Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MAME Arcade Cabinet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:38 PM

Here's a link to the MAME machines I've built so far:
http://web.thewavz.com/buzz/

I put the Toshiba TV you linked in my last creation and I really like that set. It's about the narrowest 27" TV I could find and still has auto power. Most TV's are moving the speakers to the side of the screen, making them too wide for cabinet sizes I like. It even power's up to the last state. A key feature since you will want it to turn on right into the video 1 input setting.

SUPER impressive stuff!!!!!!!!!!

What did you do to mount the trackball without a mounting plate? I ordered the 3" Happ solid white, but also got the mounting kit. Yours looks so clean (#2).

Wish you could help me on this one..........
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

Windows Home Server, 2 TB storage, Gigabit LAN

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:41 PM

What is MameAnalog+ ?

Scott? Asterorids never used a trackball. Are you perhaps thinking of Missle command?

Whoops yes Missle Command. :)

Sorry about that!

#23 OFFLINE   buzzdalf

buzzdalf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 04:10 PM

What did you do to mount the trackball without a mounting plate? I ordered the 3" Happ solid white, but also got the mounting kit. Yours looks so clean (#2).

Wish you could help me on this one..........

The trackball is mounted from the underside with a custom built frame. I used a router to remove the control panel material leaving only the 3/16" or whatever for the flange on the trackball with a 3" hole cut using a hole saw for the ball itself to come through.

I tried to attach some pic's that may help:

Attached Thumbnails

• ec control panel 2.jpg
  • ec unwired controls.jpg

#24 OFFLINE   Jack White

Jack White

Icon

• Registered
  • 611 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 05:00 PM

Good to hear the Toshiba feedback. I just need to find a cheap one now.

I want to go w/SVideo as I've heard composite is way too fuzzy. As for the broadcast monitor, it would be nice if it had sVideo and the auto power on feature, but I don't see it....

I have a new Visio for my Control Panel with Happ Controls stencils (and the Oscar spinner) that are close enough to spec. Should I post it? Around 650K.

I made some new adjustments.

I agree that a pro broadcast RGB monitor is probably the wrong choice for you.
That being said, there are RGB monitors out there that do have all kinds of inputs,(VGA, Analog RGB, Component, S-Video, and Composite Video).
New Pro RGB monitors(especially large ones) usually cost several thousand dollars at least.
Unfortunatley only used ones are in most people's price range.
BTW check out this beautiful Sony RGB monitor for example, it has S-video in and it even has an input to hook up your computer DIRECTLY to the monitor, all you have to do is set the resolution to VGA, and set the refresh rate to 60hz.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...&category=21517
I've attached a few pics below.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sony_RGB_Monitor_Front.jpg
  • Sony_RGB_Monitor_Back.jpg

#25 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:18 PM

Have you seen this control panel? I think its the one I'm going to try and duplicate. The only thing its missing is a wheel or flight yoke, and I've seen other machines that have detachable wheels that I might try and use as well for a complete system.

#26 OFFLINE   buzzdalf

buzzdalf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 05:48 AM

The main issue I have with that control panel is the lack of front to back spacing for the trackball. A lot of people like to use their hands to move the ball, not just their thumbs and that will be pretty hard to do there.

#27 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 09:00 AM

I also think the upper level panel may be awkward.

Buzz, excellent pics of the control panel. Impressive job! How was the wiring project? Which interface did you use?
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

#28 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 09:02 AM

I agree that a pro broadcast RGB monitor is probably the wrong choice for you.
That being said, there are RGB monitors out there that do have all kinds of inputs,(VGA, Analog RGB, Component, S-Video, and Composite Video).
New Pro RGB monitors(especially large ones) usually cost several thousand dollars at least.
Unfortunatley only used ones are in most people's price range.
BTW check out this beautiful Sony RGB monitor for example, it has S-video in and it even has an input to hook up your computer DIRECTLY to the monitor, all you have to do is set the resolution to VGA, and set the refresh rate to 60hz.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...&category=21517
I've attached a few pics below.

Jack, for 1/2 that price, I can get a new 27" TV that will have more of an arcade feel. I'm trying to avoid going the VGA-like monitor route but not spend the $$$ on a true arcade monitor like the Wells-Gardner jammy.

#29 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 09:52 AM

The main issue I have with that control panel is the lack of front to back spacing for the trackball. A lot of people like to use their hands to move the ball, not just their thumbs and that will be pretty hard to do there.

