Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1721 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

At this point Dish has probably survived any change in membership due to the dropping of AMC. In my opinion they have done a good job in minimizing the impact and keeping customers happy. Clearly if someone didn't or doesn't speak up, they get no compensation. The impact on AMC will only be known when their financial results come out for the quarter as I am sure they are trying to keep the numbers pretty close to the vest.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1722 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,363 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

There are too many variables in accounting such that AMC, if they desired, could completely mask any effect, or exaggerate it.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1723 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

There are too many variables in accounting such that AMC, if they desired, could completely mask any effect, or exaggerate it.

Yeah, heck they could quote Dish's CEO and claim they didn't have that many viewers on Dish anyway so the impact isn't that much. ;)

It is clear this isn't a normal channel carriage dispute: these two owners have made it personal and neither wants to compromise. So the odds are high Dish customers just won't get to watch AMC shows (unless they go elsewhere.)

Leaving the viewers out, and just looking from a company point of view, hard to see it any way except that it hurts AMC more than Dish. At least short term. You never know how many new customers each year will choose DirectTV instead of Dish because they want to be able to get AMC. But in the short term I have to guess this hurts AMC's ad rates ( though we'll probably see those numbers this coming season.)

#1724 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

I mean the dispute. As in they ain't talkin' and AMC ain't comin' back, no way, no how.

If business has taught me one thing it is....never, ever, say never.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#1725 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,363 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

If business has taught me one thing it is....never, ever, say never.

Good point. Money talks; nobody walks!

Is your handle a Porsche reference? I had a 356-A....

#1726 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

Good point. Money talks; nobody walks!

Is your handle a Porsche reference? I had a 356-A....

I was surprised that AMC was on Dish in HD to begin with.

I wish that some agreement would happen allowing AMC HD, We TV HD, IFC HD, and Sundance Channel HD.

#1727 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:32 AM

TWD is more about group dynamics and how society functions after an apocalyptic event. Zombies are there just to add tension.

#1728 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

Yeah, heck they could quote Dish's CEO and claim they didn't have that many viewers on Dish anyway so the impact isn't that much. ;)

It is clear this isn't a normal channel carriage dispute: these two owners have made it personal and neither wants to compromise. So the odds are high Dish customers just won't get to watch AMC shows (unless they go elsewhere.)

Leaving the viewers out, and just looking from a company point of view, hard to see it any way except that it hurts AMC more than Dish. At least short term. You never know how many new customers each year will choose DirectTV instead of Dish because they want to be able to get AMC. But in the short term I have to guess this hurts AMC's ad rates ( though we'll probably see those numbers this coming season.)

Great points!! That, IMOSHO, is why AMC is "dissing Dish" (try saying that ten times fast :lol:), as they know they will lose viewers come October.

But Dish also knows in the future they will lose potential customers. I upgraded my receiver a year ago and would pick DTV if I had to do it again today b/c of AMC/IFC. We may switch in the future, but the benefit/PIA of a DVR is that we have a lot on there to watch. In possible anticipation of a switch, we are making an effort to watch DVR'd content. It's good to "clean house" every so often!! :D
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#1729 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

All of the dialog here has made me checkout a few programs on AMC that I had never watched. Not sure I am into Breaking Bad. I'll give it a few more episodes. The wife clearly is not into it. I ordered the BluRay of Season 1 of Mad Men from the Dish Blockbuster and we like it. Since it started in 2007 we have a lot of BluRays to go through before we are ready for the 2012 season. Dish did give me a credit to download the HD version for Hell on Wheels from iTunes and I really like that show. With all of the new shows starting this fall, I have way more material to watch than what my schedule allows so whether AMC and Dish reach agreement is not really an issue for me.

+1

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#1730 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,363 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

Just a quick word on Breaking Bad. For me, the only thing that worked was going to Season 1, Episode 1. A bit doubtful after that, but an ep or two more, I was hooked. I had tried jumping in middle season 3 and it didn't take.

I caught the first three seasons on Netflix.

#1731 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

I have about 18 episodes of BB recorded from their event right before they pulled the plug. I am missing a few but can get them through Blockbuster. It is on the backburner now as I am more into Mad Men and Hell on Wheels.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1732 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

According to a CBS News story (http://m.cbsnews.com...9&videofeed=999), it is expected for AMC Networks and Dish to reach a settlement before a September 19 trial date. However, I think it is important to remember that anything can happen.

#1733 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,618 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

According to a CBS News story (http://m.cbsnews.com...9&videofeed=999), it is expected for AMC Networks and Dish to reach a settlement before a September 19 trial date. However, I think it is important to remember that anything can happen.

That article has several wrong things in it... The most egregious is saying that "Dish has blacked out AMC channels since July"...

Dish has NOT blacked out AMC channels. Dish and AMC did not renew their contract to carry once the contract expired.

There is no blackout. Dish has no contract to carry AMC channels.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#1734 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

I just scanned several other articles on various sites and .....

A ) None of them mention talks or anything close to a carriage deal.

B ) Some of them mention increasing tensions between Dish and CBS over the Hopper suit.

So that fact that the above mentioned article is from CBS makes me wonder about impartiality.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#1735 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,363 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

That article has several wrong things in it... The most egregious is saying that "Dish has blacked out AMC channels since July"...

Dish has NOT blacked out AMC channels. Dish and AMC did not renew their contract to carry once the contract expired.

There is no blackout. Dish has no contract to carry AMC channels.

I'd go a bit further and say AMC pulled the channels. AMC could have kept them on during negotiations, so it was they who blacked them out.

#1736 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

I also think AMC is being disingenuous when their ads state DISH viewers are paying for AMC but not getting it.

Au contraire; we're not getting DISH because we don't want to pay higher rates that would ensue due to the confiscatory retransmit rates AMC demands.

#1737 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

I also think AMC is being disingenuous when their ads state DISH viewers are paying for AMC but not getting it.

They are referring to the fact Dish did not drop rates. That ignores three things. Free Roku's and discounts being given. And Dish does not raise rates either each time a new channel is added.

#1738 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

Every night driving home from work I hear the Comcast add touting that they have those channels and that Dish dropped them.

And I think to myself so what, I didn't watch them except once in a blue moon. Shame for those that did watch them.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#1739 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

The Dish/VOOM trial started today. http://www.businessw...mad-men-to-dish Maybe we'll get AMC back eventually! AMC does not want to lose viewers.

Also, I read that CBS is threatening to drop Dish b/c of the Hopper. That would be the final nail in the coffin for us, as we watch many CBS procedurals.
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#1740 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,618 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

Off-topic, but CBS can't threaten to drop Dish exactly... I mean, CBS doesn't own and operate ALL of even a majority of the CBS affiliates out there... so they don't have a say in that.

IF CBS attaches other channels it does own to the OTA dispute, then they will look bad for doing so in customer's eyes since customers frankly want the commercial skipping feature.

So... CBS' best chance is in court, IF they can win an injunction there... but CBS will never win in the court of public opinion.

Even people like me that see their beef about the AutoHop feature wouldn't support CBS taking the ball and going home over it.

Meanwhile, back to topic... it will be interesting to see IF the Voom lawsuit proceedings have any effect on getting AMC back.

The funny thing is AMC's actions in many ways support what Dish said about how Rainbow (the former AMC operation name) ran Voom... asking for money but not spending it on the programming they say... so in some ways the recent AMC dispute hurts the Voom suit more than Dish's behavior I think.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...