Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sub channels on DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

I've had DirecTV for years. But a issue caused me to have to leave for a bit. So I went to Charter. I noticed that Charter carries the local sub-channels that DirecTV doesn't offer. I always wondered why they dont offer the sub channels. Is it lack of bandwidth? Or maybe they are not popular? Wondered if anyone that has DirecTV gets their local sub channels? Thanks
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

Savannah mmetro here. Never watched a sub channel in my life, DTV doesn't carry them.

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

To get your local sub-channels, you need to use an OTA setup with satellite. Providing all the locals in each DMA is tough enough, providing all the subchannels would be 10x harder on bandwidth. Plus the fact that 70% is niche crap and not considered very popular channels as you suspected. Your local cable company only needs bandwidth for your locals, a national provider needs bandwidth for everyone's locals.

#4 OFFLINE   yall2

yall2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

I use over the air antenna for sub and all local channels. I think the quality is better than DTV gives them anyway. One good thing is that the Guide does give them and I can record them on my H24 or H20 DVRs.

#5 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

I'm 75 miles from the local source. So OTA is out of the picture. I guess you all are right. Its niche material. Since each area of the cable co is locally provided then the channels can be different for each area. But D* has a unified national feed for everyone. I get it now thanks.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#6 OFFLINE   Yes616

Yes616

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

I'm 75 miles from the local source. So OTA is out of the picture. I guess you all are right. Its niche material. Since each area of the cable co is locally provided then the channels can be different for each area. But D* has a unified national feed for everyone. I get it now thanks.

75 miles is not out of the question unless you are down in a valley. I am picking up OTA locals at 75 miles out using the AM-21. The sub-channels are not so niche either. I am having a good old time with MeTV and Antenna TV.

#7 OFFLINE   N9QZD

N9QZD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

I cannot receive one of my local sub channels (MeTV) with the AM21. I was told it's because directv did not have an agreement with the program provider. I thought that was dumb.

#8 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,716 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

When I talked to the D* engineering dept 2 years ago about subchannels, I was told that D* planned to add no new subchannels to their Guide data that the OTA [ATSC] tuners (like the AM21) uses. In other words, we are out of luck. We can only view these subchannels on the TV's own ATSC tuner.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#9 OFFLINE   N9QZD

N9QZD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

When I talked to the D* engineering dept 2 years ago about subchannels, I was told that D* planned to add no new subchannels to their Guide data that the OTA [ATSC] tuners (like the AM21) uses. In other words, we are out of luck. We can only view these subchannels on the TV's own ATSC tuner.

I'm thinking about a Tivo unit with my antenna and transition away from pay tv altogether. Honestly, I have more programming than I can watch.

#10 OFFLINE   ke3ju

ke3ju

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts
  • LocationStroudsburg, PA and Seminole, FL

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

75 miles is not out of the question unless you are down in a valley. I am picking up OTA locals at 75 miles out using the AM-21. The sub-channels are not so niche either. I am having a good old time with MeTV and Antenna TV.

I'm only 40 miles as the crow flies from my locals.  I spent over $500 on the Best Anntenna, and Equipment to no avail.  It's all about hieght above average terrain.  If you ain't got it, you ain't gonna get it.  At our house in FL, I am the same distance from the locals down there, but can pull them in 100% with Rabbit Ears.

1 - HR20-100S
1 - HR21-100B
1 - HR22-700
1 - HR24-500
1 - R22

'Any fool can write code that a computer can understand.
Good programmers write code that humans can understand.'
Martin Fowler

Protected By... spam firewall...And...