Agreed on that point. I plan to widen it a bit to 48 inches (this version is only 37), and make the top shelf be more of a ledge allowing a bit more vertical room.

As for the upper level being awkward, I don't think so. I usually stand away from arcade machines, so when playing the upper deck I'd just be leaning against the lower controls but not overextending.

To each their own though!

It would be really cool to build a rotating panel simular to this one and clear out unwanted controls, but I do want my 4 player option. Now perhaps if I could figure out a way to have the 3rd and 4th player areas fold out for those games...

--

Just curious cnsf, but do you plan on removing the case from the TV, or mount it with the case still on? For me the biggest challenge will be mounting the monitor properly. I'd love to add a rotation feature. Barring that I might consider have some masking panels that can be pulled down along the sides for vertical games.

#30 OFFLINE   buzzdalf

buzzdalf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 12:43 PM

Danny - I totally agree with the rotating control panel idea, but have not come up with a good way to do it my projects yet.

cnsf - The wiring took me about 3-4 hours for each of them. I'm slightly fortunate in that I can borrow crimpers from work, so that helps. I've used an IPAC on every project so far. I have a keywhiz sitting in the pile of spares, but haven't installed it in anything yet.
For the trackball interfaces, I used Oscar's USB mouse interface (found at www.oscarcontrols.com) for the trackball only setup. In my latest I used a spinner and a trackball, so I went with an Optipac. I think I could have gotten away with 2 USB mouse interfaces, though and saved some money.

#31 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:34 PM

[i]Just curious cnsf, but do you plan on removing the case from the TV, or mount it with the case still on? For me the biggest challenge will be mounting the monitor properly. I'd love to add a rotation feature. Barring that I might consider have some masking panels that can be pulled down along the sides for vertical games.

I plan on leaving the TV intact in case I ever want to replace it and reuse it. I plan on installing decent cooling. Probably two fans in front, one in back and one on top.

I don't think the rotation feature is necessary as long as the monitor/TV is big enough.

#32 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:37 PM

cnsf - The wiring took me about 3-4 hours for each of them. I'm slightly fortunate in that I can borrow crimpers from work, so that helps. I've used an IPAC on every project so far. I have a keywhiz sitting in the pile of spares, but haven't installed it in anything yet.
For the trackball interfaces, I used Oscar's USB mouse interface (found at www.oscarcontrols.com) for the trackball only setup. In my latest I used a spinner and a trackball, so I went with an Optipac. I think I could have gotten away with 2 USB mouse interfaces, though and saved some money.

I got the Vortex spinner, but will hook it to the optipac along with the Happ 3" trackball.

I now need to buy a router, sander, sawhorse/table and mitre saw. Any suggestions for the limited user? This'll be the only project they'll see most likely.

#33 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:36 PM

sawhorse/table

Sawhorses are extremely easy to build. I'd build one yourself first since you describe yourself as a "limited user". It will give you the practice you need before jumping into the more demanding cutting needed for the cabinet.

--

I was at Best Buy looking at the Toshiba TV. JVC also has a simualar model out with the same features and same price. One thing I didn't realize are that both had component inputs. The video card I was planning on using has a component adaptor I can get. Is it worth the effort to go this route or will s-video be sufficient?

--

In other news, I'm going to have to rethink my control panel again. I totally forgot about Rampart. Three player game using trackballs is a must as well. ;)

#34 OFFLINE   buzzdalf

buzzdalf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:51 AM

I've never hooked up the component on this set, but I think the general consensus over at arcadecontrols is s-video works fine for true arcade games, component would be better for PC games and overkill for arcade games as arcade machines didn't have PC grade monitors.
Here's a link to a lengthy thread on the subject:
http://www.arcadecon...id=4531;start=0

#35 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 09:16 PM

I've never hooked up the component on this set, but I think the general consensus over at arcadecontrols is s-video works fine for true arcade games, component would be better for PC games and overkill for arcade games as arcade machines didn't have PC grade monitors.
Here's a link to a lengthy thread on the subject:
http://www.arcadecon...id=4531;start=0

Agreed from what I read. S-Video is the best compromise to get an arcade feel, but enough resolution to work on the computer. Stay away from component.

Also, what video card has a component video out? I haven't seen one before. Just DVI.

