Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1881 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,330 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

What is the best # to call regarding the Roku offer? I'm not too happy missing TWD, but the Roku would be a plus in streaming.

a number doesn't matter - all of them connecting to automated system;
get some like change packages, ask Retention Dept, try a couple times;
when will hear hard push "you'll need _qualifying_ package" [BS], stop conversation, don't waste your time

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1882 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

Dish, Cablevision set to settle Voom suit

Deal likely to include new carriage pact for AMC Networks

By Jill Goldsmith Thu., Oct. 18, 2012, 10:02am PT

Cablevision/AMC Networks and Dish Network are closing in on a settlement to their bitter legal fight over Voom, according to court documents filed Thursday. Shares of both companies soared on the news.
A deal wouldn't be a surprise after the judge adjourned court Wednesday until Monday, giving the parties days to hash out a deal. Notes in a court filing specified a "Poss. Settlement" in the case, with no details. In a down market, Dish shares advanced 4.75% to close at $35.74. AMC was up nearly 4% at $45.27.

Susquehanna Research legal analyst Thomas Claps said that means the companies have gone to New York State Supreme Court Judge Richard Lowe to indicate that they are either close to an agreement or have a deal in principle but need to work out the details. Wall Street applauded the news of a pending settlement.

Lowe has been tough on Dish, which was sanctioned over the summer for destroying evidence. AMC's "The Walking Deal" pulled in massive ratings for its season-three premiere.

A settlement is expected to include a carriage deal for AMC Networks channels (which were previously owned by Cablevision) and a cash component, which will be split between AMC and former parent Cablevision. They had asked for $2.4 billion in damages, but observers say it's unlikely a settlement award would be that high.

EDIT
More at variety.com

James thanks for catching this it was late ...my apologies on posting entire story

Edited by rtd2, 19 October 2012 - 05:10 PM.
Trimmed to avoid copyright infringement

#1883 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,665 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:10 AM

It's lame to present they action that way for inexperience in IT rules ppl here ...

Agreed ... Are you speaking authoritatively about the rules DISH decided to set on their email servers? Email storage policy is set by each company. The last company I worked for stored nothing on the server (after the user deleted it). Deleted meant gone and for those with POP3 setup instead of IMAP messages were gone from the server when the client computer read them. The current company I work for keeps everything for several years on a special server. The main server auto deletes after 60 days but the messages are available on the archive server.

Each server has long shelf with historical backups outside the company. That's the rule ! Especially if are talking about mail server. You'll need (as the server admin) take a lot work to destroy all those backups. I'm not telling who could give you such order.

Who's rule? Federal law? As stated, the last company I worked for had ZERO backup of deleted emails. Perhaps they should of, but the company president didn't want to pay for the storage space. He was the who at that company and he wasn't intending to cover up crimes by not archiving --- he was just saving money.

It seems to me that the deleted emails was internal Dish correspondence and not emails between Voom and Dish. Otherwise it doesn't make sense.

I believe so. Voom can present their copies of emails between the companies ... what they wanted were internal emails. The type of emails that have hung other companies when they were published.

#1884 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:42 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sarbanes-Oxley must be adhered to if the company is publicly traded? That means that there are record retention requirements which include business-related E-mail. In the case of E-mail it is generally up to the recipient to decide what to keep. Corporations have regular classes that teach employees what they need to retain. I know I've gone through several for my employer. So, there is no excuse other than covering ones tracks. As a person who worked for WorldComm during the Bernie Ebbers fiasco, since then I have had to take too many of these courses. I suspect Dish employees will have to or have done the same.

In the end, this just smacks of stupidity and corporate ego. Now that the cookie jar has been closed, I sure hope we get AMC back as part of the deal. If not, my threat stands. :)

Scott
--
Fly RC Helicopters!
Team ALeeS RC

#1885 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

What is the best # to call regarding the Roku offer? I'm not too happy missing TWD, but the Roku would be a plus in streaming.

#: 1-888-873-5765 (Special Retention Team)

http://slickdeals.ne...annel-Loss-YMMV

I'm a new customer about 3 weeks in and it worked for me.. Call in before Monday, looks like AMC will be restored.. Ask for the ROKU and the Credits to stream..

#1886 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

What's the chances if/when we get AMC back that it will be in SD? :(

#1887 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

What's the chances if/when we get AMC back that it will be in SD? :(

Oh that will suck if they only bring back the SD feed.

#1888 OFFLINE   PBowie

PBowie

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:43 AM

AND IF they do Journalling, they should have copies anyway !

#1889 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

That report of a settlement is being somewhat debunked or at the least being examined a little closer. The reporting of it is based on Judicial paperwork being filled out by the Clerk. There are a series of inputs as to when the next court date is. The Clerk filled every answer with "Information updated" including for possible settlement. Could be a mistake, could be the update is no settlement. Someone jumped on it taking as there is a settlement being worked on.
(Credit to riffjim4069 for some of this info)

The latest is nothing at all has been filed nor is there anything else indicating a settlement. Guess we will know come Monday.

