Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nomad - Is it worth it?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:05 AM

If you travel, it is definitely worth it. Hotel Internet can be spotty, and as others mentioned, it's great on the plane.

Setup

Ken

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

If you travel, it is definitely worth it. Hotel Internet can be spotty, and as others mentioned, it's great on the plane.

And in the car, on the bus, on the train, etc. Nice to be able to watch stuff without relying on WiFi or especially 3G/4G service where you can eat up your data package pretty quick.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#63 OFFLINE   realfan

realfan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

So I am confused. The DirecTV website states that nomad for iPad isn't yet available. However, several of you in this thread and other threads seem to be already using nomad to download shows to their iPads. Is this something I can begin using now to record shows to my iPad, or do I have to wait?

#64 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,537 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

So I am confused. The DirecTV website states that nomad for iPad isn't yet available. However, several of you in this thread and other threads seem to be already using nomad to download shows to their iPads. Is this something I can begin using now to record shows to my iPad, or do I have to wait?

The iPhone client works find on the iPad. Just use it in 2x mode. It's just the GUI that's up-sized. Video is full-screen, and wouldn't look any better, even if there was a dedicated iPad client.
/steve

#65 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,387 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

Adding to Steve's post, Nomad on the iPad gave me about 6 hours of watching on the iPad last night when we lost power for about 16 hours. Not normally what we would have watched program wise, but we were able to watch a movie and concert with no power in the house.

Otherwise, it's amazingly quiet in the house when the power is off!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#66 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

The iPhone client works find on the iPad. Just use it in 2x mode. It's just the GUI that's up-sized. Video is full-screen, and wouldn't look any better, even if there was a dedicated iPad client.

It would be nice to have the GUI in landscape. My iPad is usually in its Logitech Keyboard and I get a sore neck bending it to the left.

#67 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,537 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

It would be nice to have the GUI in landscape. My iPad is usually in its Logitech Keyboard and I get a sore neck bending it to the left.

I know what you mean. Even without a keyboard attached to my iPad, I often find myself (lazily) just using the GUI sideways. :P
/steve

#68 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,387 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Even using the iPad in bed propped up with a pillow, I use it sideways. I don't spend a lot of time in the playlist and don't sweat the small stuff.

I'd suspect it'll eventually be integrated into the DAFI app with all the bells and whistles but it's very usable on the iPad now.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#69 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

There will be an ipad specific nomad app out latter this year. It won't be built into he ipad app we have now, unless something changes dramatically between about two weeks ago and when it launches...

#70 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

There will be an ipad specific nomad app out latter this year. It won't be built into he ipad app we have now, unless something changes dramatically between about two weeks ago and when it launches...

Awesome. Although that is sarcastic for the fact that the DFIA won't have nomad functionality built in. It would be nice to be able to go to one app for all my DirecTV viewing on the iPad.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#71 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

Awesome. Although that is sarcastic for the fact that the DFIA won't have nomad functionality built in. It would be nice to be able to go to one app for all my DirecTV viewing on the iPad.

- Merg

I agree,but for some reason they seem to want to keep the separate. I think its because one is for taking content with you, the other for everything else? Bt if we ever get streaming from the nomad of our recordings, then talk about convoluted....

I hope I just misunderstood how they said it myself, but I don't think I did.

I'm still surprised we cant access and mess with our accounts n the apps yet either.

#72 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:12 AM

I posted an issue a few weeks ago in the Nomad software release thread regarding a few particular "shows" that I can't seem to get to prepare properly but never got a response as to whether anyone had seen similar situations with their nomad/apps/client.

What is happening is I'm trying to get one particular show to finish "preparing" and then be available to download to my phone/touch/netbook.

The show is "Training Camp Daily" and it is/was on CSN Mid-Atlantic (642). The app/client shows all episodes where I can select them to prepare/download---I then go to set them to "prepare" (either manually or via the auto download)....and the first one will start preparing----the progress bar will get down to 30 minutes/29/28/27 (i.e. showing "progress"....all the way down to 1 minute left to prepare----and then it will say "calculating" and then start preparing again...never being available to download to my iphone/ipod touch/netbook.

This happens whether I try and do just one episode manually, ALL manually or auto download.

I called tech support, they gave me a pin #/case # to call back about...but the issue is I went away on vacation the next day so I never called. And now that I'm back in town it's still now preparing/downloading so I'll have to call again to re-open the case. And when I did talk to the tech he said he'd never personally heard of a situation like this...and there was nothing in his system to compare it to ?!?!

So: Has anyone else had a show/series that will not prepare/download...although it's available to do so?
D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

#73 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,956 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

Never happened to me.

It could be that it's mis-tagged, and hence being treated as if it were a PPV, which are not allowed on nomad.

I'd watch it on TV and delete.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#74 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

Never happened to me.

It could be that it's mis-tagged, and hence being treated as if it were a PPV, which are not allowed on nomad.

I'd watch it on TV and delete.

So can I use that phrase when I get around to calling Tech Support again---"mistagged" so as to possibly lead them in the right direction as to why it starts to prepare, counts down as if it's going to complete the task...and then restarts ?!?!
D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

#75 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,956 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

It's a possibility.

If it were me, I'd delete it and move on. I call tech support once every 15th blue moon.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#76 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

The Nomad is supposed to receive an update today. Maybe that will fix your problem. I say "supposed" because the update was supposed to be last week, but Customer Service told me it was delayed and I would get it today.

#77 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

I agree,but for some reason they seem to want to keep the separate. I think its because one is for taking content with you, the other for everything else? Bt if we ever get streaming from the nomad of our recordings, then talk about convoluted....

I hope I just misunderstood how they said it myself, but I don't think I did.

I'm still surprised we cant access and mess with our accounts n the apps yet either.

I'm curious though who you are hearing this from. If it's a regular CSR on the phone I wouldn't count on them being right. If it's someone on here who might actually know then it would be more reliable (but if that was the case I would think they would have told you not to be talking about it).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#78 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

I'm curious though who you are hearing this from. If it's a regular CSR on the phone I wouldn't count on them being right. If it's someone on here who might actually know then it would be more reliable (but if that was the case I would think they would have told you not to be talking about it).

Stuart invited me to a conference call with some DIRECTV people, which is where I found out about all this. It was mainly about the new iPad app, but they also mention a little about the nomad. Definetly not a csr type, but people who would actually know.

#79 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

In that case, yes it does seem a lot more credible. It still seems really strange to me that it has taken so long to get an iPad Nomad app though if it was going to be a seperate app. I always figured the delay was because it was going to be built into the DirecTV App For iPad (DAFI).

Since it is going to be a seperate app, I hope they at least just take the iPhone app and make it a universal app that is designed to work on both the iPhone and iPad, rather than having a seperate iPhone app, iPad app, iPhone Nomad app, and iPad Nomad app. It would be much nicer to have just to apps. Make the DAFI app universal for both the iPhone and iPad, and make the iPad app universal for both so it's just two apps instead of 4.
-by Jack Handy

#80 OFFLINE   dueport

dueport

Mentor

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:45 AM

With 32Gb sticks approaching $20, you can triple the memory on nomad very cheaply. I've had a 16 GB stick on mine since the first week or so. And it does add to the nomad memory.

It keeps the movies / documentaries /programs that I want to carry and downloads quickly.

The 30 day limit is just a check to be sure you haven't gone away as a sub. Just re-download if you want that content again.

I never knew you could do this - very helpful! Thank you!

spam firewall