Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nomad - Is it worth it?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:25 AM

Ok that's what I was wondering about. So nomad = automated transcoding with a one month limitation on the recordings, and pvr = manual transcoding with no limitations (btw you can record simultaniously to your dvr and pvr, so no having to wait for the show to hit your HR playlist).

You can not Offload PPV or OTA Recordings at this time to your Nomad Device.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,803 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

I suspect one key differentiator between using nomad and anything else is the fact that it is/will be available on multiple platforms for viewing, and the process to get each that version on the mobile device is very straightforward.

Put another way...it's simple....it's easy...it works.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#23 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

So nomad = automated transcoding with a one month limitation on the recordings,

just to clarify the "one month limitation": your recordings expire one month after sending to your device. But if you want it longer, you just download it for another 30 days. Takes about six minutes for a one-hour show. (show must still be on one of your DVRs).

Edited by trh, 07 May 2012 - 04:47 AM.
Typo

#24 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

As with my other Slingbox PRO HD I couldn't use it effectively because my Bandwidth in my Marriott Vacation Villas didn't have enough Bandwidth to Support my Slingbox and I would get Pixellation and Macro Blocking so I just quit using it.

This is the exact reason I'm getting rid of mine. Stayed at two of the Marriotts recently and couldn't use it at either one because of the bandwidth problems!

I remember talking to you about purchasing your Slingbox!! For your info I ended up paying $219 for a new one off of Ebay and turned around 3 months later and sold it used on Ebay for $205!

Thanks everyone for all the great information.

#25 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

I just Love having all of my Favorite Recordings at my Disposal while at the Airport or on a Long Flight to Hawaii or in a Restaurant waiting for my Food or up in the North Carolina Mountains where I can't get reception for TV and It Looks Great!!!

Great PQ!!!
Here's My Setup

#26 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

Are we talking about Nomad or an iDevice? :lol:

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#27 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

Are we talking about Nomad or an iDevice? :lol:

- Merg

Don't get HDTVFABOY started on the Apple think or you will regret it!!! :lol:
Here's My Setup

#28 OFFLINE   BBM3

BBM3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

I know little about the Hauppauge (or Vulkano). They might be just as good or better than the nomad for all I know. But the OP didn't ask what the best option was; he wanted to know whether the nomad was worth it. BBM3 makes a strong case for the Vulkano.

(And the nomad retails for $149.)

The Vulkano Lava, Blast, Platnium, Deluxe, and Deluxe Pro will do more than a Sling HD Pro + Nomad will for less $$$.

Nomad recordings expire after 30 days.
Nomad will not transcode outside home network.
Nomad has limited programing available including PPV and OTA.
Sling will not transcode to mobile devices.
Sling mobile apps cost $29.99 per device. :eek2:
Vulkano mobile iOS apps are free for legacy devices.
Vulkano mobile apps are available for iOS, Blackberry, and Android devices plus free PC and OSX clients.

I suspect one key differentiator between using nomad and anything else is the fact that it is/will be available on multiple platforms for viewing, and the process to get each that version on the mobile device is very straightforward.

The Vulkano is simple and straightforward. Only one button press to transcode to your mobile device.
Vulkano setup is simple. Assign a static IP and open two ports on your router. Done.

I promise I am not a Shill for Monsoon Multimedia just a satisfied customer.

Edited by BBM3, 07 May 2012 - 10:40 AM.

#29 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,978 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

I think we answered the OP's question.

If we need to or want to debate Vulkano is vs. Nomad, someone could open that appropriate thread. I suspect the Mods would permit it with its own thread for the purpose.

#30 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

FWIW, I bought a nomad and have found it cumbersome to use. And the video quality, which may be OK on a phone or iPad was not so great full-screen on a laptop.

For occasional travel, I've found it much easier and get better results paying a couple of bucks to buy a few shows in the iTunes store, download then into iTunes, and sync to the iPad if that's where I want to watch them.

I think nomad is a great idea, but I'm not happy with how it was implemented.

#31 OFFLINE   BBM3

BBM3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

I think we answered the OP's question.

If we need to or want to debate Vulkano is vs. Nomad, someone could open that appropriate thread. I suspect the Mods would permit it with its own thread for the purpose.

I respectifully disagree.

The OP asked, "Nomad - Is it worth it?"

