... They run infomercials in the overnight... and WeTV has some reality TV.

Don't forget, this dispute was about the package of AMC, IFC, Sundance, and WeTV. WeTV does air reality TV do they not? And it was an all-or-none negotiation... It wasn't as if Dish could just take AMC with the award winning programming and pass on the others.

If you don't like their shows that's fine.

I like the Walking Dead. I also watched the companion Talking Dead show... and tried, but didn't care for, Comic Book Men. I'll miss Walking Dead IF they aren't back on Dish by October... but since I will buy the Blu-rays anyway... I'll get to watch the shows eventually.

It just amazes me that since it's AMC Vs Dish some people are bringing up everything but the kitchen sink to make them look bad. Ratings, cut budgets. Wow it's just TV!

I agree... it is just TV... which is why I was fine with Dish dropping them. AMC is the one bad-mouthing Dish. If you notice, Dish hasn't actually said anything bad about AMC and has encouraged people to watch the shows on AMC via other means. AMC, however, has told people to leave Dish.

And the truth is the truth... AMC argues they want more money, but then doesn't want to spend that money on their shows... so what do they want the money for? That seems fair to ask to me.

#1498 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

I swear, sometimes it's like spinning a 45 on a full size platter without the little doohickey in the middle.

#1499 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

I swear, sometimes it's like spinning a 45 on a full size platter without the little doohickey in the middle.

Is this directed at Stewart? (based on his avatar)

#1500 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

I think it misses the point trying to figure out how good a couple of programs are on AMC. The question is, do they rate where USA and TNT are for example, because that's the rate per subscriber they are trying to attain. (Not all at once) And then, is what they are asking worth it to be made to carry their other networks that for the most part no one watches.

It's more than how good two or three programs are, you can be sure if AMC dropped the demand to carry all the other networks, Dish would have been willing to negotiate more. Exactly what Direct TV is doing with Viacom. Think of it like a can of tuna fish. Used to be, say 8 ounces. But as price increased to keep it from escalating they put less in, say 6 ounces, effectively raising the price per ounce, but not for the can. That's what carriers are being forced to do. Rather than raise your rates as high as they would have to, they want to not carry some of the least popular channels, probably then pay a little more to keep the ones that are watched, and then not have to raise prices as much.

Edited by tampa8, 19 July 2012 - 07:46 PM.

spam firewall