Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1521 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

The one thing this thread has done for me is to make me aware of Breaking Bad and Mad Men. I did watch Hell on Wheels last year and was looking forward to it starting next month so I will be grabbing it probably on iTunes. Since the other two shows have already had several seasons, I can easily order their episodes on DVD from Blockbuster.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1522 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

Interesting to note the Emmy Drama nominees. AMC clearly has a solid showing.
Outstanding Drama
"Boardwalk Empire"
"Breaking Bad"
"Downton Abbey"
"Game of Thrones"
"Homeland"
"Mad Men"

Outstanding Actress In A Drama
"Kathy Bates, "Harry's Law"
"Glenn Close, "Damages"
"Claire Danes, "Homeland"
"Michelle Dockery, "Downton Abbey"
"Julianna Margulies, "The Good Wife"
"Elisabeth Moss, "Mad Men"

Outstanding Actor in a Drama
Hugh Bonneville, "Downton Abbey"
Steve Buscemi, "Boardwalk Empire"
Bryan Cranston, "Breaking Bad"
Michael C. Hall, "Dexter"
Jon Hamm, "Mad Men"
Damian Lewis, "Homeland"

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama
Aaron Paul, "Breaking Bad"
Giancarlo Esposito, "Breaking Bad"
Brendan Coyle, "Downton Abbey"
Jim Carter, "Downton Abbey" Jared Harris, "Mad Men"
Peter Dinklage, "Game of Thrones"

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama
Archie Panjabi, "The Good Wife"
Anna Gunn, "Breaking Bad"
Maggie Smith, "Downton Abbey"
Joanne Froggatt, "Downton Abbey"
Christina Hendricks, "Mad Men"
Christine Baranski, "The Good Wife"
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1523 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

^^ Already discussed, as well as the irrelevance of 'awards' shows.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#1524 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

Interesting thread - I wish I had time to read all of the posts. Losing AMC and IFC will definitely have us switching to DTV, as we watch a lot on those networks. We have been satisfied customers for eight years, so I am hoping this won't happen.

And for Say What?, who questioned my use of "usu." I was using it an an abbreviation for "usually". Sorry if that wasn't clear from the context.
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#1525 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

Interesting to note the Emmy Drama nominees. AMC clearly has a solid showing.
Outstanding Drama
"Boardwalk Empire"
"Breaking Bad"
"Downton Abbey"
"Game of Thrones"
"Homeland"
"Mad Men"

These are quality shows, no question about it. What does this tell us:
  • "Boardwalk Empire" and "Game of Thrones" - on premium channel HBO
  • "Homeland" - on premium channel Showtime
  • "Downton Abbey" - part of the PBS Masterpiece Theater series supported by the Masterpiece Trust and donations from viewers like you
  • "Breaking Bad" and "Mad Men" - on an advertising/retransmission-fee supported mostly-old-movies-and-infomercials basic cable channel
IMHO something seems oddly out of place.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#1526 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

I disagree that awards shows are irrelevant, as an awarded show can demand higher ad rates.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#1527 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

LOL!!! with over 1500 posts on this thread, most everything has been already discussed.

If AMC had no showings in the Emmy nominations it would seem that their negotiating position with their distributors and their advertisers would not be as strong. Calling something irrelevant doesn't make it irrelevant to everyone else.
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1528 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

LOL!!! with over 1500 posts on this thread, most everything has been already discussed.

If AMC had no showings in the Emmy nominations it would seem that their negotiating position with their distributors and their advertisers would not be as strong. Calling something irrelevant doesn't make it irrelevant to everyone else.

It's irrelevant to him. He's taking it personal for some reason. You are dead on with your post!

#1529 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Dish network decided to drop AMC because of the suit over VOOM - pure and simple - If you sue me I will take my money else where and you will get nothing more from me.

If Disney was not such a big gorilla, all their shows would be gone too, but they have too much programming punch for Charlie to pull that one on them.

AMC will not be back on Dish Network, even if they gave their programming to Dish free - period.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#1530 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,863 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

It is still worth noting that the noise has died down pretty quickly... Dish rode out the speedbump of dropping the AMC channels, and honestly there doesn't seem to be any urgency to add them back.

