Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1661 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

I think somebody mentioned up-thread that since so few people watch the AMC shows in question, it actually works out cheaper for Dish to issue the credits than it would to pay AMC what they are demanding.

Think about it ..... a few thousand people gripe and get the credits of $10 or so (some more, some less) vs Dish paying AMC $1.00 per each of how ever many million subscribers they have for the tiers that include AMC.

Paying a few hundred thousand in credits to save millions in fees doesn't seem like such bad business.

Excellent points. But (to me) it seems as if that "strategy" would be "pence wise but pound foolish" in the long term. Subscribers will switch to DTV, and will be less likely to choose Dish as a new subscriber if these stations are of import. I doubt Dish will want to be know as the only providers w/o AMC. And AMC can hardly alienate DTV and the major cable providers, also.

It may have been mentioned upthread that Dish was able to ascertain that only 2% of the subs viewed AMC with regularity after it was moved. But that was just for the last few episodes of MM. There may be many more viewers if one looked at this over a years worth or original programming.

Edited by joyandjerry, 15 August 2012 - 10:01 AM.
typo

JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1662 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

Scenario: Dish drops AMC and AMC begins an effort to encourage Dish subscribers to jump ship. They offer the first episode of Breaking Bad this season for free as a download. Just geting the BB crowd's appetites wetted. Then they begin facebook and TV ads telling people what they will miss and encouraging them to switch. Dish counters with credits for those who call and complain and they send out emails and physical mail with a phone number to call to find out about other ways to watch these shows. Here we are at 1600+ posts and not really seeing a lot of people switching. Granted, only a small percentage of either Dish or Direct subscribers dwell on this or the other major forum. We know that Dish people are here and I kind of imagine that at least some AMC people are lurking and feeding back info on how the battle is perceived here. Seems to me the AMC people are probably a bit frustrated with the results of their campaign at this point. From a financial perspective I tend to think that AMC will eventually return to the table "Hat in Hand". But if they don't, I am good for at least another year based on the credits and all and who knows, I may become more of a fan of iTunes downloads.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1663 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

...Dish offered me a credit for the downloads, or a one time credit to purchase the discs. ... this gives me hope that an agreement will be reached by October!

I don't think offering credits is any sign they're getting close to an agreement. Last I heard, they weren't talking at all. Seems AMC is gone for the long haul on Dish. This would be a great time to give DirecTV another look since they been steadily adding channels. My local cable provider was even better since they had both AMC and IFC in HD (DirecTV still has IFC in migraine inducing SD only).

I waited years for DirecTV to add AMC HD when I could have watched it all along on another provider. I've learned my lesson. Go with the provider that has the content you want today. Doing without and waiting is pointless.

#1664 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

I don't think offering credits is any sign they're getting close to an agreement. Last I heard, they weren't talking at all. Seems AMC is gone for the long haul on Dish. This would be a great time to give DirecTV another look since they been steadily adding channels. My local cable provider was even better since they had both AMC and IFC in HD (DirecTV still has IFC in migraine inducing SD only).

I waited years for DirecTV to add AMC HD when I could have watched it all along on another provider. I've learned my lesson. Go with the provider that has the content you want today. Doing without and waiting is pointless.

We are definitely looking at DTV, and will switch if they don't have AMC back on Dish for TWD. We have so many things DVR'd (and on disc) we are hardly doing without :D. And switching is really a PIA, with so much on the DVR that would be "lost". That is why we're waiting it out a bit.

DTV has BBCAmerica in SD, but I hear that is changing. Dish has it in HD. (Although my husband swears he pay no attention to HD, SD, Blu-ray, or even VHS, as he is just concentrating on the content!)

Also, our local cable, ABB, is $165/mo, compared to less than $100/mo I am paying Dish for all of the premiums, excepting EPIX. That is just too steep; I don't really see a reason for us to go back to cable.

This is such an interesting thread; I wish I had time to read all of the informative and learned posts! :)
JOY

#1665 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

And BBCAmerica has that new show "Coppers" starting this weekend. I have already set the DVR for it.
A full DVR is a good reason not to switch. I have the same and a number of those shows aren't easily replaceable. For me Hell on Wheels was the only significant show and the credits made it possible for me to go another year without having to even consider switching.
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1666 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

DTV has BBCAmerica in SD, but I hear that is changing.

