Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1741 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

CBS is available OTA in most large areas. Only change for me might be to order the dual OTA tuner for my 722K. My 722 already has OTA. I can see where it might bother the Hopper people since there is currently no OTA module. Who knows, Dish is pretty creative. They might even speed up the development and give the OTA modules away free or at low cost.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1742 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

CBS is available OTA in most large areas. Only change for me might be to order the dual OTA tuner for my 722K. My 722 already has OTA. I can see where it might bother the Hopper people since there is currently no OTA module. Who knows, Dish is pretty creative. They might even speed up the development and give the OTA modules away free or at low cost.

Keep in mind, though, IF CBS pulls its owned channels... then that means the EPG data is gone too... so you would have to set manual timers, and some Dish receivers do not have that feature any longer.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#1743 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

Keep in mind, though, IF CBS pulls its owned channels... then that means the EPG data is gone too... so you would have to set manual timers, and some Dish receivers do not have that feature any longer.

Just curious, why would all CBS EPG data not be available?

#1744 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 811 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

I know this isn't a option for everyone, but I have 29$ R sh*ck antenna in my attic that pulls in the big 4 and others, about 10 channels in all.

Always good to have as a back up, especially if you lose signal, so if cbs drops dish, no sweat.:P

#1745 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

Just curious, why would all CBS EPG data not be available?

Dish only uplinks the EPG data for channels they carry OR for some sub-channels in some markets.

Whenever Dish has dropped a local channel from satellite delivery, the OTA EPG has also reverted to "No Information" as well.

#1746 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

In light of the way that Dish has handled the AMC situation and tried to keep customers happy, it wouldn't surprise me if they continued to upload the EPG data.

On another note, we just finished watching the last disc of Season 1 of Mad Men and have Season 2 on our BB Queue. One could always hope that by the time we get caught up that AMC might be back on Dish. Not a hill to die on but it would be nice.
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1747 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

Interesting to see the Drama Emmy Nominees for 2012 and AMC is very well represented.

DRAMA SERIES
"Boardwalk Empire" (HBO)
"Breaking Bad" (AMC)
"Downton Abbey" (PBS)
"Game of Thrones" (HBO)
"Homeland" (Showtime)
"Mad Men" (AMC)

DRAMA ACTOR
Steve Buscemi as Nucky Thompson in "Boardwalk Empire"
Bryan Cranston as Walter White in "Breaking Bad"
Michael C. Hall as Dexter Morgan in "Dexter"
Hugh Bonneville as Robert, Earl of Grantham in "Downton Abbey"
Damian Lewis as Nicholas Brody in "Homeland"
Jon Hamm as Don Draper in "Mad Men"

SUPPORTING DRAMA ACTOR

Aaron Paul as Jesse Pinkman in "Breaking Bad"
Giancarlo Esposito as Gustavo 'Gus' Fring in "Breaking Bad"
Brendan Coyle as John Bates in "Downton Abbey"
Jim Carter as Mr. Carson in "Downton Abbey"
Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in "Game of Thrones"
Jared Harris as Lane Pryce "Mad Men"

SUPPORTING DRAMA ACTRESS
Anna Gunn as Skyler White in "Breaking Bad"
Maggie Smith as Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham in "Downton Abbey"
Joanne Froggatt as Anna in "Downton Abbey"
Archie Panjabi as Kalinda Sharma in "The Good Wife"
Christine Baranski as Diane Lockhart in "The Good Wife"
Christina Hendricks as Joan Holloway Harris in "Mad Men"
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1748 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:07 PM

Emmys and Oscars are designed for actors and the like to pat each other on the back.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#1749 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:59 AM

Emmys and Oscars are designed for actors and the like to pat each other on the back.

Not only that... but of the two shows on AMC garnering those nominations... Breaking Bad is in its final season and Mad Men has almost been canceled once already due to dispute with the showrunners over cost.. so don't hold your breath thinking Mad Men will be around much longer.

AMC wants to lock providers into a 3-5 year contract most likely (a guess on my part based on other channel deals we have read about recently)... by which time you could find yourself locked into paying for AMC and none of those award winning shows are on the air to justify that higher contract.

#1750 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

Not only that... but of the two shows on AMC garnering those nominations... Breaking Bad is in its final season and Mad Men has almost been canceled once already due to dispute with the showrunners over cost.. so don't hold your breath thinking Mad Men will be around much longer.

I believe that it was determined that Mad Men would run a maximum of seven seasons,
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#1751 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

But these shows have been praised by just about everyone as truly great shows. I don't think anyone gains any traction by arguing the shows aren't among the best on TV. Unless you go purely by ratings in which case a person would conclude the reality show exploiting Nanny Boo Boo or whatever that little girl s name is quality TV.

#1752 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

But these shows have been praised by just about everyone as truly great shows. I don't think anyone gains any traction by arguing the shows aren't among the best on TV. Unless you go purely by ratings in which case a person would conclude the reality show exploiting Nanny Boo Boo or whatever that little girl s name is quality TV.

Actually... I like your idea better...

"Nanny Nightmares" meets "Honey Boo Boo" to make "Nanny Boo Boo"

I still wouldn't watch :) But the idea is better!

#1753 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:00 AM

AMC said it would stream the Season 3 premiere of "The Walking Dead" live, and provide the episode free for all customers of Dish Network who are caught in the middle of a tug of war between the cable channel and the satellite provider.
The livestream will air the same time as the live episode on television, coming Oct. 14 at 9 p.m. ET. It will stream through the channel's website at AMCtv.com.

http://www.rabiddoll...-dead-live.html

#1754 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

So what is the main stumbling block, between Dish and AMC?

#1755 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,129 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Just the season premier? Geeh, how sweet of them (AMC). :rolleyes:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1756 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

So what is the main stumbling block, between Dish and AMC?

$$$ over the Voom channels from a few years ago...even though in a sense Dish helped save them by carrying them from the defunct Voom service...I bet Dish wishes it did not now...

#1757 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

So, offering it free. Sure, Dolans, let's cheapen your product even more. Genius.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#1758 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

So, offering it free. Sure, Dolans, let's cheapen your product even more. Genius.

Dish can strengthen its argument about AMC Networks offering content online.

#1759 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,129 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

It's 1 episode that'll get a few Dish subs to call and complain more. It's similar to HBO's free weekend during a big season premier like Boardwalk Empire.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1760 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Only interested if they stream Talking Dead.

AMC cant milk TWD for ever though, this season should prove to be one of the best, then it will follow the same downward repetitive boring spiral the comic did after the prison and prison redux arcs.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...