Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nomad - Is it worth it?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,169 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

How large are typical files once they are on the ipad? If I have a 16Gb ipad how much would I have to put on there before it fills up?

That's been posted before, but I can't search for it right now. IAE, it's not huge, nor inconsequential, if that helps! You can get quite a few movies on there, also depends on other content you may have.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

Based on the PC file sizes - an hour HD program is 4-500 MB.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#43 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

Based on the PC file sizes - an hour HD program is 4-500 MB.

Cool Beans!!!

I was wondering how large they would be. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#44 OFFLINE   nino2469

nino2469

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

thats not bad at all

#45 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

can you add hard drive space by connecting a USB hard drive instead of just a thumb drive?
3 HR20's
1 Channel Master 4228 antenna in attic
1 Samsung 55" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Samsung 46" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Panasonic 42" Plasma (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

#46 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,572 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

can you add hard drive space by connecting a USB hard drive instead of just a thumb drive?

Yes. But keep in mind once the "parent" show is deleted from the HR, it will be deleted from Nomad storage as well.
/steve

#47 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

Yes. But keep in mind once the "parent" show is deleted from the HR, it will be deleted from Nomad storage as well.

thanks

just making sure since I have 3 DVRs and if I chose to transcode everything a thumb drive might not be enough
3 HR20's
1 Channel Master 4228 antenna in attic
1 Samsung 55" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Samsung 46" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Panasonic 42" Plasma (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

#48 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

I have had this drive hooked up to my Nomad since October and it has been working great for me.
http://www.amazon.co...wms_ohs_product
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#49 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,572 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

thanks

just making sure since I have 3 DVRs and if I chose to transcode everything a thumb drive might not be enough

My PC transcodes are averaging just under 300 Mbytes on my PC disk per 30 minutes of show, or 10 Mbytes/minute.

The 16GB Nomad internal storage is really closer to 15GB actual storage, so I'd conservatively estimate about 25 hours of storage on the device itself. Add a 16GB or 32GB thumb drive, and you're looking at 50 or 75 hours total.
/steve

#50 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

As a follow up to my original post I wanted to give everyone an FYI.

Ordered from Solid Signal. Sent two emails over a 5 day period asking for status of shipping! No responses. Decided to call them and was told it was a pre order and on back order until the end of June!! I cancelled the order.

Ordered from D* for about $25 more and it was here in one day. After a little bit of challenge getting it to work properly, it is now up and running. Thanks for all the help.

#51 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

Sometimes it amazes me, the amount of videos and music we can carry - each one of us!!

And there's not enough time to watch / listen to it all because we keep adding more!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#52 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,169 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

But isn't that only if nomad needs the space to transcode and store other programs??

#53 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,572 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

But isn't that only if nomad needs the space to transcode and store other programs??

If you mean does it physically remove the bits as well? I'm sure it doesn't. It tells the Nomad device that space is available for storage, if need be, and at the same time removes that show's entry from the "ready to download" lists. So for all intents and purposes, that show is deleted.

Just like when we delete a show from the HR playlist right now. Its bits are still on the HR drive, but we'll never be able to play it again, because we don't have a recycle bin from which to rescue it.
/steve

#54 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,169 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

No, I don't mean overwrite the bits; not one bit!

I am not sure of it either way, but I don't believe it's unavailable on nomad just because the show is gone from the DVRs. I am getting on a plane early tomorrow, so I don't have time to test that.

#55 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,572 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

I am not sure of it either way, but I don't believe it's unavailable on nomad just because the show is gone from the DVRs.

From the Nomad FAQ:

Do shows stored on nomad™ expire?
Shows stored in nomad’s™ internal memory will not expire. However,

• when nomad™ needs space for a new conversion, the oldest are deleted to make room.
  • when the original DVR recording is deleted, it’s deleted from nomad™ as well.

/steve

#56 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

As long as you have them on your device, you have 30 days to watch them even if they are gone from your DVR and nomad.

Setup

Ken

#57 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

Ok, I'm confused about Nomad. You hook it up to the home network, then it transcodes (un-encrypts?) the shows you select and then it does indeed download it to the device? Not something like putting it "on the cloud"?

#58 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

Ok, I'm confused about Nomad. You hook it up to the home network, then it transcodes (un-encrypts?) the shows you select and then it does indeed download it to the device? Not something like putting it "on the cloud"?

Nomad lists everything on your Directv HD DVR's. You select what you want, it transcodes it (i.e. converts it to a smaller file) and then you copy it to your device (computer, ipad, iphone). So you can watch what was on your DVR when you have no internet connection.

My favorite place to watch my Nomad content is around 35K feet while others on the plane are spending $6.99 or more for 20 channels of TV for a 2 hour flight. Once you have Nomad its free to copy the content to your device of choice.

#59 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:02 AM

Nomad lists everything on your Directv HD DVR's. You select what you want, it transcodes it (i.e. converts it to a smaller file) and then you copy it to your device (computer, ipad, iphone). So you can watch what was on your DVR when you have no internet connection.

My favorite place to watch my Nomad content is around 35K feet while others on the plane are spending $6.99 or more for 20 channels of TV for a 2 hour flight. Once you have Nomad its free to copy the content to your device of choice.

I second that motion.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#60 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:00 AM

Not "in the cloud". The content resides on your device, much like music on an iPod. You don't need Internet connection to watch the shows once they are on your PC/Tablet/Smartphone

Protected By... spam firewall...And...