Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

Please! Dish can ad any channel they want without asking me. I didn't ask for it nor did I agree to pay for it. But I did agree to pay for a package that included AMC. It was their special package and I agreed to pay for that package. They offered that package. They chose the specific stations for that package. Those included stations were designed to entice customers to choose that package. So you think it's OK for them to just drop channels from that package at their whim? Sure they can do it. But that don't make it right. As far as me not bitching about Dish adding a station, you're correct there. I don't bitch when I get a raise either because hey, maybe they think I deserve it. I think most of us would bitch if they, out of the blue, lowered our wage though. Same thing here. They lowered the value of my package and increased the value of their package.

Well said.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#142 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,376 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

I don't think either company employs whimsy when adding or dropping a channel or group of them.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#143 OFFLINE   sacflies

sacflies

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

Well, looks like I'll be staying with D*. And I was so close to switching to Dish. But with no Disney (little one loves Disney channels), no ESPNU and ESPN News, and now probably no AMC...it ain't happenin. Guess I will call D* and have them set me up with 2 more HD boxes and whole home DVR and get locked into another 2 year contract (sigh). Hopefully I can get them to set me up with an HR34 for a good price, as my HR23's are super slow.

#144 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:19 AM

Well, looks like I'll be staying with D*. And I was so close to switching to Dish. But with no Disney (little one loves Disney channels), no ESPNU and ESPN News, and now probably no AMC...it ain't happenin.

To be clear, Dish carries Disney East/West, ESPNU and ESPN News, just in SD. And Dish's SD is quite watchable, unlike DirecTV's. They apparently will not carry AMC in HD or SD.

The a la carte idea is one worth considering. The argument has long been that packages make channels cheaper. AMC would have to see the glass as half-full; some carriage is better than no carriage. Dish could drop the channel from their packages, and not lose customers who really wanted AMC. Back-of-the-envelope calculations put the break-even price around $2.50/month.

The problem, of course, is that AMC makes more than that if people buy their episodes on Amazon or iTunes. AMC may actually want to be removed from packages to increase their bottom line.

#145 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 831 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:21 AM

Well, looks like I'll be staying with D*. And I was so close to switching to Dish. But with no Disney (little one loves Disney channels), no ESPNU and ESPN News, and now probably no AMC...it ain't happenin. Guess I will call D* and have them set me up with 2 more HD boxes and whole home DVR and get locked into another 2 year contract (sigh). Hopefully I can get them to set me up with an HR34 for a good price, as my HR23's are super slow.

Let's be accurrate here. Dish has Disney, ESPNU, and ESPN News. ABC Family too. Don't have them in HD but they are available to view in SD. I'll agree I'd rather have them HD. Suspect when contracts come up for renewal again we will, but it's not like life ends because I can only see them in SD.

#146 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:25 AM

Those included stations were designed to entice customers to choose that package. So you think it's OK for them to just drop channels from that package at their whim? Sure they can do it. But that don't make it right.

I think you're overstating your position. Frankly, I believe that the real issue is the 2-year commitment they insist on in order to get customer discounts. You sign the agreement, you accept the early termination fee, but then they change the game on you. If you could drop the commitment (sending back all equipment and paying a termination fee equal to the installation cost), you could drop the company and keep the programming you want until...

All the providers work the same way. They drop channels from the lineup if price increases make it too expensive to keep them. DirecTV may drop AMC come next negotiating session. Your local cable company might drop them, too. There's no promises that a channel that is here today will still be around come next contract term.

The reality is that if AMC is that important to you, that one channel above and beyond all else, then you will either pay the ETF and go to a provider that carries it (and I recommend cable, since they seem to be the only ones without a commitment) or pay an online provider to give you the episodes you want. Someone else has done the math and figured dropping their package to Top120 and buying the shows they watch is cheaper than paying the ETF or switching to another provider. YMMV.

#147 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,330 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:10 AM

Why don't they offer it as an a la carte movie channel. I'm sure that those, who want it, will spend a couple of extra buck to have it.

AMC would have to agree to that, which I doubt they would.

Agreed ... AMC wants 10-14 million DISH customers to pay 40/80 cents per household - whether or not they actually watch AMC. On the low end they walk away with $4 million per month, $48 million a year. Make the channels a la carte and they would have to sell a lot of subscriptions at a higher price just to break even.

Channels know they are better off in packages sold to people who don't want them as well as the people who will make a lot of noise if the channel wasn't there. Very few channels have decided to allow a la carte sales. Most of them are not very popular or are very expensive a la carte.

#148 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

If you could drop the commitment (sending back all equipment and paying a termination fee equal to the installation cost)

You do realize that the ETF charge, even if you canceled in the first month is still no where close to the actual cost of acquisition and installation right? If the contract was 4 years you'd be right on the money :P

The a la carte idea is one worth considering. The argument has long been that packages make channels cheaper. AMC would have to see the glass as half-full; some carriage is better than no carriage. Dish could drop the channel from their packages, and not lose customers who really wanted AMC. Back-of-the-envelope calculations put the break-even price around $2.50/month.

Yeah but when it comes to a la carte they gun for profit and not to break even on past earnings, especially if there going a la carte because Dish said no to there increase negotiations. Thats assuming the majority of the 14million customers decided to add AMC a la carte.

