Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1561 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:30 AM

Breaking Bad is canceled. It is airing half the final season this year, half in 2013... but it is already canceled.

Stewart, do you not understand the difference between a show being canceled as opposed to a show that has come to its final Season. Were "Mash" or "Cheers" "canceled"? Cancellation of a show happens when the ratings are poor, which is clearly not the case for "Breaking Bad" since its Season 5 premiere set ratings records for the show, which is available on Cable and Satellite, but not DISH Network.

Is there any guarantee those will even be run? It wouldn't be the first time shows were 'in-the-can' but never aired.

Again, that situation occurs when a show struggles in the ratings, not the case here, despite your aversion to AMC shows.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#1562 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

Again, that situation occurs when a show struggles in the ratings, not the case here,

As has been shown many times in this thread and others, while the rating may be high for AMC, they are very low in comparison to other shows and networks. AMC has such a limited audience, high ratings there don't really mean much in the overall picture.

It's like saying certain models of the Yugo outsold other Yugo models.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#1563 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

TWD is cable's number one rated series, and hads a very high rating/share in the "desirable" 18-49 demo. Of course, due to writer's disputes, etc., anything can happen, so these are all excellent points.

"Cancellation" is pulling the show due to poor ratings. Some shows are planning to run a certain amount of seasons. Seven seems to be the lucky number! Mad Men and Burn Notice are both planning seven seasons. Other shows, such as Game of Thrones have planned limited seasons. If these shows weren't "performing" welll enough for the network, they would be pulled from the schedule instead filming adln. seasons.

We also would miss AMC for other "future" series that may interest us. I am alread missing IFC and Sundance. But I have a lot stored on the DVR, and switching would be a PIA, so I'll wait it out a bit.

No provider will please all of the consumers all of the time!! :lol:
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#1564 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

Absolutely true! No provider can or does provide it all.

If I were to return to Dish, which is still a probability although timing isn't so sure, I would lose AMC altogether, and a number of sports channels in D*'s sports pack that have boxing that Dish doesn't have. I would pick up Epix which I like.

If I stay with D*, I'll pay more but get those channels. But BBCA is in SD and horrid SD at that. And at the moment D* has more of the big 4 premiums in HD than E* does.

If I cancelled D* and paid the ETF, I would still save money in the first year (about $20/month), and save a few bucks after that (somewhere around the $10 mark).

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#1565 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

Currently there are a lot more shows on than I have time to watch so my DVR has been filling up with AXS concerts, Longmire, Rissoli and Isles, The Closer, NYC22, Falling Skies and some of the Epix movies, not to mention the upcoming 2 weeks of Olympics. I would love to have AMC for Hell on Wheels but can easily get that online. I just started watching Breaking Bad so it will be quite awhile before I am ready to watch this seasons efforts and by then it will likely be available by DVD from Blockbuster. Mad Men is also on my list to start but just haven't had the time. I love my 722s and Sling Adapter and really have no plans to switch from Dish.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1566 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

AXS is turning out to be a pretty good addition as far as concerts. Commercials between sets, but they're limited.

#1567 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

I watched the Chicago concert the other night. Tunes were classic but the voices are really starting to fade. The one I really enjoyed was the Phil Collins Going Back concert with 3 of the Funk Brothers. John Fogerty is always great and his voice is still right on. I see that Tower of Power will be on Aug 5 so that should also be a good one.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1568 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

We have AEP, so we had all of these concert stations all along, but I wasn't aware of them. (Every so often I scan for stations that may have been added, but that's not high up on my priority list!) Palladia is another great one, in HD. For us lovers of serious :P hard rock, Alice In Chains, Foo Fighters, Iron Maiden and Green Day all had great concerts, with minimal commercial interruption. "Offensive" lyrics were beeped, though.

But none of this can substitute of TWD, IMOSHO.
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#1569 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

Tunes were classic but the voices are really starting to fade.

Have you heard McCartney lately? He doesn't sound right at all.

#1570 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Generally, canceled means the network doesn't want it anymore, for any reason, although its usually ratings or costs. Sometimes it has good ratings, but it's still not justifiable due to the costs of the show to produce. Mad men almost got canceled not because of ratings, but because of money, that does happen. Ending a show instead of canceling is usually a result of the producers and creative team deciding they have no stories left or desire to keep telling stories for that show, so they let the network know they are not going to renew, even if they are offered to keep it going by the network. Often times thats a mutual decision as well. I believe house is one prime recent example of that.

#1571 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,540 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

Stewart, do you not understand the difference between a show being canceled as opposed to a show that has come to its final Season. Were "Mash" or "Cheers" "canceled"? Cancellation of a show happens when the ratings are poor, which is clearly not the case for "Breaking Bad" since its Season 5 premiere set ratings records for the show, which is available on Cable and Satellite, but not DISH Network.

Do you not understand that regardless of the reason... if the show isn't on anymore, then you can't watch it. So... everyone who goes and switches providers and makes a 2 year commitment, then a year from now none of these shows you switched to watch are still on... how good of a decision will that be in hindsight?

And before you say "that can't happen"... consider what has already been said and what shows we know already won't be back beyond next year.

Again, that situation occurs when a show struggles in the ratings, not the case here, despite your aversion to AMC shows.

