Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1761 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

Only interested if they stream Talking Dead.

AMC cant milk TWD for ever though, this season should prove to be one of the best, then it will follow the same downward repetitive boring spiral the comic did after the prison and prison redux arcs.

I've never seen the Talking Dead.. Is that pretty good? It's the follow up show, I know this much.. That would be a cool stream..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1762 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

Its pretty entertaining I really enjoyed it last season.

Its really great (though rare) when someone calls in and asks questions about the comic characters and if they'll show up on the show (usually happens when Kirkman was in the episode).

#1763 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

So, offering it free. Sure, Dolans, let's cheapen your product even more. Genius.

I never got this argument about AMC cheapening their product. They don't have many, if any, full episodes for free on their site. It isn't offered on Hulu/Hulu+ or Amazon. Netflix only has the previous seasons available and if you want any of the current season and don't have a pay-tv subscription, you have to pay $2-$3 per episode. If anything, it goes for a premium. :confused:

#1764 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

I never got this argument about AMC cheapening their product. They don't have many, if any, full episodes for free on their site. It isn't offered on Hulu/Hulu+ or Amazon. Netflix only has the previous seasons available and if you want any of the current season and don't have a pay-tv subscription, you have to pay $2-$3 per episode. If anything, it goes for a premium. :confused:

Two things in play..

Giving away an episode now for free just means no reason for Dish to worry about it for another week... free isn't what AMC offered to Dish. IF AMC is willing to give it away free, why not let Dish keep the AMC feed while they negotiate?

On the larger online versions... IF you only wanted a higher tier for AMC, and only wanted AMC for a few shows (they only have a few shows of original programming)... you'd probably save money by dropping that higher tier from Dish and just buying those episodes online for a few shows.

Charlie himself said that he could probably reimburse customers for buying episodes in this way for the number of viewers that actually wanted those particular episodes... and save money based on what AMC wanted to increase the rates... hence, Dish issuing credits and giving out Rokus to people.

That's the problem... AMC trying to get money from too many different places and not realizing how it all interacts and crashes together when it comes to negotiations.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#1765 OFFLINE   RVRambler

RVRambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

"complained' about no AMC and they offered me a 'discount' of $2.5 mo for Encore, said no thanks. He then xfered me to 'loyalty' person who voiced her 'I did not ever enjoy AMC (Mad M, etc) but some of my friends.......... yada, yada, blah, blah....".

Ended up getting a $10 discount on bill for 1 yr. Much preferred to nearly anything they could offer short of AMC, last yr on 2 yr contract.

Did ask why no HD ESPNU, she thought is was in HD, on HD transponder, so re-checked, & of course she was wrong.

College basketball soon, ESPNU has a fair # of games which I watch, too bad, now I have to 'guess' who that player is and find it 'hard' to argue with the ref call!! :) Blind as what we blame on Ref's with just SD!! Fairly sucky but.........

It PAYS to complain!!
Rambling 'Round n RV'

VIP-722k
1000.2, Dual DPP rooftop

#1766 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

I did even better. I cancelled Dish and got cable. Now I not only have AMC HD, but also WE HD and IFC HD. Plus I'm saving $50/month for the next 2 years. It may pay a little to complain, but it pays a lot more to drop Dish altogether.

I realize cable won't work in an RV, but it's a good option for us non-ramblers.

#1767 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Two things in play..

Giving away an episode now for free just means no reason for Dish to worry about it for another week... free isn't what AMC offered to Dish. IF AMC is willing to give it away free, why not let Dish keep the AMC feed while they negotiate?

On the larger online versions... IF you only wanted a higher tier for AMC, and only wanted AMC for a few shows (they only have a few shows of original programming)... you'd probably save money by dropping that higher tier from Dish and just buying those episodes online for a few shows.

Charlie himself said that he could probably reimburse customers for buying episodes in this way for the number of viewers that actually wanted those particular episodes... and save money based on what AMC wanted to increase the rates... hence, Dish issuing credits and giving out Rokus to people.

That's the problem... AMC trying to get money from too many different places and not realizing how it all interacts and crashes together when it comes to negotiations.

That would be nice but Dish didn't even want to negotiate. They just dropped the channel. You can't leave something up if there is no negotiation.

I will still never get the argument that having previous seasons on Netflix is a a bad thing. It's not the new episodes. I used Netflix to get into Dexter when it was still on Netflix. Now I subscribe so I can watch all the new episodes. That helps Showtime and D. Right? More money coming in.

I know people that did the same for Walking Dead. They got the higher package so they can watch the show. Should be win win!