Ultimately AMC loses in this scenario. The viewers have moved on and found other things to watch now.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#1531 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

And Rainbow can't be too anxious to try the same thing with Direct or any other carrier.

#1532 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

Dish network decided to drop AMC because of the suit over VOOM - pure and simple - If you sue me I will take my money else where and you will get nothing more from me.

If Disney was not such a big gorilla, all their shows would be gone too, but they have too much programming punch for Charlie to pull that one on them.

AMC will not be back on Dish Network, even if they gave their programming to Dish free - period.

And we know they already are,that's why DISH is giving out ROKUs.;)

#1533 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:25 PM

It is still worth noting that the noise has died down pretty quickly... Dish rode out the speedbump of dropping the AMC channels, and honestly there doesn't seem to be any urgency to add them back.

Ultimately AMC loses in this scenario. The viewers have moved on and found other things to watch now.

Well, maybe. But I'll be streaming "Hell on Wheels" through Amazon and wishing AMC were still on Dish so I could justify the $15 in order to see BBCA's "Copper".

Oh well.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#1534 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:20 AM

And for Say What?, who questioned my use of "usu." I was using it an an abbreviation for "usually". Sorry if that wasn't clear from the context.

:lol: Out-jargoned :lol:

I love it!
You can't read half the posts on this place as it is unless you have a decoder ring. LMAO
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#1535 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

And we know they already are,that's why DISH is giving out ROKUs.;)

Dish is giving out Roku's to the very very few that are aware they can get one, and then only after they go through the first line rep and are transferred to Customer Loyalty. Don't make it sound like Dish is making this magnanimous gesture out of the goodness of their hearts. They know that only a very minute percentage of subs will benefit from this situation. Still, it is surprising that Dish is doing this.

#1536 OFFLINE   dbstv

dbstv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

Dish is giving out Roku's to the very very few that are aware they can get one, and then only after they go through the first line rep and are transferred to Customer Loyalty. Don't make it sound like Dish is making this magnanimous gesture out of the goodness of their hearts. They know that only a very minute percentage of subs will benefit from this situation. Still, it is surprising that Dish is doing this.

I think Roku thing is a BS 2 weeks ago they claim I was to get one I have called twice asking for tracking number I get BS that it is handled by a Dept that they can not get that info from amd will get email when it is shipped

Wonder if anyone got their one yet and if thay did how long did it take

all I got so far was hdmi cable

#1537 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

Please PM me your account number so I can review the notes on your account to check on the Roku equipment for you. Please let me know. Thanks.

I think Roku thing is a BS 2 weeks ago they claim I was to get one I have called twice asking for tracking number I get BS that it is handled by a Dept that they can not get that info from amd will get email when it is shipped

#1538 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

The media went loopy with stories nearly every day over the DTV/Viacom dispute.

By comparison, there has been little coverage of this one. A few articles the first day or so, but nothing since. I see that as a symbol of how unimportant Rainbow is, how few people care and how 'done' this matter really is.

#1539 OFFLINE   labmansid

labmansid

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

Funny you should mention this. I made the call last weekend to see about getting the Roku, only because I had seen it being offered on forums like this one.

When it didn't show up this week, yesterday I chatted with a Dish rep online, and they could not see any mention on my account of a Roku being shipped. :nono: I did get the $30 credit for ordering Breaking Bad from Amazon on demand. I was then given a customer service number to call.

So I called, and sure enough no Roku mentioned on my account. The rep offered to set up rush shipping for me next week, but I asked about just getting a credit to cover the cost of just getting one at my local Best Buy store that day. She graciously offered a $60 credit to do that, and I took it, since I figured I would get the upgraded Roku that had a port for wired ethernet anyway. Before hanging up, I managed to also get a $10 credit per month for the next year.

So, it actually turned out a little more to my benefit that it got skipped initially. Ironically, I got an email a short time later saying I would be getting an HDMI cable shipped to me. :rolleyes: It must not be a "Monster" brand, as it appears to be only a $10 cable, unless it is only a few inches long! :P

#1540 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

Funny you should mention this. I made the call last weekend to see about getting the Roku, only because I had seen it being offered on forums like this one.

Not that you really need it. Just jumping on the 'Gimme, Gimme' bandwagon to take advantage, eh?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...