It changed yesterday, it and Disney Junior and NatGeo Wild went HD.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#1667 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

DTV has BBCAmerica in SD, but I hear that is changing. Dish has it in HD. (Although my husband swears he pay no attention to HD, SD, Blu-ray, or even VHS, as he is just concentrating on the content!)

Also, our local cable, ABB, is $165/mo, compared to less than $100/mo I am paying Dish for all of the premiums, excepting EPIX. That is just too steep; I don't really see a reason for us to go back to cable.

Yep, DirecTV actually got BBCA HD yesterday, along with Nat Geo Wild and a couple of others. If they had gotten TCM and BBCA a few months ago, I'd be a DirecTV sub now instead of cable.

I agree cable is not an option for many due to cost, quality, line-up, you name it. Their DVR's are also overpriced junk. But my cable company had the content I wanted, and I was able to use my PC as my DVR, all at a very low initial price. In 2 years, the price will skyrocket and I may give satellite another look, probably not Dish though. In the mean time, I get AMC and everything else I like to watch.

Best of luck to you.

#1668 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

We are definitely looking at DTV, and will switch if they don't have AMC back on Dish for TWD. We have so many things DVR'd (and on disc) we are hardly doing without :D. And switching is really a PIA, with so much on the DVR that would be "lost". That is why we're waiting it out a bit.

This is such an interesting thread; I wish I had time to read all of the informative and learned posts! :)

If you have that much to watch on your DVR all the time, I'd just Netflix all the amc shows you watch when they are available. That way your not in anyway helping amc out with getting the money they are asking for.

I don't see the point in switching for only one or two channels, unless they are your main locals or a major channel that carries sports you watch a lot of. Everything else can generally easily be had via Netflix in less than a year and will not have lost any value. Now if half your stations left, that's different. But I doubt amc shows account for anywhere close to even 10% of people's viewing overall.

#1669 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

Yep, DirecTV actually got BBCA HD yesterday,

Not sure why people care so much about the Star Trek channel.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#1670 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

Its not Star Trek, but the new series Coppers. I watched the trailer and it seems to have good sets, good costumes and looks to be a good cast. We'll see Sunday whether it looks to be a winner or not. Glad to see other channels stepping up with Original Series programming.
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1671 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

Not sure why people care so much about the Star Trek channel.

While I admit, I think it is a waste for BBC America to be carrying Star Trek in lieu of some quality BBC programming that would be new to us...

They do carry quite a bit of good BBC content:

Doctor Who, Top Gear, Law & Order UK, the already mentioned Copper... and lots of other BBC shows that aren't otherwise available on other channels.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#1672 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,320 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

With the loss of AMC, the only channel left in the AT200 package that wasn't in the AT120 package that we watched was BBCA. It wasn't worth $15 a month, but I'd easily pay $5 because there is a lot of good content.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#1673 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

If you have that much to watch on your DVR all the time, I'd just Netflix all the amc shows you watch when they are available. That way your not in anyway helping amc out with getting the money they are asking for.

I don't see the point in switching for only one or two channels, unless they are your main locals or a major channel that carries sports you watch a lot of. Everything else can generally easily be had via Netflix in less than a year and will not have lost any value. Now if half your stations left, that's different. But I doubt amc shows account for anywhere close to even 10% of people's viewing overall.

Yeah, but we do miss IFC movies and AMC shows. TWD and MM are two of our all time fave shows. As our computer is at work, so we do not stream through Netflix. I buy the discs and then resell them, which ends us costing me nearly nothing.

:D The optimist in me thinks AMC will be back on Dish eventually.

BBC's Copper looks great, and it is nice to see them get away from the reality type TV of their more recent programming. Their detective/mysteries are much more realistic then the CSI's. BBC (through Acorn media usu.) releases a lot of stellar mysteries on Region 1, such as George Gently, that I buy/resell. Apparently there is not an audience in the US for these on TV, but they sure are popular on eBay and half.