Who said I had an aversion to AMC shows? IF you read my posts... I acknowledge that they have several good shows, whether I watch them or not... and I do watch Walking Dead. I just can't justify AMC's value based on about a handful of programming... and apparently AMC doesn't value their programming either, given the disputes they keep having with the various showrunners of these programs.

Generally, canceled means the network doesn't want it anymore, for any reason, although its usually ratings or costs. Sometimes it has good ratings, but it's still not justifiable due to the costs of the show to produce. Mad men almost got canceled not because of ratings, but because of money, that does happen. Ending a show instead of canceling is usually a result of the producers and creative team deciding they have no stories left or desire to keep telling stories for that show, so they let the network know they are not going to renew, even if they are offered to keep it going by the network. Often times thats a mutual decision as well. I believe house is one prime recent example of that.

Exactly. Breaking Bad increased its ratings... and yet it will be gone. Was it canceled due to low ratings? No... but the fact remains that it will not be on after next year's half season.

And Mad Men, as popular as it is... AMC was fine not having it in production or airing for an entire year while arguing over more product placement, shorter episodes to air more commercials, and less episodes per season... all things that seem odd when simultaneously arguing how good the show is and how popular it is... then wanting to muck with it AND take it off the air a year while arguing with the producers about such things.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#1572 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

And before you say "that can't happen"...

Story breaking about some of the cast (including Sofia) of 'Modern Family' suing the producers over their contract terms. Might affect production, might not.

Isn't that one of the most popular programs on TV right now?

Never say it can't happen.

#1573 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

We have AEP, so we had all of these concert stations all along, but I wasn't aware of them. (Every so often I scan for stations that may have been added, but that's not high up on my priority list!) Palladia is another great one, in HD. For us lovers of serious :P hard rock, Alice In Chains, Foo Fighters, Iron Maiden and Green Day all had great concerts, with minimal commercial interruption. "Offensive" lyrics were beeped, though.

But none of this can substitute of TWD, IMOSHO.

I am surprised at how so many people did not know about AXS (formerly HDNet) as it is already in America's Top 120 and above and Dish Latino Dos and above. The "regular" channel number is 362; maybe no one was looking in that channel range for it. Right now it is on channel 131 as well as the "high quality replacement for IFC. At one time, it was HD only, too. Therefore, I am guessing SD subs are just discovering it, too. According to DIRT, Palladia is back in AT 120 (as well as BB@Home [channel 369], but I cannot confirm that.

#1574 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

I am surprised at how so many people did not know about AXS (formerly HDNet)

At one time, it was HD only, too. Therefore, I am guessing SD subs are just discovering it, too.

That's probably why I'm just finding it.

#1575 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

:confused: If that is so then why did the producers spend a rumored quarter of a million dollars for the use of a genuine Beatles song this season? (and it wasn't even one of their hits)
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#1576 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,540 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

:confused: If that is so then why did the producers spend a rumored quarter of a million dollars for the use of a genuine Beatles song this season? (and it wasn't even one of their hits)

AMC is the one who doesn't want to spend money on Mad Men... the Mad Men producers are fine with spending money to make quality TV. AMC tried to cut their budget (like AMC has done with other shows), tried to force more product placement, and tried to have less episodes and shorter episodes to sell more commercial spots.

The Mad Men producers fought for a bigger budget, more shows, longer shows, and less product placement.

So you're asking the wrong question here... Mad Men producers wanted an authentic song from the times to set a mood and were willing to spend money in their budget to make the show seem accurate. AMC, I'm sure, would not have wanted to spend that money.

#1577 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

Who said I had an aversion to AMC shows?

Check my post again. There are two quotes from other members, yourself and SayWhat. The part you're referring to appears under the quote from SW.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#1578 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,540 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:42 AM

Check my post again. There are two quotes from other members, yourself and SayWhat. The part you're referring to appears under the quote from SW.

My apologies... I though it odd, since I have gone out of my way to talk about the good shows (even ones I don't watch)... My mistake for responding to a question that wasn't directed at me. Sorry about that.

#1579 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

Now there is one less AMC show I'd miss or have to stream. AMC did not renew "The Killing" as noted in this post. As noted in this story:

Fox Television Studios quickly sent out a statement saying the studio plans to shop the drama series to other networks: “Fox Television Studios is extremely proud of The Killing, the extraordinary writing staff and crew, and what we believe is one of the best casts on television. We will proceed to try to find another home for the show.”

The Killing has been one of AMC’s few missteps in an otherwise remarkable plunge into scripted television during the last several years. The show premiered last year to 2.7 million viewers and plenty of fan and critic excitement. But in a move that will likely be used as a real-time lesson in serialized series management for years to come, AMC and Sud managed to infuriating fans by declining to solve a mystery that viewers felt they had been led to believe would be cleared up by the end of the first season.

When season two debuted in April, ratings dropped 33 percent to 1.8 million viewers. The audience continued to ebb until the finale, which garnered 1.4 million viewers and finally revealed who killed teen murder victim Rosie Larsen. With the ratings showing a clear downward trajectory, and having established across two seasons that the Larsen murder is the driving force of the show, cancellation seemed very likely. The lesson? Don’t take viewers for granted.

This is just another reason why I don't care about AMC being gone.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#1580 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

Can the others be far behind?

spam firewall