Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1541 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

The media went loopy with stories nearly every day over the DTV/Viacom dispute.

By comparison, there has been little coverage of this one. A few articles the first day or so, but nothing since. I see that as a symbol of how unimportant Rainbow is, how few people care and how 'done' this matter really is.

I think Rainbow on Dish. I wish Rainbow would revive VOOM. As far as AMC I couldn't give a fig about it.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1542 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

The media went loopy with stories nearly every day over the DTV/Viacom dispute.

By comparison, there has been little coverage of this one. A few articles the first day or so, but nothing since. I see that as a symbol of how unimportant Rainbow is, how few people care and how 'done' this matter really is.

Yet here you are day after day????

Not that you really need it. Just jumping on the 'Gimme, Gimme' bandwagon to take advantage, eh?

Who do you think you are? Why should you care? Your really taking this to personal. Nobody has to answer to you. It's none of your business. Go out and get a girlfriend man. Get away from the board and enjoy life because trust me it's way to short and can be over in an instant.

#1543 OFFLINE   dbstv

dbstv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Please PM me your account number so I can review the notes on your account to check on the Roku equipment for you. Please let me know. Thanks.

Message sent this might just save my marriage and I am not joking

#1544 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

Regarless of rhetoric, I'm still going to cancel Dish the day my contract expires if they do have AMC back--with an additional qualifier--if TWD is still on.

Scott
--
Fly RC Helicopters!
Team ALeeS RC

#1545 OFFLINE   jimb

jimb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

Almost time for Breaking Bad... Now would be a good time for both sides to agree to a new contract, if anyone is listening!

#1546 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

if anyone is listening!

They aren't.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#1547 OFFLINE   labmansid

labmansid

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

Not that you really need it. Just jumping on the 'Gimme, Gimme' bandwagon to take advantage, eh?

No, what I was implying was that I had no idea the Roku was an option, since Dish is apparently not publicizing it at all. We have been big fans of most of the more recent shows, such as Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, etc., on AMC. If I had not seen the Roku deal on this or other forums, I would have had no idea about it.

I knew about it for a while, but put off trying for it until it became obvious that no deal was going to be worked out any time soon. If it hadn't come to my attention, I'm not sure what we would have done, just waited for some other option, I guess, such as getting a friend to record it.

I can assure you, I am not prone to "Just jumping on the 'Gimme, Gimme' bandwagon to take advantage". When I called Dish about the loss of AMC programming, they are the ones who suggested the free Roku, not me. It's not like I demanded one. So please do not make assumptions about my motives.

#1548 OFFLINE   tmanmi

tmanmi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

Are there any options for those of of who are out in the sticks and don't have real internet? Streaming is impossible with an aircard. If there was an option to download not stream the AMC programs I would be happy even if it took several hours to get one program.

#1549 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

I think Rainbow on Dish. I wish Rainbow would revive VOOM. As far as AMC I couldn't give a fig about it.

Why? So you could have another group of channels running incessant reruns of bad shows? OK, that's not fair, some of their stuff was good, just not as good the 27th time in a month they ran it. :(

And if they revived it, which distributor would pick it up? I think the answer would be none.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#1550 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

You can buy episodes or the whole season on iTunes and it will download.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1551 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

It is still worth noting that the noise has died down pretty quickly... Dish rode out the speedbump of dropping the AMC channels, and honestly there doesn't seem to be any urgency to add them back.

Ultimately AMC loses in this scenario. The viewers have moved on and found other things to watch now.

Not in our case. We don't watch Breaking Bad, but Hell on Wheels is coming up on August 12 and we don't want to miss that or TWD. So more subscribers will care as these shows premiere, and I'm sure that it will hurt new subcribers making a choice betw. sat. services.

CS informed me today they are "open to negotiations", and seems to think it will be settled eventually, as TWD is so popular.

Well, maybe. But I'll be streaming "Hell on Wheels" through Amazon and wishing AMC were still on Dish so I could justify the $15 in order to see BBCA's "Copper".

Dish still has BBCA (in HD, unlike DTV), so you'll be able to see Copper. We're looking forward to that, too. Jerrry and I are HUGE British mystery fans. The ones that are not shown in the U.S. I buy on disc and resell after viewing.

Our computer is at work, so we cannot stream at home. IFC has a lot of content which we enjoyed, so we'll make the switch to DTV if the situation is not resolved in the next several weeks.
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#1552 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

What are you going to do if you switch and those shows get cancelled?

#1553 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

What are you going to do if you switch and those shows get cancelled?

Which shows do you mean? AMC series are quite popular, so cancellation is not an issue. And if I'm happy with the provider, I'll stay. One could go crazy constantly comparing prices to save a few $ monthly.
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#1554 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

Called today to disconnect a 311 after adding a 722K+sling. As I finished she offered any of the premium movie channels at half price for 6 months. Isaid I would rather have AMC and she said they were working on it and hoped to have it back soon. Not sure if this is an official line but it. Is what she said.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1555 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Which shows do you mean? AMC series are quite popular, so cancellation is not an issue. And if I'm happy with the provider, I'll stay. One could go crazy constantly comparing prices to save a few $ monthly.

Cancellation is always a possibility. Production costs, viewership, compensation requirements by cast members, change in producer/writer all play factors in if a show is renewed. Chasing a show or $$ gets expensive, especially if there are termination fees.

I think AMC will be back on Dish, but who knows when that will happen.
Equipment: 2 Hopper, 1 Joey [soon to be 2 Joeys]

#1556 OFFLINE   RVRambler

RVRambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

ANY show on ANY channel can be canceled, due to 2 major things, viewership (ad revenues) & production costs (salaries & costs).

Several great shows were lost due to the Writers strike a few years back, Los Vegas for one, some delayed, '24' & 'mad men', etc

Breaking Bad is the final season, would think at least another AMC hit will exit too, but back to the first line above of course. :)
Rambling 'Round n RV'

VIP-722k
1000.2, Dual DPP rooftop

#1557 OFFLINE   Chihuahua

Chihuahua

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

Still no sad loss for me. As mentioned earlier on this thread, I haven't really cared for the network formerly known as American Movie Classics since the format change.

#1558 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,613 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

Breaking Bad is canceled. It is airing half the final season this year, half in 2013... but it is already canceled.

Isn't the Killing canceled?

Mad Men didn't air at all in 2011 due to a dispute between AMC and the creators of Mad Men. Don't be surprised if the next dispute results in cancellation OR a move to another network.

Walking Dead they literally ran off the showrunner in season 2 and cut the budget. Don't be surprised if that show has another dispute next season.

No channel is immune from having shows be canceled. AMC has actually had as much trouble with its showrunners as it has had with Dish!

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#1559 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:21 AM

Last I read, Mad Men just started production of Season 6 and Season 7 will be their last.

#1560 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

Breaking Bad is canceled. It is airing half the final season this year, half in 2013... but it is already canceled.

Is there any guarantee those will even be run? It wouldn't be the first time shows were 'in-the-can' but never aired.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...