Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nomad - Is it worth it?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   dueport

dueport

Mentor

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:20 AM

I recently purchased a slingbox for travel and found out the hard way that it wasn't what I needed. Evidently the resorts we tend to stay at don't have the highest bandwidth available and thus the slingbox is impossible to watch.

Am now considering the nomad and was hoping for some input from those of you that have the unit. Any input, good or bad, greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I know I'm late responding to your initial post and you've already bought your nomad but for anyone else who may be on the fence I want to echo the enthusiastic comments of others who have posted. In fact, I've been meaning to post about how useful we've found the nomad. My wife and I recently did a cruise to the Bahamas which involved both a long flight and expensive, dial up level speed on-ship Internet. Obviously, a streaming solution is out of the question for watching on a cruise (or a plane). The nomad is a perfect solution. It made the flights and layover go by very quickly with little stress. And, although we didn't actually end up watching much on the cruise itself, it was nice to know we could. As others have said, it is very nice to be using your nomad on a trip and know that you're not paying additional money for content - you're really extending the value of your existing subscription, and that is very satisfying.

I hope they continue to support and develop the nomad platform. On my wish list: remote access to your DVRs through the nomad app. This way, when you're on a trip you could remotely see what new recordings you have, select them for encoding, and download to your device (if you find you happen to have the bandwidth to do so). It would be nice to have the ability to get shows that have been recorded to your DVRs after you left the house. We've found that we have enough to watch as it is but this would be a nice option.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#82 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

I posted an issue a few weeks ago in the Nomad software release thread regarding a few particular "shows" that I can't seem to get to prepare properly but never got a response as to whether anyone had seen similar situations with their nomad/apps/client.

What is happening is I'm trying to get one particular show to finish "preparing" and then be available to download to my phone/touch/netbook.

The show is "Training Camp Daily" and it is/was on CSN Mid-Atlantic (642). The app/client shows all episodes where I can select them to prepare/download---I then go to set them to "prepare" (either manually or via the auto download)....and the first one will start preparing----the progress bar will get down to 30 minutes/29/28/27 (i.e. showing "progress"....all the way down to 1 minute left to prepare----and then it will say "calculating" and then start preparing again...never being available to download to my iphone/ipod touch/netbook.

This happens whether I try and do just one episode manually, ALL manually or auto download.

I called tech support, they gave me a pin #/case # to call back about...but the issue is I went away on vacation the next day so I never called. And now that I'm back in town it's still now preparing/downloading so I'll have to call again to re-open the case. And when I did talk to the tech he said he'd never personally heard of a situation like this...and there was nothing in his system to compare it to ?!?!

So: Has anyone else had a show/series that will not prepare/download...although it's available to do so?

Is this happening with one particular episode of the show or any episode?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#83 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,099 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:14 AM

I know I'm late responding to your initial post and you've already bought your nomad but for anyone else who may be on the fence I want to echo the enthusiastic comments of others who have posted. In fact, I've been meaning to post about how useful we've found the nomad. My wife and I recently did a cruise to the Bahamas which involved both a long flight and expensive, dial up level speed on-ship Internet. Obviously, a streaming solution is out of the question for watching on a cruise (or a plane). The nomad is a perfect solution. It made the flights and layover go by very quickly with little stress. And, although we didn't actually end up watching much on the cruise itself, it was nice to know we could. As others have said, it is very nice to be using your nomad on a trip and know that you're not paying additional money for content - you're really extending the value of your existing subscription, and that is very satisfying.

I hope they continue to support and develop the nomad platform. On my wish list: remote access to your DVRs through the nomad app.

What a neat post. :)

It contains many of thes same observations those of us who travel experience.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#84 OFFLINE   dconfer

dconfer

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

After reading the above post I wish they would get the andriod app out.
I have nomad but cant use it since no app. Coming soon yea right.

#85 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,916 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

So: Has anyone else had a show/series that will not prepare/download...although it's available to do so?

A few months ago, I had a program that wouldn't complete but after a firmware update, it started to work properly.

Watching on the dvr there was a 'glitch' in the video that was probably causing the problem.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#86 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

I think the best of both Sling and Nomad is Vulkano.
The Lava and Blast will give you total control of your DVR including recording and playback, stream live over wi-fi or 3G as well as save / transcode recordings to your mobile device.

Plus you can record and transcode to your mobile device outside of your home network.

I have been using a legacy model (Platinum) with a 500gb esata drive attached for about two years and have never had a problem.

Video quality is near HD. I can read the CNBC scroll even on an iPhone.

(Monsoon sells refurbished legacy Delux Pro units with 500gb drives on eBay).

I love the vulkano! I use it after being a longtime slingbox user. The vulkano seems to be much more reliable when streamed remotely. It encodes using h.264.

This a vulkano screenshot...local streamed wifi 1080i component, vulkano output @ 720x480.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#87 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

A few months ago, I had a program that wouldn't complete but after a firmware update, it started to work properly.

Watching on the dvr there was a 'glitch' in the video that was probably causing the problem.

You're definitely onto something there. I had 2 separate "discoveries" recently when trying to diagnose just WHY shows would go through the "preparing" stage--sometimes almost FULLY preparing (i.e. 1 minute left) and then it would start preparing again.

First issue: As above in one of my original posts, I had one series (on an out of market RSN) that was working fine for the first week of the shows airing. Then all of a sudden it would get to the point where it would almost FULLY prepare each episode...and then...poof....start from the beginning again. I sat down to watch a few of the episodes (that I couldn't get onto my iphone/netbook) on my TV to figure out WTF was up. Turns out at the end of almost EVERYONE (i.e AFTER the show actually ended and the next show was starting) a black box popped up in the bottom right hand corner of the screen stating that the following show was blacked out---so I'm guessing the nomad read that information and would NOT finish downloading the showing.

Second issue: I had one episode of a show that WOULD prepare for about 20-30 seconds and immediately stop. I sat down to watch that show...and as you said above, there was a visual "glitch" on the screen for about 1-2 minutes---possibly a thunderstorm came through...thus screwing up the recording for only a few minutes---but it must throw off the nomad and make it stop preparing.

It's a shame that there's no way for the nomad to TELL YOU why it won't finish downloading or for some on screen prompt to pop up telling you that the recording has some issues and therefore can not prepare/download.

I can only imagine how many people just take the Nomad and return it or will do nothing but complain about how it's a piece of junk--instead of understanding (easily) just WHY a particular show/episode/channel isn't working properly on the preparation/downloading stages.

:mad:
D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

#88 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

@jaypb:

That's a good problem analysis there. Make sure to post that in the nomad issues thread so the powers-that-be see your issue and what might be causing it.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#89 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

Turns out at the end of almost EVERYONE (i.e AFTER the show actually ended and the next show was starting) a black box popped up in the bottom right hand corner of the screen stating that the following show was blacked out---so I'm guessing the nomad read that information and would NOT finish downloading the showing.

Great observation. I was having problems last season (Hockey) trying to get games I recorded to my Nomad. They were all live games, so I added the 30 minutes. And since the Center Ice (CI) channels are 'mirrors' of RSNs that I don't subscribe too, I'm wondering if this was causing my problem. I had the same issue: goes through the whole transcoding, only to start all over each time. I never noticed the 'not subscribed' box though because I never watched those shows in their entirety.

Several calls to DirecTV and working through Case Management, they told me CI had been coded as PPV and that was causing my problem.

But I like your reasoning better.

#90 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

I went ahead and reposted the possibility of glitching/end of show "blackouts" as a reasoning for why several of my recordings would not finish preparing.

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction guys!

:grin:
D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...