Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1901 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

I'm sure that it would not bother some a tiny bit if shows that you do like were taken off the air. The same can be said for just about anybody and any show.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1902 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

lol AMC.

http://www.facebook....127982427350496

The Walking Dead Season 3 Premiere is now free online for a limited time. DISH subscribers: Switch TV providers to see the rest of the season on AMC.

#1903 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

If [ big if] AMC returns, what do they have New to offer? Breaking bad is almost done, and I understand madmen is also going away?

TWD [ I never followed] and HOW the only 2 left,correct?

All this hoopla, and what's the upside?

Surely this will mean a price hike.:(

[ of course if the hoppa could edit AMC commercials, maybe not so bad]

Just like every other successful channel with original content, AMC is in the process of developing new shows to replace the old, and going by their track record, they will be both emmy contenders and ratings bonanzas.

What did HBO have after Sopranos and The Wire ended? Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and True Blood.

#1904 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

Just like every other successful channel with original content, AMC is in the process of developing new shows to replace the old, and going by their track record, they will be both emmy contenders and ratings bonanzas.

What did HBO have after Sopranos and The Wire ended? Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and True Blood.

Well, since I don't get AMC, I haven't seen any ads for new series. So I'll try google, cause most stations love to push "upcoming" new series, or specials,or mini series, ect.. , even if it doesn't start until next year.

FX is one that comes to mind, TNT another.

HBO had some great series, but I'm not sure if AMC is in the same catagory.:)

Only thing I could find was a article dated last July about "area 51". It looks to be rather interesting, but cannot find much about it. According to article it is suppose to follow the ending of breaking bad.

http://www.nypost.co...QBkypL1Hq6wpGLI

Edited by satcrazy, 19 October 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#1905 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,282 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

The following article states that the "settlement" wording has been removed from the schedule. http://www.chicagotr...0,3782373.story

Let's hope a settlement can still happen. It seems the most likely scenario.

I get the email updates from the court ... the court initially reported the possible settlement in an email sent at 11:16am with the current day's outcome (17th) listed as "On Trial". The update came 3:26pm when the court "Trial Ready Case Adjourned" and modified Monday to be "9:30 A.M. ADJ. FOR BRIEFING" instead of "9:30 AM POSS. SETTLEMENT".

The future appearances section is rare ... and the next thing for the court is a briefing, not continuing the trial, so there should still be hope.

I don't believe the court's statement of "possible settlement" was an error.

#1906 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

And what did HBO have in between these hit shows?

Movies without commercial interruption, and marathons of there hit shows.

What does AMC have in between seasons of there hits shows? 2 hour movies extended to 3 hours, and no sign what so ever of any re-runs of there hit shows :)

#1907 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,713 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

I would like to see that outcome of trial, when new company with [old] name VOOM would serve us; my old VOOM receiver would be functional again and they will send PCMCIA card with MPEG-4/VC-1 decoders ...

#1908 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

And what did HBO have in between these hit shows?

Movies without commercial interruption, and marathons of there hit shows.

What does AMC have in between seasons of there hits shows? 2 hour movies extended to 3 hours, and no sign what so ever of any re-runs of there hit shows :)

They have a couple new series in the works with one coming out next year called Thief of Thieves. It was written by the same guy that did TWD. The books have great reviews and from the people I have talked to said it was good. Every show they have come out with lately has been some of the best series on cable. I just read a article I think on Variety that thinks TWD could end up being the highest rated show/series on TV including even the major networks. This would be unheard of and never even gotten close before until TWD.

#1909 OFFLINE   otnipj3s

otnipj3s

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

If a deal is to include new carriage agreement for AMC Networks and Dish, I wonder if they will throw us a bone and give us IFC HD now ?

#1910 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

They have a couple new series in the works with one coming out next year called Thief of Thieves. It was written by the same guy that did TWD. The books have great reviews and from the people I have talked to said it was good. Every show they have come out with lately has been some of the best series on cable. I just read a article I think on Variety that thinks TWD could end up being the highest rated show/series on TV including even the major networks. This would be unheard of and never even gotten close before until TWD.

Ummm

Is this animated? If it is, it already lost my interest. I grew up on cartoons and prefer adult entertainment now:grin:

Really much cheaper to produce, though, than the real deal.

#1911 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Ummm

Is this animated? If it is, it already lost my interest. I grew up on cartoons and prefer adult entertainment now:grin:

Really much cheaper to produce, though, than the real deal.

No, it isn't animated. I know it is written by the same person that did TWD and I think it is done with the same guys that created TWD with real people.

#1912 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Im aware of that but you kind of missed my point lol.

The point is that AMC has some good shows, and absolute junk the other 23 hours of the day.
They RARELY re-run episodes and marathons after the seasons run to. So all you have to watch the majority of the year is movies that are far much longer then they should be.

Darcaine compared AMC to HBO, i just pointed out the faults in that comparison by pointing out that HBO actually shows movie without commercials all year long and has re-runs of the hits too.

#1913 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,449 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

One of the things that bugged me all the way back to Voom days...

Voom had an Indy film HD channel... They had IFC... I always thought they should have turned that Indy film channel into IFC HD... but they didn't. They let that Voom channel die... and then launched IFC HD (which Dish never carried) and somehow all the content they used to air on Voom that would have fit on IFC HD... somehow that content went poof.

Rainbow, and now AMC, seems to do some screwy things.

Same thing with their Voom lineup to Dish of 15 or so channels... and they were trying to sell only a couple of them internationally and a suite of 5 of the best of them to DirecTV. IF they had pared down to a suite of 5 HD channels to Dish back in the day, they would still have been on Dish all this time.

Instead, they watered down their content... kind of like how they are doing it today.

Arguably they have some great original programming on AMC... but then they fill the rest of the schedule with stuff that even their biggest fans don't care about.

