Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1701 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

^^^I really enjoy TWD as well and it would be great if there is resolution to this but I would not count on it. The resolution strategy for Dish was to make sure customers who like AMC programming could receive it via other outlets. Even going so far as to offer those with no Amazon VOD streaming hardware the ability to receive a free Roku (if you have high speed internet at home). In addition they have been offering credits to cover the cost of receiving these shows through outlets like Amazon.

I personally feel that if they really thought there would be resolution to this that they would not have taken these steps to encourage their own customers to go to an alternate provider of content.

I hope I am wrong and a resolution is reached in the near future but the realist in me is overriding the optimist. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1702 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,690 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Stewart, I would assume that AMC (and other networks) have "sporadic" viewers (like us) that tune in when a series that interests them is broadcast.

True... and that is part of the problem when the "smaller" channels negotiate... they don't seem to realize that everybody knows they have sporadic viewers, so instead they try and quote from their peak viewing times.

It would seem to make more sense, from a statistical point of view, to track the viewing habits of the subscribers over an entire year of programming.

Even that is bad for AMC, though... because they have a literal handful of programs and they don't even re-run them in the off-season much... and they run infomercials during the late/overnight hours... so even if you watch every one of AMC's new-produced-dramas, you still wouldn't be watching AMC that much of the time.

Many subscribers may not watch AMC until TWD or MM is on, esp. TWD. That is why AMC is making such a big deal out of Dish dropping their channels, as I'm sure a large amount of Dish subscribers watch TWD.

And this is where that falls apart... We don't have all the numbers divided out to say for sure... but here's what we do "know" from various sources.

There are ~100 million paytv customers (satellite + cable) in the US... Dish has ~14 million of those... and AMC on their best rated night had about 9 million people watch one of those Walking Dead episodes.

So... less than 10% of the total paytv customers... so strictly on the math, one might guess around 1 million at most Dish customers watched that episode of the Walking Dead.

That could be high, though, because it might not necessarily track that Dish has the same equal distribution of AMC fans that other paytv providers do.

Still... what it boils down to is that AMC has lost all of those viewers now... while Dish only lost a handful of people who probably switched at this point... certainly far less than 1 million people have left Dish over this.

AMC can certainly survive w/o Dish, but then what about their contracts with DTV, Comcast, etc. Surely they can't just alienate all of the other providers. The optimist in me is hoping for a resolution in time for TWD. :) I've always been happy with Dish, and have a lot on the DVR, but want my zombie fix . . .:lol:

I think Dish survives the loss of AMC far easier than the other way around. Also, as you say, if DirecTV plays hardball next time, AMC could find itself on the outside looking in...

I would like it to be back... but since all I'll be missing is the Walking Dead and I'll buy that on Blu-ray anyway... I can live without the channel and watch the episodes when I buy them.

Please excuse this question, as it may be common knowledge, but what does "DBS" stand for? :confused: Your dedication to the forum is appreciated. I wish I had time to read more of the informative posts!!

In this context... DBS = Direct Broadcast Satellite... the "direct" meaning intended direct to the consumer essentially.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#1703 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

:bowdown: Thank you so much, Stewart, for taking the time to address my queries. I had that hunch about DBS, but like to be certain!

:) Thanks again, and have a happy holiday!!
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#1704 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,690 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

:bowdown: Thank you so much, Stewart, for taking the time to address my queries. I had that hunch about DBS, but like to be certain!

:) Thanks again, and have a happy holiday!!

You're welcome... FYI, I did put my money where my mouth is... and picked up season 2 of the Walking Dead this week...

#1705 OFFLINE   bigdog9586

bigdog9586

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

My wife called Dish the other day complaint about AMC and can't watch Hell on Wheels or the upcoming Walking Dead. They are sending her this http://www.roku.com/ I'm guessing the cheapest one which is $49.95 plus they credited our account for $35 to pay for her downloading them from Amazon. That's $85 and if they do that for everyone who calls in how can that be cheaper than settling with AMC?

#1706 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,608 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

if they do that for everyone who calls in how can that be cheaper than settling with AMC?

Because only a very small number of people call. Most just accept change for what it is and don't make a big deal out of losing a channel.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#1707 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

My wife called Dish the other day complaint about AMC and can't watch Hell on Wheels or the upcoming Walking Dead. They are sending her this http://www.roku.com/ I'm guessing the cheapest one which is $49.95 plus they credited our account for $35 to pay for her downloading them from Amazon. That's $85 and if they do that for everyone who calls in how can that be cheaper than settling with AMC?

They don't do that for everyone who calls. Everyone doesn't watch AMC. And everyone who did doesn't call. So it's possibly way cheaper that way.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1708 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,690 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

That's $85 and if they do that for everyone who calls in how can that be cheaper than settling with AMC?

