Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1581 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

So far I have watched episodes 1 & 2 of Breaking Bad and not sure I have the stomach to watch a lot more of it. Clearly it is not a show my wife would like. I'll do another episode and if it doesn't click then there will be a lot of room on my DVR. Longmire on A&E on the other hand has got me hooked. Good drama, good acting and good sets. A lot of what I liked about Hell on Wheels.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1582 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,339 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

So far I have watched episodes 1 & 2 of Breaking Bad and not sure I have the stomach to watch a lot more of it. Clearly it is not a show my wife would like. I'll do another episode and if it doesn't click then there will be a lot of room on my DVR. Longmire on A&E on the other hand has got me hooked. Good drama, good acting and good sets. A lot of what I liked about Hell on Wheels.

It doesn't just escalate in violence as so many other shows do, and IIRC, the first two eps are among the bloodiest. I don't currently own a wife, but some women are enamored of the show.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1583 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

I got an email today from amctv.com with a title: AMC/DISH UPDATE. I'm assuming this is spam and am going to get rid of it unread.
I did register with AMC to watch Breaking Bad Ep.1 but I gave them a different email address and this message appeared at my regular address.

#1584 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

AMC is the one who doesn't want to spend money on Mad Men... the Mad Men producers are fine with spending money to make quality TV. AMC tried to cut their budget (like AMC has done with other shows), tried to force more product placement, and tried to have less episodes and shorter episodes to sell more commercial spots.

The Mad Men producers fought for a bigger budget, more shows, longer shows, and less product placement.

So you're asking the wrong question here... Mad Men producers wanted an authentic song from the times to set a mood and were willing to spend money in their budget to make the show seem accurate. AMC, I'm sure, would not have wanted to spend that money.

But in the end, they did spend it. Many networks would have simply said "no." Of course they try to minimize costs - as do the suits of every network. I don't see the point. This little network spends a ton of money on these high quality shows. And they appear willing to continue to spend the money and take the risks to continue with a pipeline of new high quality shows as the runs of the current ones end.

#1585 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,613 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

But in the end, they did spend it. Many networks would have simply said "no." Of course they try to minimize costs - as do the suits of every network. I don't see the point. This little network spends a ton of money on these high quality shows. And they appear willing to continue to spend the money and take the risks to continue with a pipeline of new high quality shows as the runs of the current ones end.

You missed the point. AMC won on several fronts... lower budget and fewer episodes for Mad Men.... AMC didn't want to spend on those shows, and they didn't.

That's why no Mad Men in 2011... all the arguing put them behind schedule before AMC agreed to finally pay, albeit less than the original budget.

AMC also cost-reduced Walking Dead for season 2... so that's 2-for-2 in AMC winning in cutting budgets on their award-nominated shows.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#1586 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

AMC cancels ' The Killing '

#1587 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

AMC cancels ' The Killing '

Yes they did. Lower viewership and a very slow pace at solving a single crime was its downfall.

I'm less surprised that they cancelled it after they solved that single crime than I am that they thought they could have a show about a single crime over more than one season.

I loved the first year of it, but about 1/2 way into the second year I cancelled them myself! Too slow and very boring in the end.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#1588 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

You missed the point. AMC won on several fronts... lower budget and fewer episodes for Mad Men.... AMC didn't want to spend on those shows, and they didn't.

That's why no Mad Men in 2011... all the arguing put them behind schedule before AMC agreed to finally pay, albeit less than the original budget.

AMC also cost-reduced Walking Dead for season 2... so that's 2-for-2 in AMC winning in cutting budgets on their award-nominated shows.

Did you loathe AMC so much when Dish carried them?

AMC tries to keep their costs down with these incredibly expensive shows. No surprise. They don't have the money that NBC or the other "big" networks have. And yeah, sometimes those conflicts lead to delays, etc.

But at the end of the day, AMC does carry these innovative and high quality shows, and they show every indication, with new shows like Hell on Wheels, of intending to continue supporting and carrying similar shows. Sometimes they will stumble, as all networks do: The Killing was a great concept but angered a lot of viewers with their decision to not reveal the killer at the end of the first season, and a lot of viewers were so ticked off by that they refuse to watch the second season. Thus a failed show that got canceled.