There going to factor there price to over compensate and its going to be much higher then 2.50$ , just look at the current a la carte offerings that are on Dish to get an Idea of some of the extremes the a la carte price could be.
Personally I think the price would be about 5-7$

#149 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

I personally think the streaming video pricing model is a rip off. For $3 (HD) you can only watch an episode only once. You can buy the entire season blu ray for the same price (entire season watched online once).

This isn't quite true. When I bought Downton Abbey Season 2 in BluRay from Amazon, I was also given the HD streaming rights along with it. Technically I could sell the BluRay discs. That would cut my cost in half. There's also no limitation to how many times I can watch it.

There must be some way to record these streaming movies to be able to watch them again.

#150 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

This isn't quite true. When I bought Downton Abbey Season 2 in BluRay from Amazon, I was also given the HD streaming rights along with it. Technically I could sell the BluRay discs. That would cut my cost in half. There's also no limitation to how many times I can watch it.

There must be some way to record these streaming movies to be able to watch them again.

Just use a screen capture program , like camtasia studio, just make sure it has options to record audio too (some surprisingly dont have that option).

Qualities usually pretty decent if you choose the right compression and conversion options.

#151 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

The Justice Department and the FCC might disagree with you here.

I think you'll agree that they've done precious little to date to indicate such a leaning. We would expect them to intervene, but that hasn't been a well traveled path of late.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#152 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by zer0cool
Nah, I just want the right to cancel without penalty if they stop providing me with the services I had when I signed the contract. (Of course, by that token, Dish would have the right to increase my bill every time they added a new channel).

Or just give me the choice on whether I want to pay extra for AMC...

I understand why Dish has to negotiate the way it does, I just wish both sides could be more honest about it.

They don't have that right currently?

Of course they do, and sometimes they exercise that right. My point was that I, like the vast majority on here, tend to whine about wanting certain channels added, but we don't want our bills raised. ("Dish better add channel blah-blah, in HD or I'm switching. "Dish better increase my monthly bill or i'm switching"):lol:

If I buy a car, I select the options I want it to have and work out a price structured to require me to make a payment of, we'll say $300 per month.
If six months later, the car dealership decides to remove my windshield wipers, whether I use them or not, I'm going to be pissed off. Maybe they did this because Windshield Wipers Inc. notified the dealership they were going to charge them an extra $1000 for every car they sold with windshield wipers installed. So, the dealership, knowing I'm not going to be willing to pay an extra $1500 (gotta' figure in some markup), just removes the option.
Still, I don't care why they did it, I still need my wipers! And I'm angry at both the dealership and the makers of the wipers in equal measure, because they should just work it out so their most important asset, the customer, continues to get what they paid for.

#153 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

I'll weigh in here. I'm on the fence about switching over from D, and I thought this might make me not want to switch. Then, after thinking about it, it's no big deal as I have netflix alreaday. The fact that I'll get FSC in HD with the 250 pack will still probably entice me. But it does make me nervous for the future as far as what I may lose channel wise within my 2 year commitment.
HR 22-100 Vizio 42" 1080P
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#154 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

This constant brinksmanship is why I keep asking myself, "Do I really want to commit to two years of not knowing if the channels I watch will be there tomorrow?"

Maybe I'm paying higher prices for DirecTV but it could be considered insurance!

Could it? don't think it helped when it came to G4 on DirecTV,G4 went bye bye.

Facts are both satellite providers have reserved the right to change programming or prices if they have to.;)

#155 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

Facts are both satellite providers have reserved the right to change programming or prices if they have to.;)

While I like G4, it's nowhere near as popular as AMC.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#156 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

While its true that both carriers reserve the right to drop channels, G4 was an extremely insignificant channel with a miniscule viewership. Its akin to the hypothetical situation of D* dropping QVC (IMO G4 was so bad it should have had to pay Directv to carry them like QVC does) vs Dish dropping something like USA networks.

Fact of the matter is, D* has shown a lot less willingness to drop popular channels than Dish. But I still commend Dish for having the guts to stand up against the excessive price increases by the content providers who over value their content.

#157 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

Maybe this is all stemming from the producers of Mad Men paying $250,000 to use a Beatles song in last week's episode. :lol:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55558

#158 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Dish can't charge you for a channel they don't have. But Dish dropping AMC is just one channel in a package... If Dish dropped the whole package, then you have a point.

You can drop AT250 or whatever as soon as AMC goes dark... so you won't be paying for a channel/package they dropped!

IF Dish ever lost something like HBO, then you wouldn't be able to subscribe to that a la carte channel.

So... the arguments over "they can't charge me for something they dropped" really are strawman arguments.

IF the only reason you are on AT200 or AT250 or whatever is for one particular channel... then when Dish drops that channel, you drop that tier, and you are missing a channel BUT you aren't paying for it either. Done and done.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#159 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,376 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

Maybe this is all stemming from the producers of Mad Men paying $250,000 to use a Beatles song in last week's episode. :lol:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55558

Maybe. See this.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#160 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

[I] still commend Dish for having the guts to stand up against the excessive price increases by the content providers who over value their content.

And what happens when every provider starts charging "excessive price increases" to gain their share of the pie? Does DISH just shut down?
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

Protected By... spam firewall...And...