Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1781 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

Faulty premise there, though... Dish didn't drop the channels. AMC pulled the feed when the contract was up.

Dish said AMC wanted too much, AMC said Dish refused to negotiate. We only have AMC's "word" that Dish refused to negotiate... but we know AMC pulled the feed at the end of the month.

According to a recently former Dish Network employee, now working at a competing cable company that happens to be my client, Dish Network broke off negotiations weeks before the channel went dark, and there have been no negotiations since then.

Take that for what's it worth...this guy volunteered the information as part of a conversation about how Dish drives hard bargains with content providers. He offered no reason why the negotiations were ended and I didn't ask. He simply said "Yeah, and if they don't budge, <negotiator's name> will just walk away...look at AMC..."

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1782 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

According to a recently former Dish Network employee, now working at a competing cable company that happens to be my client, Dish Network broke off negotiations weeks before the channel went dark, and there have been no negotiations since then.

That correlates with something I picked up from Bloomberg, that Dish fairly quickly said sorry, no deal, see ya and walked away and there were no discussions at all after that, weeks before the cut-off. Bloomberg's report stated that the AMC folks were stunned, said, OK, we understand hardball, let's talk, and Dish said sorry, talks are over, have a good life.

#1783 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

To be fair... that wouldn't entirely surprise me really... I know there is bad blood between the Charlies... so it probably wouldn't take much to get Dish to just walk away.

Having said that, though... I think it is patently dumb for AMC to be going around with the "Not on Dish" stuff everywhere. It's like a spoiled child who didn't get his way.

Either one of two things are going to happen:

1. AMC never comes back to Dish... ever... which means all the "not on Dish" stuff is just childish and a waste of money on AMC's part.

2. AMC does come back to Dish... but all the "Dish is evil, go to DirecTV, etc." stuff will backfire and factor into negotiations as Dish says "well, you wanted to cost us subscribers so what are YOU going to do to get those subscribers back for us? Nothing, you say? Well, so much much for your rate increase... we need that to offset lost revenue."

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#1784 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

... I know there is bad blood between the Charlies...

Yeah, the scars run deep on this "issue". Two chances of AMC coming back: 1-Fat, 2-Slim.

I can wait until Fall 2013 to watch TWD on BD or DVD. Got plenty of stuff on DVR's and BDs and DVDs to catch up on for now.

#1785 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

Take that for what's it worth...this guy volunteered the information as part of a conversation about how Dish drives hard bargains with content providers. He offered no reason why the negotiations were ended and I didn't ask. He simply said "Yeah, and if they don't budge, <negotiator's name> will just walk away...look at AMC..."

I know someone that wanted a better monthly rent payment price on one of his business locations. He stopped paying the rent. Eventually they came back and he ended up with a better price.

It isn't just Charlie.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#1786 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

Normally I would agree with that.(questioning the lack of negotiating) I do however think Dish in this case decided they were not going to carry AMC unless AMC agreed to things Dish knew they would not agree to. As an example only wanting AMC, not WE or Sundance etc...) And the remarks made by AMC that AMC wanted much more money from any carrier (though not all at once) gave Dish an opening. Take away the lawsuit and I feel AMC might still be carried.

I was loosely referring to that. Dish was negotiating, perhaps not fully in good faith with AMC. I happen to think the VOOM lawsuit is going to be lost by Dish, yet I understand exactly why Dish dropped them at that time. That said, Dish isn't going to reward Rainbow media/AMC with being carried on Dish.
But had AMC just stuck to the normal press releases channels in dispute put out, it might have been more possible to come to an agreement. Once the Roku was given out, that signaled to me AMC ain't coming back anytime soon. This is a time when I think Dish is also responsible for not having AMC, rather than normally they really are just trying to stave off increases in programming costs. Though that did play into it.

#1787 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

Yeah, AMC is bashing Dish, instead of attemptimg to resolve the situation.

Personally I'd rather have VOOM back than AMC Group.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#1788 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

That became obvious pretty early on. In a regular dispute, both parties would have started doing their media blasts with terms like "fair deal" and "only so many cents per subscriber a day", etc, etc..... That happens with virtually every other deal where the carrier and a media company are in a negotiation deadlock.