#1768 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

Timing is also key here. Although a lot of the AMC shows like WD, BB, MM and HOW are in their new season, but so is everything else, and their are some good new shows.
Last Resort is looking very promising.
I am a Blue Bloods fan.
Revenge has me hooked.
Vegas is good with Michael Chiklis.
Arrow and Revolution sound promising.
So for me, I am in catchup mode on Mad Men at Disc 2 of Season 2 through Blockbuster. And Dish set me up with Hell on Wheels.
Couple that with the SF 49ers having a good season and the Giants in the playoffs. My DVR will keep me busy for the foreseeable future.
I won't have to be concerned about whether Dish and AMC resolve their differences for at least another year.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1769 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

That would be nice but Dish didn't even want to negotiate. They just dropped the channel. You can't leave something up if there is no negotiation.

Faulty premise there, though... Dish didn't drop the channels. AMC pulled the feed when the contract was up.

Dish said AMC wanted too much, AMC said Dish refused to negotiate. We only have AMC's "word" that Dish refused to negotiate... but we know AMC pulled the feed at the end of the month.

#1770 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

Normally I would agree with that.(questioning the lack of negotiating) I do however think Dish in this case decided they were not going to carry AMC unless AMC agreed to things Dish knew they would not agree to. As an example only wanting AMC, not WE or Sundance etc...) And the remarks made by AMC that AMC wanted much more money from any carrier (though not all at once) gave Dish an opening. Take away the lawsuit and I feel AMC might still be carried.

#1771 OFFLINE   paja

paja

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Timing is also key here. Although a lot of the AMC shows like WD, BB, MM and HOW are in their new season, but so is everything else, and their are some good new shows.
Last Resort is looking very promising.
I am a Blue Bloods fan.
Revenge has me hooked.
Vegas is good with Michael Chiklis.
Arrow and Revolution sound promising.
So for me, I am in catchup mode on Mad Men at Disc 2 of Season 2 through Blockbuster. And Dish set me up with Hell on Wheels.
Couple that with the SF 49ers having a good season and the Giants in the playoffs. My DVR will keep me busy for the foreseeable future.
I won't have to be concerned about whether Dish and AMC resolve their differences for at least another year.

My wife and I are with your list plus Hawaii 5-O and GRIMM

#1772 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:12 AM

I signed up for the streaming feed. Funky stuff afoot here... All I know is that after my contract expires and if TWD is still on, I'll drop Dish.

That all said, I do like Talking Dead, too. Though we used to record TWD and TD then watch them Monday after we watched Dexter. Now... we will record Dexter and stream a feed of TWD.

This whole finger pointing thing is a shame when subscribers, for whatever reason, are caught in the middle of two childish entities who can't get along.

Scott
--
Fly RC Helicopters!
Team ALeeS RC

#1773 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

This whole finger pointing thing is a shame when subscribers, for whatever reason, are caught in the middle of two childish entities who can't get along.

Scott

Agree completely! The Dish/Voom trial is supposed to last until the end of the month, so then we'll know if AMC/IFC will ever be back. About 13% of AMC's subscribers are from Dish, although obviously not all subscribers watch AMC et al. Surely AMC doesn't want to lose that many potential viewers.

Our computer is at work, so we cannot stream these shows, unfortunately. We will also be switching if it is not back eventually.
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#1774 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

Talk about whining:

Posted Image

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#1775 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,647 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

Even as a DIRECTV® fanboi, I think AMC is being a complete d*** in this matter.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1776 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

Yeah, AMC is bashing Dish, instead of attemptimg to resolve the situation.
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#1777 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

Thing is, it really does not matter who is right and who is wrong in this dispute because it is the consumer who is wronged. Both Dish and AMC should simply grow up, face the music and stop playing media games.

Scott
--
Fly RC Helicopters!
Team ALeeS RC

#1778 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

If AMC put half the effort into negotiations that they put into their negative marketing... the channels might be back on Dish already.

edit: I wonder... AMC wanted a rate increase... but how much is their anti-Dish campaign costing them in marketing? They could save that money and put it towards their programming, couldn't they?

Edited by Stewart Vernon, 05 October 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#1779 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

Even as a DIRECTV® fanboi, I think AMC is being a complete d*** in this matter.

I agree.

#1780 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

I have been hearing commercial on the radio for weeks now..... Walking Dead is back, some random sounds and quotes, award winning blah blah..... BUT NOT ON DISH, If you are a Dish subscriber visit switchfromdish.com to switch and watch AMC!

I don't think Charlie is budging, AMC marketing machine! :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

spam firewall