But I still want to watch and support a channel that is willing to put shows on the air like Breaking Bad, which breaks all of the molds and would never be on a major network or TNT or USA, etc., the same for Mad Men, etc. TV viewers are better off because of AMC's willingness to take those risks and put those shows on the air.

#1589 OFFLINE   jimb

jimb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

Speaking of breaking bad, we are a few hours away hoping for some Sunday negotiations. Are the two parties in a big conference room right now? Someone send in some pizza's. Fingers crossed.

Edited by jimb, 29 July 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#1590 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

Are the two parties in a big confernece room right now?

No.

I don't imagine either side has spoken to the other in weeks and don't have any plans to.

I'd guess the ball is in AMC's court to say something reasonable, like maybe 'We're sorry...... we'd like to come back with no increase and maybe even a small decrease.'
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#1591 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

AMC tries to keep their costs down with these incredibly expensive shows. No surprise. They don't have the money that NBC or the other "big" networks have. And yeah, sometimes those conflicts lead to delays, etc.

But at the end of the day, AMC does carry these innovative and high quality shows, and they show every indication, with new shows like Hell on Wheels, of intending to continue supporting and carrying similar shows. Sometimes they will stumble, as all networks do: The Killing was a great concept but angered a lot of viewers with their decision to not reveal the killer at the end of the first season, and a lot of viewers were so ticked off by that they refuse to watch the second season. Thus a failed show that got canceled.

But I still want to watch and support a channel that is willing to put shows on the air like Breaking Bad, which breaks all of the molds and would never be on a major network or TNT or USA, etc., the same for Mad Men, etc. TV viewers are better off because of AMC's willingness to take those risks and put those shows on the air.

Honestly, amc hasn't broken any molds ever. If anyone did with more grueling fair on cable, it was HBO years ago.... Amc is just copying the molds they created, and water it down just enough to keep it on cable but not premium channels.

#1592 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,613 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

AMC tries to keep their costs down with these incredibly expensive shows. No surprise.

If you have read my posts, yes. Go read them and you will see.

I like the Walking Dead, and I recognize the popularity of some of their other shows... but since they have a literal handful of good shows, it is hard to justify the rate increase they seem to have been looking for... and so I am fine with Dish letting them go.

As I said, I like Walking Dead and will buy the Blu-rays anyway... so if this isn't solved by October... then I'm fine to wait and buy season 3 on Blu-ray and watch it then.

I don't see how my pointing out the realities of how AMC conducts their business and negotiations related to "loathing" them... Dish is evil to want to cut costs but somehow AMC is doing great budget work when they do it? That argument seems very odd to me... plus it doesn't connect the two... IF AMC keeps cutting their budgets to spend on their shows, why are they needing to raise rates from Dish exactly?

#1593 OFFLINE   bloodfest

bloodfest

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

i like dish and amc. wish they would come to an agreement. i read the dish might make a settlement with amc. i knows its from july 11th. so its old news its from deadline dot com since i cant post links yet .
if they do you think amc will be back on dish before twd airs in oct. at least i still have soa in sept. to tie me over.
1hopper/3joeys

#1594 OFFLINE   Dax

Dax

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:10 PM

It is still worth noting that the noise has died down pretty quickly... Dish rode out the speedbump of dropping the AMC channels, and honestly there doesn't seem to be any urgency to add them back.

Ultimately AMC loses in this scenario. The viewers have moved on and found other things to watch now.

It may also be the calm before the storm. As the new season draws near for The Walking Dead and Mad Men, I think we'll hear more noise if AMC is still missing from Dish.

I have always been supportive of Dish in previous standoffs over costs, but not this time. If every cable company in the country, large and small, can afford to carry AMC in their basic package, Dish can too. This is clearly about more than just costs, and Dish customers are paying for it in more ways than one.

Right now I can be patient because my favorite AMC shows haven't returned yet. And my current apartment complex provides basic cable with high speed internet, and that cable carries AMC. But in the long run, I may take a closer look at the alternative’s deluxe package and decide Dish isn’t worth it anymore. In any case, I do love AMC’s sense of humor:

http://www.adrants.c...-nyc-zombie.php

#1595 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:43 AM

It may also be the calm before the storm. As the new season draws near for The Walking Dead and Mad Men, I think we'll hear more noise if AMC is still missing from Dish.

