Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,908 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

And what happens when every provider starts charging "excessive price increases" to gain their share of the pie? Does DISH just shut down?

It's a tightrope! Both sides need each other, but not at the extreme.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

I'll weigh in here. I'm on the fence about switching over from D, and I thought this might make me not want to switch. Then, after thinking about it, it's no big deal as I have netflix alreaday. The fact that I'll get FSC in HD with the 250 pack will still probably entice me. But it does make me nervous for the future as far as what I may lose channel wise within my 2 year commitment.

The real concern for me is not that Dish is dropping AMC, or that they no longer have ESPN News in HD, or that they no longer have Disney in HD or that they said they would have the RSN's in HD 24/7. But, do you see a pattern? That's my concern. When Dish ads a channel at no cost increase to us I feel that they consider that a good marketing vs. customer relations move and falls within their profit structure. I certainly appreciate it even if I never watch that channel. Maybe they could develop another Platinum Package and include AMC. Just a thought.

#163 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

Dish can't charge you for a channel they don't have. But Dish dropping AMC is just one channel in a package... If Dish dropped the whole package, then you have a point.

You can drop AT250 or whatever as soon as AMC goes dark... so you won't be paying for a channel/package they dropped!

IF Dish ever lost something like HBO, then you wouldn't be able to subscribe to that a la carte channel.

So... the arguments over "they can't charge me for something they dropped" really are strawman arguments.

IF the only reason you are on AT200 or AT250 or whatever is for one particular channel... then when Dish drops that channel, you drop that tier, and you are missing a channel BUT you aren't paying for it either. Done and done.

Not so. They're dropping the whole network, which is 4 channels not 1. It's a big deal.

Sad part is I'll have to quit satellite entirely because now my cable company is the only place left that has all the channels I want.

#164 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

The real concern for me is not that Dish is dropping AMC, or that they no longer have ESPN News in HD, or that they no longer have Disney in HD or that they said they would have the RSN's in HD 24/7. But, do you see a pattern? That's my concern. When Dish ads a channel at no cost increase to us I feel that they consider that a good marketing vs. customer relations move and falls within their profit structure. I certainly appreciate it even if I never watch that channel. Maybe they could develop another Platinum Package and include AMC. Just a thought.

The good thing is, I've been with D a long time, so I'm not under contract with anyone at the moment. Honestly, going under contract with any provider makes me nervous, the way they seem to play russian roulette with channels.
HR 22-100 Vizio 42" 1080P
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#165 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

Sad part is I'll have to quit satellite entirely because now my cable company is the only place left that has all the channels I want.

I went to satellite for several reasons:

• Satellite had a clear picture; cable was crummy
  • Satellite had channels my cable system didn't have.
  • Satellite was less expensive.
Now that Mediacom has gone digital, 1 does not apply. 2 still does; see below, and so does 3. But there's less a reason for me to avoid cable than there has been.

And in my case, no provider has all the channels I want. DirecTV doesn't have BBCA, HLN, H2, NGeoW in HD or all my locals in HD. DISH doesn't have ESPNU in HD, GOL-TV at all, and soon the AMC networks, unless things change. Mediacom doesn't have MLB, NBA, NHL networks. So I guess I go with the provider that has the fewest omissions!
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#166 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

So happy I didn't switch to Dish a couple weeks ago. (I really wanted the Hopper system)
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#167 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

Tick-tick-tick..........

Nobody knows when D-Day is? I wanna see the fireworks around here.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#168 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

I went to satellite for several reasons:

• Satellite had a clear picture; cable was crummy
  • Satellite had channels my cable system didn't have.
  • Satellite was less expensive.
Now that Mediacom has gone digital, 1 does not apply. 2 still does; see below, and so does 3. But there's less a reason for me to avoid cable than there has been.

And in my case, no provider has all the channels I want. DirecTV doesn't have BBCA, HLN, H2, NGeoW in HD or all my locals in HD. DISH doesn't have ESPNU in HD, GOL-TV at all, and soon the AMC networks, unless things change. Mediacom doesn't have MLB, NBA, NHL networks. So I guess I go with the provider that has the fewest omissions!

Those were my main reasons for switching to satellite years ago as well. Cable will cost me more in the long run, but at least it has all the HD Dish has plus AMC, Disney, and a few others, and no contract or equipment to buy. DirecTV isn't in the ballpark anymore due to the channels you listed and several others like G4, DIY and TCM. If I were a big sports fan it would be a different story. But in my case, cable has the fewest omissions, unfortunately.

With the SDV conversions, my cable system has added a huge number of channels. I wouldn't have even considered cable a few months ago. But the situation has changed very dramatically, very quickly.

I love my new Hopper, so I hate to leave. But losing AMC, IFC and Sundance is too much. I did the math, and the new customer deal will cover my ETF and what I wasted on my Hoopper and will continue to be cheaper over all until about the 5 year mark.

And If anyone one thinks this isn't already a done deal, just download the latest channel lineup cards. AMC, IFC, Sundance and WE are nowhere to be found. And the promised replacements for them are also nowhere to be found.

#169 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

And what happens when every provider starts charging "excessive price increases" to gain their share of the pie? Does DISH just shut down?

