Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1641 OFFLINE   RVRambler

RVRambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:13 AM

And of course I would assume any 'owner' of the company to NOT appear arrogant and 'special', but you are likely correct, I suspect, except for cursing & off colored jokes, etc he is the same as always & maybe what we see/saw in Charlie chats.

Still does not mean he is ruthless in pi$$ing contests with other billionairs and expects to win, IMO!
Rambling 'Round n RV'

VIP-722k
1000.2, Dual DPP rooftop

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1642 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

I am looking to switch to Dish, but the rest of the family wont agree unless the Walking Dead can be watched.

Will it be on on the Web for free? I dont want to pay $14.95 for a season on Apple TV.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#1643 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

Depends on your scruples whether it's free or not.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#1644 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

The News Story that just won't go away. Here is another one on AMC's expected revenue drop. The article states that HDNET movies is part of AMCs programming. I did not realize that if in fact it is true.
http://in.reuters.co...tm_medium=email

Style channal and E! are owned by Comcast.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#1645 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

Style channal and E! are owned by Comcast.

NBCUniversal owns E! & Style.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1646 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

NBCUniversal owns E! & Style.

And Comcast merged with NBCUniversal... so what Paul said is still accurate.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#1647 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

To be precise, Comcast owns 51% and GE owns 49% of NBCU which owns E! and Style.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#1648 OFFLINE   Chihuahua

Chihuahua

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

Two things wrong with that statement:

1. Ergen made those statements on an Investor conference call... not to the media directly. That someone wrote a media article about an earnings call is not the same as Ergen or Dish going to the media to bash AMC.

2. Nothing I read there was an attack on AMC at all. Very clearly, to me, Ergen reiterated Dish's consistent stance that he believes Dish customers that watch AMC is a small number, and that while AMC does have some heralded programming AMC doesn't want to just negotiate for AMC without forced carriage of the other channels that even AMC acknowledges aren't as in demand. That's not an attack, it's just stating facts as Ergen knows them.

HDNet movies is not part of AMC... I don't think Style is either, but I could be wrong about that. Whomever wrote that article didn't do their fact checking.

Style is a spin-off from E! Entertainment Television, both are owned by Comcast.

#1649 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

I am looking to switch to Dish, but the rest of the family wont agree unless the Walking Dead can be watched.

Will it be on on the Web for free? I dont want to pay $14.95 for a season on Apple TV.

No, you will need to purchase the programs from iTunes or Amazon Prime. And it does not appear that AMC programming will be back on Dish.

#1650 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 994 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

You can always give Dish a call and see if they will give you a credit for getting the shows from iTunes. If you are subscribing to a reasonable package like 200 or 250 they might do that to sign you up. Just know what you want when you call.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1651 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

We were really looking forward to Hell on Wheels, and Dish offered me a credit for the downloads, or a one time credit to purchase the discs. CS has been excelllent; they really want to retain me as a customer. We have had AEP for eight years, so I feel this was a factor in their willingness to help. They already knocked back my monthly bill $10 for 12 mos.

Of course, we watch other AMC programming, and will likely switch if an agreement is not in place for TWD. Dish certainly can't keep giving each customer credit for every AMC show, as it would not be worth it for them to keep a customer that is not profitable. There are pros and cons to every provider, and I have found Dish to have excellent CS. Our local cable (ABB) didn't seem to care when I left, despite the fact we had the highest tier of programming. Perhaps they thought the satellite thing was a fad! :lol:

So this gives me hope that an agreement will be reached by October!

We are paying a litlle less than $100/mo through Dish for all of the premiums and DVR service. The same service through ABB (cable) is over $165!!

Still, we watch a lot of IFC/AMC programming, and will have to switch to DTV if this is not resolved for TWD in Oct.

I'm sure that Dish wants to keep subscribers, AMC wants viewers, and the individual has to decide what programs are important to them. IMOSHO, Ergen should not have said that no one is his household watches any of the AMC, etc. channels. That is hardly germaine to the issue, as we all have diverse tastes.

We do not watch sports, but I am not "putting down" an interest in watching highly skilled individuals compete. I must admit, however, that I had to bite my tongue when a (highly educated) family member told me the best TV shows he has ever seen are Celebrity Rehab and Jersey Shore! :D :D
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#1652 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

Dish certainly can't keep giving each customer credit for every AMC show, as it would not be worth it for them to keep a customer that is not profitable.

I think somebody mentioned up-thread that since so few people watch the AMC shows in question, it actually works out cheaper for Dish to issue the credits than it would to pay AMC what they are demanding.

Think about it ..... a few thousand people gripe and get the credits of $10 or so (some more, some less) vs Dish paying AMC $1.00 per each of how ever many million subscribers they have for the tiers that include AMC.

Paying a few hundred thousand in credits to save millions in fees doesn't seem like such bad business.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#1653 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 324 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

I'd like to think that is right but only time will tell. Meanwhile the thread goes on.

I wonder what's going on. Why would E* schedule the following (see below)?

"BLOCK CH 102 SUN 8-19 10:30 AM A Look Into AMC's The Walking Dead"

#1654 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

Since Dish cares so much about my bill, when am I getting a decrease from the fees they are no longer paying for those channels?

#1655 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

It is interesting, I have always believed this spat would eventually be settled. I don't know what it means, probably/perhaps nothing...or not...all we can do is wait and see. :rolleyes:
Thank you and
Best of luck

#1656 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

Since Dish cares so much about my bill, when am I getting a decrease from the fees they are no longer paying for those channels?

You can get it and more. Dish offered several ways, including a free Roku, and discounts. But if you are just going to sit back you won't get them.

#1657 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

Easy answer. Dish has said one of the reasons they won't renew AMC is because they have diluted the product, and by doing so charge too much to carriers like Dish, when they make their programs easily available online right after they air.

Dish gave people Roku's, or people have them, or have other means to watch Amazon online or other places that have the AMC programs. Dish can say even though we don't have AMC their subscribers can still watch the shows.

#1658 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

Dish has never said that AMC didn't have some good shows or that you shouldn't watch those shows. Dish has just said that AMC wants too much and will not let Dish take AMC without being forced to take IFC, Sundance, and WeTV that almost nobody is demanding to be brought back.

So... Dish/Blockbuster having a channel and a show that talks about the Walking Dead isn't such a stretch. Dish hasn't been bashing the good shows, just saying that AMC only has a few good shows and wants too much money for them.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#1659 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,616 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:09 PM

And in spite of the seeming spite that has come through the ether and in print between the two, a deal will get done some time in all likelihood.

--
~A Serenity Prayer~
"God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference."2
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1660 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:36 AM

You can get it and more. Dish offered several ways, including a free Roku, and discounts. But if you are just going to sit back you won't get them.

Oh, I'm just being a smarta** but if the reason was being concerned about customers bills, I would expect them to take the money they now have in their pocket from dropping these channels and giving it to all subscribers in a rate drop. Especially the ones who did NOT call because they didn't watch AMC as those are the ones the CEO said he was taking care of.

spam firewall