Edited by joyandjerry, 17 August 2012 - 01:15 PM.
typo

JOY

#1674 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,320 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

There's a thread just started that everyone here should be watching Cablevision Drops Tribune Stations In Fee Dispute. In case you missed one of the posts here that mentions it, Cablevision company Chairman is Charles F. Dolan, the billionaire who coincidentally is Chairman of AMC Networks. According to Variety:

"A major barrier to an agreement is Cablevision's strongly-held view that Tribune is attempting to illegally tie the carriage of its Fox affiliate in Hartford to WPIX and other less popular Tribune-owned channels," Cablevision said in a statement. "We are pursuing both legal and regulatory options to stop Tribune's illegal tying and will continue to hold the line on increasing programming costs."

..."The bankrupt Tribune Company and the hedge funds and banks that own it, including Oaktree Capital Management, Angelo Gordon & Co. and others are trying to solve Tribune's financial problems on the backs of Cablevision customers," Cablevision said. "Tribune and their hedge fund owners are demanding tens of millions in new fees for WPIX and other stations they own. They should stop their anti-consumer demands and work productively to reach an agreement."

Yes indeed, when an anti-consumer channel owner tries to solve their financial problems on the backs of viewers by tying the carriage of its less popular channels to their popular one, the signal provider should dump them all, just like Dish did with AMC Networks.

Glad to hear the owner of AMC Networks agrees with that philosophy. :rolleyes:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#1675 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:56 AM

There's a thread just started that everyone here should be watching Cablevision Drops Tribune Stations In Fee Dispute.

Glad to hear the owner of AMC Networks agrees with that philosophy. :rolleyes:

Glad you posted this... I think a couple of us had said earlier in this thread that Cablevision has in the past and likely would in the future treat other channels exactly like Dish treated AMC if the tables were turned.

Nice to see Charles Dolan not letting us down :)

I wonder how AMC would spin this... Maybe the Voom lawsuit is somehow making Cablevision not negotiate with tribune? ;)

#1676 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:55 AM

Just for fun... another old article... from last year, when AMC was negotiating on whether or not to bring back "Breaking Bad"... a neat quote from an interview:

"Deadline: Did AMC want to truncate season 5 of Breaking Bad?
Collier: There has been a lot reported about this negotiation, but we would never comment on an open negotiation in the press."

Full article here.

I wonder what changed... Last year their president said they would "never comment" on negotiations in the press... and yet, that's pretty much all they did regarding Dish prior to when Dish dropped the channels.

One would think AMC would not have spoken to the press (or created that Web site) until after the contract expired IF they were true to their mantra... but it would seem they only feel that way when it suits them.

#1677 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Collier: There has been a lot reported about this negotiation, but we would never comment on an open negotiation in the press."

I suspect that Collier was only referring to 'open negotiations' between AMC and content providers, since that was the context of the article.

But I do take your point. When it suits them, the head honcho's got no problem negotiating in the 'press'.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#1678 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

Just for fun... another old article... from last year, when AMC was negotiating on whether or not to bring back "Breaking Bad"... a neat quote from an interview:

Full article here.

I wonder what changed... Last year their president said they would "never comment" on negotiations in the press... and yet, that's pretty much all they did regarding Dish prior to when Dish dropped the channels.

One would think AMC would not have spoken to the press (or created that Web site) until after the contract expired IF they were true to their mantra... but it would seem they only feel that way when it suits them.

Man, you just can't avoid a chance to take shots at AMC can you? I suspect there is a difference in negotiations with someone "in the family" as in a show on your network and with a provider.

If you're going to start the taking shots game back up, the where is the rate drop for Dish subscribers now that they have the whatever millions in their pocket that they were paying AMC? Since this is all about taking care of their subscribers? Dish dropped AMC off and the other channels off their list, added nothing new to replace it, and I'm still paying what I was paying when I was able to watch AMC. To use your consistency logic, if Dish is just trying to keep their subscribers costs down and was "true to their mantra", that new money in Dish's pocket should be used to reduce subscriber rates.

#1679 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,641 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

To use your consistency logic, if Dish is just trying to keep their subscribers costs down and was "true to their mantra", that new money in Dish's pocket should be used to reduce subscriber rates.

Perhaps it's being used to offset other increased costs....;)

But, seriously, you don't expect any provider to drop subscriber rates for this kind of thing, do you? Seriously, now.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1680 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

Man, you just can't avoid a chance to take shots at AMC can you?

AMC is the bad guy here. Plain and simple. No other way to state it.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

spam firewall