Don't know but what I do know is when you lose 14 million subscribers the advertisers will start to ask for a rebate on the price they paid for commercials on those networks.

There will be losers on both sides,churn for DISH, loss of viewership and revenue for the networks.

But someone has to make a stand and normally it's been DISH,if not now,when?.

That's why I support DISH and I have no plans to go elsewhere,it's only TV.:)

Edited by Jhon69, 09 May 2012 - 06:34 PM.

#170 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

And If anyone one thinks this isn't already a done deal, just download the latest channel lineup cards. AMC, IFC, Sundance and WE are nowhere to be found. And the promised replacements for them are also nowhere to be found.

As stated multiple times already this is in no way , shape or form a Indicator that the negotiations are over, or as you say "a done deal".

This information can be edited, redacted and backed up in seconds. Dish is just preparing for the worst, the last thing they want is people calling in in 2 months time citing the AMC take down and it being online in a line up chart as a way out of there contract.

My suggestion is, dont look for insignificant little changes to the website as an indicator that the negotiations are over. Hell if the channels taken down that doesnt mean much, as we've seen in the past they can still pop right back up.

For those of you considering leaving over this I suggest just waiting till the fat lady sings, instead of getting up and leaving when shes walking to the stage.
By the time this is over atleast your ETF will be a tad bit cheaper should the worst happen.

#171 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

In a way, I hope AMC does get dropped and takes a major financial hit. Then in a few months, they'll come crawling back, willing to accept pennies.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#172 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

This is the tactic that providers like Dish And DirecTV and cable outlets MUST adhere to if they are going to stem the tide of unreasonable price increases.

Stick to your guns and make and example of AMC - somebody's gotta go down!
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#173 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

Well, looks like I'll be staying with D*. And I was so close to switching to Dish. But with no Disney (little one loves Disney channels), no ESPNU and ESPN News, and now probably no AMC...it ain't happenin. Guess I will call D* and have them set me up with 2 more HD boxes and whole home DVR and get locked into another 2 year contract (sigh). Hopefully I can get them to set me up with an HR34 for a good price, as my HR23's are super slow.

Thanks for that info. Dish will be crushed. :D

#174 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

I think it's fair to say at least at this point Dish is more prone to these disputes. I would also say other providers are starting to make noise to do the same thing if needed. Most channels do return, as you point out not all or with Disney not in HD.
Putting all AMC into something like the platinum package is not a far fetched idea, here's the problem. Would AMC actually do that, and does Dish want to try and keep them by working things out.

#175 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

I dont watch AMC ,sundance ,ifc , I thought amc:eek2: was a movie channel but they got away from the theme that made them but now i dont care its greed plain and simple.

#176 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

AMC shows plenty of movies. Tonight they are showing 2 or 3 of the Die Hard movies. It shouldn't matter if you watch it, it was in your package and now you're losing it. Are you getting any money back? Just because they can do it doesn't mean they should. And who says AMC is asking for an unreasonable increase? They are one of the few channels that is actually coming up with new in house programming. Which by the way. quite a few people must like.

#177 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

i think they will reach a new deal

#178 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,499 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

AMC shows plenty of movies. Tonight they are showing 2 or 3 of the Die Hard movies. It shouldn't matter if you watch it, it was in your package and now you're losing it. Are you getting any money back? Just because they can do it doesn't mean they should. And who says AMC is asking for an unreasonable increase? They are one of the few channels that is actually coming up with new in house programming. Which by the way. quite a few people must like.

I watched Walking Dead... I also watched the Talking Dead afterwards. I know some watch Mad Men and the Killing.

I think maybe I watched a made-for-TV movie once or twice... but that's about it.

If there are 20 channels in a package tier and each of them want a 40 cent increase per channel... then you have an $8 increase every year for that tier. Worse for tiers like the basic tier that have more channels in them.

The problem with Dish is that cable and DirecTV haven't been as much in the fight as Dish has. IF all the providers would balk a little at the negotiating table, our prices might be lower than they are.

You gripe when your bill goes up... why shouldn't Dish gripe when theirs goes up?

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#179 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

If this happens, your bill isn't going up because of AMC, so while you may not be getting any money put back into your pocket, you aren't having anymore taken out of it, either.

Its not as if AMC is asking for the same price they got two years ago, and Dish decided to dump them so they could save money and not pass that savings onto you.

AMC is asking for more money that is ultimately going to come out of the customers pocket. Dish doesn't feel like they have enough customers who watch AMC to justify an unreasonable price increase for all their customers who don't, and the few that do, have alternatives, though not exactly very desirable (3 bucks per episode is insane), but at least the costs would be shouldered by the people who consume the content and not those who don't.

A la carte would achieve that too, but AMC isn't very likely to agree to it

As for unreasonable increase, that's up to each individual to decide based on how much they value AMC's content (though I'd argue that any price increase is unreasonable for people who don't watch the channels). But assuming this is even partly because of money and not solely about company egos, Dish determined the price increase was unreasonable for their business and majority of their customers.

Edited by Darcaine, 09 May 2012 - 08:06 PM.

#180 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

The Walking Dead, The Killing, Mad Men, Hell on Wheels, Breaking Bad...some of the best tv on tv right now....

I agree 100%.

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

spam firewall