AMC isn't alone in this, mind you... a lot of channels have done some questionable things (I'm looking at YOU Syfy channel!)... but it is worth pointing out.

In a perfect world... I too would like to see some of the lost Voom content come back... but that has ALWAYS been in AMC/Rainbow's power... but they don't seem to want to do it.

They could have really made a nice HD niche suite of channels, and they were ahead of the curve in HD... and then they just stopped trying.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#1914 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

The point is that AMC has some good shows, and absolute junk the other 23 hours of the day.
They RARELY re-run episodes and marathons after the seasons run to. So all you have to watch the majority of the year is movies that are far much longer then they should be.

Darcaine compared AMC to HBO, i just pointed out the faults in that comparison by pointing out that HBO actually shows movie without commercials all year long and has re-runs of the hits too.

You can't compare HBO to any regular cable channel. HBO cost up to $20 per month depending on the provider. AMC does run marathons of their shows like TWD etc. They have had at least a 2-3 marathons(maybe more) of TWD since the last season. They also rerun all their original shows more then once. I know they run TWD, Breaking Bad like 3 times the first night at least a few more times through the week. The marathons were of both the prior seasons and they usually add some special things like running the first episode in a black and white version and adding pop up info that explain some interesting stuff. I like at least 3-4 of there original shows and that is by far more then on any other channel even including major networks. I do agree that I don't watch very many of their movies but I don't watch very many movies on any of my channels. I do agree that I liked AMC when they first started and showed classic movies without ads and with a intro from a live person. I wish they did that plus add their original series but IMHO their original series are some of the best on TV. Only some of the HBO and a couple of the Showtime series are equal with AMC IMO.

Edited by donm, 19 October 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#1915 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

I wasnt comparing AMC with HBO, I was using HBO as an example of a channel that produces emmy award winning content and when that content ends, they produce new emmy award winning content. What they do with the rest of their schedule is irrelevant. My point was that just because Breaking Bad and Mad Men are ending next year doesn't mean AMC won't be producing new quality shows to take their place.

You can replace HBO with USA, TNT, Syfy etc and the point remains the same, except their shows aren't nearly as critically acclaimed as HBO and AMC.

Besides, for some of us, quality trumpts quantity. I would rather have 3 excellent shows a year from AMC than 10 mediocre ones from USA networks or Syfy with tons of reruns.

#1916 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

You can't compare HBO to any regular cable channel. HBO cost up to $20 per month depending on the provider. AMC does run marathons of their shows like TWD etc. They have had at least a 2-3 marathons(maybe more) of TWD since the last season. They also rerun all their original shows more then once. I know they run TWD, Breaking Bad like 3 times the first night at least a few more times through the week. The marathons were of both the prior seasons and they usually add some special things like running the first episode in a black and white version and adding pop up info that explain some interesting stuff. I like at least 3-4 of there original shows and that is by far more then on any other channel even including major networks. I do agree that I don't watch very many of their movies but I don't watch very many movies on any of my channels. I do agree that I liked AMC when they first started and showed classic movies without ads and with a intro from a live person. I wish they did that plus add their original series but IMHO their original series are some of the best on TV. Only some of the HBO and a couple of the Showtime series are equal with AMC IMO.

well, thanks. It's good to know that new show isn't going to be animated.

I think what INK was trying to get across was that the reruns of MM or BB, ect. could be "marathoned" in their off-season. [ instead of repeat movies that are barely worth watching because of the endless commercials]

If I remember correctly, they would "marathoned" right before the new season started, which is pretty common practice now, like running the same episode 3 times in one night. I think it would be pretty cool to run the entire season during downtime [ consecutivley], so if anyone missed a part they could catch up [ not everyone has a dvr]

I don't think anyone has issue with quality of the series AMC provides, I followed 3 of them myself.

Your right, can't compare HBO, because it has 8 channels of commercial free programming. Not cheap, but, you get what you pay for.:)

#1917 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:26 AM

Well, these shows were once Emmy magnets, however, they are far from ratings bonanzas, which has been Dish’s contention all along. The parent company wanting more money for a Network that very few folks watch. Mad Men and Breaking Bad's brilliance have waned this year, as there was only a single Emmy win between them. Considering both are on their last legs and one was off the air for 18 months between new episodes this is understandable.

While, the shows that are mentioned do bring AMC the biggest ratings numbers for the Network. They draw much lower than many contemporary Networks. These programs are routinely beaten by reruns of shows like The Big Bang Theory or NCIS and this past year Mad Men even found itself behind or tied many nights with The Mythbusters.

AMC found a very few shows that the critics raved about and then some of the public tuned in to see, but AMC also has had its share of flops too, anyone remember Rubicon or The Lot? What’s more, the Network did not look at a single pilot in 2011 and only has three in various stages of development currently.

No, I certainly do not blame Dish for taking on the parent company in Rainbow’s delusional contention that AMC is the equal of USA, FX, TBS or TNT. Very simply it is not and each of those networks have bigger audiences and just as many quality shows.

#1918 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 543 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

Dish vs. Cablevision court filing hints at a settlement, could lead to AMC's return

http://www.engadget....t-incoming-amc/

But what about what we've missed? Hell on Wheels.

Edited by FarmerBob, 20 October 2012 - 04:31 PM.
Fixing the link that gets broken when posted. Can't guarantee it'll work.

#1919 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:23 AM

INTERSTING !!! There is NO longer any "AMC NOT ON DISH" material on AMC's website or Facebook Page! I cant access the keepamcnetworks website either? Good sign???

#1920 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

INTERSTING !!! There is NO longer any "AMC NOT ON DISH" material on AMC's website or Facebook Page! I cant access the keepamcnetworks website either? Good sign???

good sign

spam firewall