Edited by tampa8, 19 October 2012 - 09:10 AM.

#1890 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,527 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

That report of a settlement is being somewhat debunked or at the least being examined a little closer. The reporting of it is based on Judicial paperwork being filled out by the Clerk. There are a series of inputs as to when the next court date is. The Clerk filled every answer with "Information updated" including for possible settlement. Could be a mistake, could be the update is no settlement. Someone jumped on it taking as there is a settlement being worked on.

The latest is nothing at all has been filed nor is there anything else indicating a settlement. Guess we will know come Monday.

Dish will settle because they're toast in the case. They'll save some money by settling.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1891 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

The following article states that the "settlement" wording has been removed from the schedule. http://www.chicagotr...0,3782373.story

Let's hope a settlement can still happen. It seems the most likely scenario.

Edited by joyandjerry, 19 October 2012 - 09:22 AM.
typo

JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#1892 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,330 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sarbanes-Oxley must be adhered to if the company is publicly traded? That means that there are record retention requirements which include business-related E-mail. In the case of E-mail it is generally up to the recipient to decide what to keep. Corporations have regular classes that teach employees what they need to retain. I know I've gone through several for my employer. So, there is no excuse other than covering ones tracks. As a person who worked for WorldComm during the Bernie Ebbers fiasco, since then I have had to take too many of these courses. I suspect Dish employees will have to or have done the same.

In the end, this just smacks of stupidity and corporate ego. Now that the cookie jar has been closed, I sure hope we get AMC back as part of the deal. If not, my threat stands. :)

Scott

That's right, Scott (I forgot the name after many years off IT duties).

I did work for a couple big companies (bigger then dish) and the SOX act was an ax for all server admins when something happen with night backup ... Iron Mountain served offsite processing of backups ...

#1893 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

Dish will settle because they're toast in the case. They'll save some money by settling.

Yeah, I'm sure the lawyers for Dish are telling Charlie, dude, we need to settle or we are going to get killed by the jury. Heck, they might even get a directed verdict based on what we've seen.

The only thing I can imagine stopping a settlement would be Charlie's ego/pride.

#1894 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 878 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

The following article states that the "settlement" wording has been removed from the schedule. http://www.chicagotr...0,3782373.story

Let's hope a settlement can still happen. It seems the most likely scenario.

Huh...this settlement leak is as much of a mistake as the Google report being prematurely released...by mistake....Google tanked 9%.:lol:
Look for a deal, soon.

Edited by 356B, 19 October 2012 - 04:30 PM.
terrible proofer

Thank you and
Best of luck

#1895 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

Cool, drives me crazy to see someone get sold a $35 HDMI cable in Best Buy.

Back to topic: It would be really nice, if they reach a settlement this weekend, to see an announcement by both sides saying something like "We're very happy to announce an agreement that both brings the AMC channels back to Dish and also allows us to give our customers the best value in satellite TV" etc. I.e. a mature, professional announcement with neither side trying to make the other look bad.

OTOH, nothing I've seen to date leads me to expect that. :nono2:

Nice wording on the "pending" announcement! Let's hope that both parties want to start actually looking good.

Off topic (didn't there used to be an icon for this?), it amazes me that people pay high prices for Monster cables and the like. Monoprice and bluejean cable always gave me great quality with pricing to match.
JOY

#1896 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

Yeah, I'm sure the lawyers for Dish are telling Charlie, dude, we need to settle or we are going to get killed by the jury. Heck, they might even get a directed verdict based on what we've seen.

The only thing I can imagine stopping a settlement would be Charlie's ego/pride.

Well when and if AMC come back on Dish Ii'll still won't watch it because they chop the movies up, IFC has junk.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#1897 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

If [ big if] AMC returns, what do they have New to offer? Breaking bad is almost done, and I understand madmen is also going away?

TWD [ I never followed] and HOW the only 2 left,correct?

All this hoopla, and what's the upside?

Surely this will mean a price hike.:(

[ of course if the hoppa could edit AMC commercials, maybe not so bad]

#1898 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 878 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

Of course there will be a price hike, and the majority will pay, or have been paying all along....it's built in...granted a few who knew the deal got minor compensations but most did not.
Dish and AMC are not in business to lose money, yet every successful business or business man I've ever known is always just making it or going broke....:D
Thank you and
Best of luck

#1899 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

AMC also has Mad Men, and we like the indy movies on IFC. Also, AMC may have other quality TV series down the pike, as others have been so successful.

On a news site (I think it was Bloomberg), it was reported that AMC would lose approx $100M yearly in ad revenue with the loss of Dish.
JOY

#1900 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

It wouldn't bother me a bit if AMC stayed off Dish for ever.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

spam firewall