Not here. It was very clear from the beginning that Dish was "done". AMC had to change tactics, and started a campaign to make people switch from Dish.

Personally, I believe that Dish put a final offer on the table that probably was either the same, or LESS money they were paying before they lost AMC, and said: "take it or leave it, and if it is leave it... we're done".
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1789 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

I guess they needed room for the PAC12 channels.

Yes, the "Not on DISH" ads have gotten a little old; though, some of the time, DirecTV does try to cover those ads over with one of theirs.

#1790 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

That became obvious pretty early on. In a regular dispute, both parties would have started doing their media blasts with terms like "fair deal" and "only so many cents per subscriber a day", etc, etc..... That happens with virtually every other deal where the carrier and a media company are in a negotiation deadlock.

Not here. It was very clear from the beginning that Dish was "done". AMC had to change tactics, and started a campaign to make people switch from Dish.

Personally, I believe that Dish put a final offer on the table that probably was either the same, or LESS money they were paying before they lost AMC, and said: "take it or leave it, and if it is leave it... we're done".

I think DISH was a lot more interested when having AMC HD when DirecTV didn't was a competitive advantage they had. When it stopped being a competitive advantage because DirecTV added it in HD as well, DISH lost a lot of interest. Which is pretty rough for those DISH customers who joined DISH in part for that reason originally.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#1791 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

Yes...I still have a fantasy that MonstersHD and KungFuHD will come back some day. :sure:

#1792 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

Yes...I still have a fantasy that MonstersHD and KungFuHD will come back some day. :sure:

Given the way Voom was doing things back then, if those come back, most likely they would still be doing incessant reruns of exactly same movies they were showing then.

No thanks. Voom's day has come and gone.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#1793 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

I think DISH was a lot more interested when having AMC HD when DirecTV didn't was a competitive advantage they had. When it stopped being a competitive advantage because DirecTV added it in HD as well, DISH lost a lot of interest. Which is pretty rough for those DISH customers who joined DISH in part for that reason originally.

Which is why switching providers over one channel is a dumb idea. Carriage disputes are a fact of life for everyone.

#1794 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

That. Doesn't really work out... If they saw that as being a competitive advantage when they had the channel, then they would now see not having it as a competitive disadvantage, and they sure don't seem to right now, so I don't think that was at all behind any of that process. I think it was more a matter of doing what you can with what you have while you are stuck in a contract you no longer like, and sure wouldn't feel was worth it if it increased upon renewal.

#1795 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

It will be interesting to see if AMC will attempt to get back on Dish if they lose viewers for TWD this Sunday. It's one of our faves, so until we decide to switch to DTV, we'll wait for the Blu-ray, as our computer is at work.

Dish offered to put my account on "pause" for up to six months if I switched to DTV. That way I could still have access to my DVR content, so we are considering that. They also gave me quite a break on my monthly fee and the premium stations. As we have had AEP for eight years, it was cheaper than losing a customer, I guess. My montly bill was reduced substantially. Still rather have the zombies, though!!
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#1796 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

as our computer is at work.

Computers are cheap. In the $300 range for some model on sale. I've seen them for less if you want to go refurbed. I don't think there are too many households with satellite TV that don't have at least one PC.

For that matter, DVD players are under $100.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#1797 OFFLINE   paja

paja

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

Spot on Paul-MONSTERS HD, the best channel, ever!

#1798 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:34 AM

Computers are cheap. In the $300 range for some model on sale. I've seen them for less if you want to go refurbed. I don't think there are too many households with satellite TV that don't have at least one PC.

For that matter, DVD players are under $100.

DVD players are $19. Blu-ray players $79.

#1799 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Is this the thread to report the Voom trial updates? If so, the latest says that "New York Supreme Court Judge Richard Lowe III was visibly angry with Dish Network (Thursday), thumping his desk as he accused the company of disrespecting the court, according to an account of the VOOM case proceedings from Andrew Harms of advisory firm Washington Analysis." Read the whole summary from Deadline.com here: http://www.deadline....sh-network-amc/

Ditto. A pity that can never happen now.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#1800 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

I hope Dish can get Fearnet at some point. They have Sony Movie Channel already.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

Protected By... spam firewall...And...