Not a single poster replyed NO to the question.
Other options have been discussed.
Is this not the point of sharing knowledge on an open forum?

#32 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

I've expressed my opinion elsewhere on the nomad threads, but I'll say it here too. nomad is great for ease of use. I can set any series to be automatically downloaded. No fuss at all. There are several enhancements I'd like to see, but it's worth it for me.

I also have a Slingbox, but it's no good in the hotel I've been using. I have a DVD Recorder, but nomad doesn't interfere with my DVR watching while I'm home.

I've added USB storage, so most of the shows I want are available for immediate download.

Setup

Ken

#33 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,630 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

FWIW, I bought a nomad and have found it cumbersome to use. And the video quality, which may be OK on a phone or iPad was not so great full-screen on a laptop.

For occasional travel, I've found it much easier and get better results paying a couple of bucks to buy a few shows in the iTunes store, download then into iTunes, and sync to the iPad if that's where I want to watch them.

I think nomad is a great idea, but I'm not happy with how it was implemented.

I'm not sure how nomad is any more cumbersome than 'buying a few shows on iTunes, downloading them to iTunes, and sync the iPad if that's where I want to watch them.'

The whole idea of nomad is you can select anything on your dvrs (yes it doesn't do OTA and VOD, but that's minor). They transcode while you are doing something else and they download while you're doing something else.

What's cumbersome about that? No synching with iTunes. Nothing but net.

And why pay again for content?

The picture quality is great on the iPad and as good as any streaming video you'll get on a laptop. It's actually pretty stunning on my wife's MacBook.

Again no net required while you're watching. Anywhere. Very simple.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#34 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,630 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

I've added USB storage, so most of the shows I want are available for immediate download.

With 32Gb sticks approaching $20, you can triple the memory on nomad very cheaply. I've had a 16 GB stick on mine since the first week or so. And it does add to the nomad memory.

It keeps the movies / documentaries /programs that I want to carry and downloads quickly.

The 30 day limit is just a check to be sure you haven't gone away as a sub. Just re-download if you want that content again.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#35 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,603 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

I find the 'BEST' video q. for a laptop is to size the screen about the size of the iPad. Seems optimized for about that number of pixels. Screen quality and video chips/cards/processors can make a difference, too.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#36 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:00 AM

I find the 'BEST' video q. for a laptop is to size the screen about the size of the iPad. Seems optimized for about that number of pixels. Screen quality and video chips/cards/processors can make a difference, too.

Agree. I'm pretty sure Nomad outputs everything at 720x480 with the appropriate aspect ratio (at about 1400-1500 kbps). Looks great on an iPod, fine on my iPad. Depending on the content, I sometimes see jaggies on the PC.
/steve

#37 OFFLINE   xcr440sp

xcr440sp

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:10 AM

I bought Nomad when it first came out. I hooked it up and tried it on my laptop and it worked great. That said, I wouldn't recomend it. Despite "coming soon for Android" since last fall, you can only use it with Iphone or PC, which makes it a totally useless device for me. I also fear that if they have that little concern with getting the other "coming soon" platforms, Directv has little plans or effort in supporting the platform which means it could become obsolete quickly. I'd go with one of the other suggestions.

#38 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

I bought Nomad when it first came out. I hooked it up and tried it on my laptop and it worked great. That said, I wouldn't recomend it. Despite "coming soon for Android" since last fall, you can only use it with Iphone or PC, which makes it a totally useless device for me. I also fear that if they have that little concern with getting the other "coming soon" platforms, Directv has little plans or effort in supporting the platform which means it could become obsolete quickly. I'd go with one of the other suggestions.

The CEO of Directv has stated that Nomad will be Available Un All Platforms Soon and I believe that it will be if that is his Wish as he is the CEO and can make things happen.

I just love my Nomad and take it with me everywhere I travel especially to Europe and Hawaii on Long Flights, Very useful and Entertaining!!!
Here's My Setup

#39 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,803 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

I would not be surprised to see multiple other mobile device versions offered in the near future. My guess it takes DirecTV time to test them for copyright protection, presentation, and other anomolies unique to different platforms.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#40 OFFLINE   nino2469

nino2469

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

How large are typical files once they are on the ipad? If I have a 16Gb ipad how much would I have to put on there before it fills up?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...