#36 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 02:40 PM

ATI sells a "DVI-Component" adaptor thats usable on the 8500 and a few other cards they sell. I've had one in my closet for months now that I originally planned on using for my computer connected to my HDTV, but I used the RGBHV input instead.

The link buzzdalf posted has the details on it.

As for staying away from component, from what I read in that link it appears that it is a big improvement for colors and sharpness and not necessarily something to stay away from so I think I'll give it a whirl and compare the two. However you have to be familiary with Powerstrip to really make use of it. If you like the fuzzy feel of the old games S-video is fine, but I personally don't really like the scanline look myself and the colors with component are supposed to be better.

---

On another front, have you decided if you are going to put in a front-end for running the games? After looking at a bunch of options, I think I've decided on AdvanceMenu or UltraMame (I'd prefer something of a mix between the two actually).

Something that doesn't look like a windows interface is my number one consideration. Something that doesn't just have a file list is second. The ability to list favorites would also be nice, as would be the ability to start up other programs and emulators (such as a jukebox program, Daphne, etc).

#37 OFFLINE   buzzdalf

buzzdalf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 04:27 PM

I run MAMEWah.
http://mamewah.mameworld.net/

Have you taken a look at that one yet?
It gives you a lot of the benefits of AdvanceMenu but runs good in Windows.

#38 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 01:07 PM

I run MAMEWah.
http://mamewah.mameworld.net/

Have you taken a look at that one yet?
It gives you a lot of the benefits of AdvanceMenu but runs good in Windows.

Yup, I like that one as well, although I'd prefer to be able to substitute the file list with perhaps a marquee list or something more graphical.

However it still seems a bit under developement, and the last question in their FAQ is troublesome about not being able to use command line options when launching other emulators.

#39 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 06:30 PM

Ok, my WAF is near zero for an upright cabinet. She doesn't mind a table-top style console such as was found in bars, but those just don't have enough room for the controls I really want. So I'm taking a totally new route, that satifies my wife, and gives me a MAME station, but also creates a great new entertainment center for other games:

We do need a new dining room table. Thus, taking a clue from buzzdalf's transformer cabinent, I'm going to build myself "The Round Table".

Picture a standard 54" circular table. It has paneling dropping down about 4" along the outer border. The support is a central pillar, about 2' wide at the bottom, but increasing to about 3' just below the table support, with some sort of ornamental legging along the bottom on four points for stability.

The table top isn't perfectly smooth, but is made up of panels. That doesn't really matter for normal use, as we usually have a table cloth. Besides, most dining room tables have lines on them anyway where expansion inserts can be placed, etc, so we are ok so far.

The central portion is a large 3' circular panel. Along 8 points around the edge are several 1.25' x 6" rectangular panels.

The central circular panel lifts out. On the other side is a recess that holds a green felt poker surface. Under this felt panel are other thin panels having other gaming surfaces, such as chess, Risk, backgammon, etc. printed on them.

Under the central panel on the main table is a glass surface. This looks down into the center of the table where the TV for the mame cabinent is located.

Anyway, the 8 panels along the outside of the circular table are triangular rotating panels. One side is the normal dining room table. The other an arcade control for one player, and the final side a poker chip and cup holder. I expect to be able to have a steel sliding bar you can get to from underneath the table that you can pull in and out to keep the rotating panels stationary in each position. All of these controls should be obscured by the border of the table, but if you climb underneath you will have access to the locking bolts between each of the panels. Dowels will keep the panels from rotating all the way around and binding up the wires.

The TV inside rotates around... a switch I read about keeps it from going a full circle as well where the wires will bind. This allows the monitor to turn so any station is centered... or for two player games it can be positioned between the stations, etc.

With 8 stations around the table, I can easily have almost every control I need available without crowding up anything. Controls like a steering wheel still aren't easily added, but I'm thinking one of the stations will just come out, allowing you to insert a steering wheel mounted on a block of wood that fits inside the panel and can be locked in. This wheel might be storable inside the table's column, etc.

A retractable power cord keeps it neat when power isn't needed and prevents people from tripping over it.

Pretty ambitious, and I'm in the middle of drafting plans now. Thus far it looks feasible, although an extremely difficult project. I'll post my plans when finished, and later this year pics as I start building.

#40 OFFLINE   buzzdalf

buzzdalf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 06:46 PM

Holy wow, This sounds pretty ambitious indeed :) And expensive!
Make sure you keep us posted with plans, photos, etc.

I like your thinking ;)

spam firewall