I have always been supportive of Dish in previous standoffs over costs, but not this time. If every cable company in the country, large and small, can afford to carry AMC in their basic package, Dish can too. This is clearly about more than just costs, and Dish customers are paying for it in more ways than one.

Right now I can be patient because my favorite AMC shows haven't returned yet. And my current apartment complex provides basic cable with high speed internet, and that cable carries AMC. But in the long run, I may take a closer look at the alternative’s deluxe package and decide Dish isn’t worth it anymore. In any case, I do love AMC’s sense of humor:

http://www.adrants.c...-nyc-zombie.php

Wait for a year or two before you make that statement. If DIRECTV and Comcast have a hard time reaching deals or drop them too, thenyoullreally know. You don't know if they haven't become a bit more full of themselves in asking for more money since the last time they where up for negotiations with any of the other big providers.

AT&T doesn't count by the way, they need amc way more than dish... They have different cost structure no where near the subs, and everything else too. Its about what the big players do that will telling.

#1596 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

I think it is a guarantee that others will have issues with AMC at renegotiation and in my opinion the channels will most likely be dark on Dish until that time. The DirecTV/Viacom dispute was a good indicator and I see AT&T as a beneficiary of that one.

DirecTV could very well become a benefactor of Dish's holdout with AMC but hopefully an workable agreement between all parties can be reached at that time. I am no fan of losing channels but in this case I can still get the programs I want to see via streaming - just not sure how much even I will be willing to pay for them per episode. That really is the best way to assert the true value of any single series/show.

#1597 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,428 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

I would be stunned to see Dish bring AMC back in the next three years.

It likely would have to be the result of a combination of a resolution of the Voom dispute in a manner that would reduce Charlie Ergen's anger over the whole matter along with a significant reduction in the proposed retransmission fees for the AMC Networks (formerly known as Rainbow Media networks).

I suppose it might happen if AMC Networks offered the AMC channel by itself for 25¢ in the AT120 tier or if the AMC Networks channels were offered as a not-very-premium package.

But, I just don't see it happening.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#1598 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

I don't see how my pointing out the realities of how AMC conducts their business and negotiations related to "loathing" them... Dish is evil to want to cut costs but somehow AMC is doing great budget work when they do it? That argument seems very odd to me... plus it doesn't connect the two... IF AMC keeps cutting their budgets to spend on their shows, why are they needing to raise rates from Dish exactly?

I never said Dish was "evil" - that's the difference. You seem to feel that one party is this has to be "bad" and the other holy and go out of your way to grasp at every opportunity to say see how bad AMC is?

I completely understand Dish's decision to say no to what AMC requested for the contract. While I am convinced this does indeed go beyond the normal negotiations you see in these things to something personal, I understand their business decision. I don't think Dish is "evil."

But that doesn't mean I also can't also be a fan of what AMC has done with their programming in the last few years.

I don't understand people's apparent need to pick one side and then feel obligated to demonize the other.

#1599 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,613 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

I never said Dish was "evil" - that's the difference. You seem to feel that one party is this has to be "bad" and the other holy and go out of your way to grasp at every opportunity to say see how bad AMC is?

I don't understand people's apparent need to pick one side and then feel obligated to demonize the other.

Have you read all of my posts? I suspect either you haven't or your memory is faulty. I've said all kinds of bad things about Dish, some in this thread.

Specifically, I thought it was bad on Dish's part that they relocated the channels without warning during those final couple of weeks. I get the message they were trying to send to AMC, but in the meantime it screwed Dish customers several weeks prior to the actual channel drop.

That was poor by Dish, and I criticized it.

IF my tenor in this thread seems more anti-AMC than it does anti-Dish... consider the tone of this thread and the actions of Dish and AMC in this dispute.

Dish didn't start a "AMC sucks watch other channels" web site did they? AMC did. AMC has a whole page dedicated to why Dish is wrong and why you should go elsewhere for TV.

Dish said no to the price increases, but recommended customers watch the popular AMC shows elsewhere and even gave out free Rokus to many customers... so Dish wasn't discouraging anyone from watching AMC programming... AMC, on the other hand, discouraged people from subscribing to Dish.

So... if I seem more anti-AMC it is because AMC has done more public and obviously bad things in this dispute than has Dish. Thus there are more things to talk about in that regard.

#1600 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

Good Points Stewart! +1
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

Protected By... spam firewall...And...