It has to do with the greater math in play... Just making up some numbers here because I don't know any for sure...

Dish has ~14 million subscribers... with supposedly most getting the AT200 or higher, which would have included AMC.

So... let's say 10 million subscribers were in a tier that included AMC... so that means if AMC was getting 30 cents per subscriber, we would be talking about Dish paying AMC somewhere in the neighborhood of $300,000.00 per month.

Ok...

AMC's best/highest rated program had about 9 million viewers... and estimates have around 100 million paytv customers in the US... so let's say 10% of paytv customers are AMC viewers.

I bet the number is lower for Dish... but that would mean about 1 million of the people who were paying for AMC actually watched it at some point... so IF every one of those customers called Dish and said "gimme gimme"... then Dish would be paying out more...

But also... we only counted based on the old Dish contract... rumors had AMC asking for as high as 75 cents... which would raise that monthly payout to AMC from $300K to $750K if that was the new contract...

But factor in that probably well less than half will actually complain and ask for something... and the fact that a credit costs Dish less than a payout... plus they probably have a deal with the Rokus since once you get a Roku you probably use it for other things, so that benefits the Roku people... and I think Charlie said it best in a conference call when he said they could probably subsidize all the fans of certain shows on AMC for less money than it cost to pay for what AMC wanted to increase to...

So while Dish couldn't do this for every channel dispute... certainly to send a message for this one, they can.

#1709 OFFLINE   psycaz

psycaz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

Which department did she talk to? I would love to call and complain to get this deal. It would let me watch TWD for sure.

#1710 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,690 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

A little over a month until Walking Dead season 3... so either we get AMC back by then because AMC flinches... OR I'll be waiting until next year for the Blu-rays.

In the meantime, I bought season 2 on Blu-ray... so I have all those episodes to re-watch.

#1711 OFFLINE   sloop30

sloop30

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

Yeah I just got season 2 as well, wondering what will happen with amc.

#1712 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:19 AM

;

A little over a month until Walking Dead season 3... so either we get AMC back by then because AMC flinches... OR I'll be waiting until next year for the Blu-rays.

In the meantime, I bought season 2 on Blu-ray... so I have all those episodes to re-watch.

;) I still believe a deal will be signed before TWD airs.

#1713 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

All of the dialog here has made me checkout a few programs on AMC that I had never watched. Not sure I am into Breaking Bad. I'll give it a few more episodes. The wife clearly is not into it. I ordered the BluRay of Season 1 of Mad Men from the Dish Blockbuster and we like it. Since it started in 2007 we have a lot of BluRays to go through before we are ready for the 2012 season. Dish did give me a credit to download the HD version for Hell on Wheels from iTunes and I really like that show. With all of the new shows starting this fall, I have way more material to watch than what my schedule allows so whether AMC and Dish reach agreement is not really an issue for me.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1714 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

Hmmm my brother has DISH but doesnt have the internet maybe i should tell him to complain and see if dish will give him a discount to get the internet plus a free roku and credits to get these shows from amazon:lol: just kidding i couldnt resist:D

#1715 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,608 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:59 AM

All of the dialog here has made me checkout a few programs on AMC that I had never watched. Not sure I am into Breaking Bad.

See, I'm not into drug dealers or stories about them. Part of the reason I never watched Weeds.

Also not into reanimated dead things. Never even really cared for any of the Frankenstein movies or any of the 50s Zombie junk.

Same thing for biker gangs.

So, it really doesn't matter if they're perceived as 'well written and acted' or not. I would never watch any of them.

#1716 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

See, I'm not into drug dealers or stories about them. Part of the reason I never watched Weeds.

Also not into reanimated dead things. Never even really cared for any of the Frankenstein movies or any of the 50s Zombie junk.

Same thing for biker gangs.

So, it really doesn't matter if they're perceived as 'well written and acted' or not. I would never watch any of them.

We never cared for any zombie movies, feeling that they were too campy. But TWD got a review from the Wall Street Journal that stated she never thought she would like a show about zombies, but TWD was so much more, so we gave it a try. It is now one of our faves! The show is a very serious survivalist drama. Some episodes actually feature very few zombies, to the point where viewers were complaining they weren't "featured" enough.

So to each his own! Many shows the subject matter doesn't appeal to us either, as with the others you mentioned. But often these shows are not would one would expect or "assume".
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#1717 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

HOW and MM are excellent programs. My house will miss them. I hope this pissing contest ends before they return.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#1718 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,608 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

I was under the impression it ended a couple of months ago.

#1719 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

I was under the impression it ended a couple of months ago.

MM has one season left, or so I have read. HOW is coming.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#1720 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,608 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

I mean the dispute. As in they ain't talkin' and AMC ain't comin' back, no way, no how.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...