Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish ordering process

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nolow

nolow

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

How does the Dish Network ordering process work? I tried asking questions pertaining to the install, but the customer service rep couldn't give me an answer. I want to switch from cable to Dish, but I have a few questions before proceeding. One of my main concerns is the satellite placement. I have trees surround my house, so I would like to know where they are going to mount it. Also, I would prefer to install the cables myself or tell them where I would like them to run the wires. I saw how they ran the wires for my friends house and do not want a similar install.

After placing an order with Dish, do they send a person to do a preliminary check of your house first or do they just send the installers out? Also, when are you locked into the contract? Does the installing company bring the paperwork with them?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

Hi, and welcome to DBSTalk...

They aren't going to be able to tell you much of anything about "where" until someone actually comes out and takes a look to see if/where they can get good line of sight.

If the installer comes out and doesn't think he can get signal, then he won't do any work and you won't be in a contract for anything. It's bad, but at least doesn't cost you any money.

I've never had to have them run wires (homes have been pre-wired) so I don't know how that process works. It might depend on how complicated it is (length and ease of access) as to how much they will do your way.

If you are pleasant and reasonable AND if you get a pleasant and reasonable Tech, then I would expect some flexibility as long as you aren't costing him extra work and equipment that he won't get reimbursed for as part of the install.

Sometimes you will get installers who will do extra/custom work for a fee... but again that can't be determined until he gets there and sees what it is going to take.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

You could try dishpointer.com as well to get an idea of places it could go. If you can't get LoS based on the Eastern ARC you could take a look at DIRECTV as they use different orbital locations. That site has both on there to check.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...