Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Questions about upgrading to HR34 and MRV

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   satprof

satprof

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

I have the following setup now:
2.5 year old install
SWM built in/came with the Slimline Dish
HR24 (living room)
H23 (gym)
SD box (bedroom)

The HR24 is connected to the internet as follows:
DSL box is hard wire connected elsewhere to an Apple airport extreme base station that sends signals over wireless to an Airport express in the living room; the ethernet port from the wireless express runs via a hardwire into the ethernet input connection into the back of the HR24 (Directv apps works fine)
The other receivers have no wireless or wired internet connections at present. Their only inputs now are one coax cable to each receiver, which obviously runs back to the SWM/dish, done at the DTV original install.

I want to do the following:
a) upgrade the SD box to an HR34
and
B) switch the receiver locations as follows:
HR34 (living room); H23 (bedroom);HR24 (gym) (or maybe H23 (gym) and HR24 (bedroom), if it matters at all which receiver is actually where with MRV capability in place; not clear that it does)

I don't care about streaming video or Pandora really very much.

Just want to have MRV/whole home and the three receivers upgraded all to HD, and want to take advantage of the opportunity to add an HR34 while replacing the SD box.

Questions:
a) What if anything do I need other than an HR34 itself?
B) Do I really need an install or is it just as simple as unplugging the existing receivers, and plugging them back in (along with the HR34) at their new locations and having MRV activated by DTV?
c) Of course, any info on a good price/deal for the above is appreciated as well. Am off of contract and have an offer already for a free HDreceiver upgrade on my account and am still paying for HD (10/month).

Thanks for the help!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

You can just plug and play. You'll have 8 tuners, which is the max for a SWM-LNB. Since the HR34 will go where the HR24 is now, just plug the Ethernet cable into the HR34. The HR34 will act as a bridge for the Internet for all the other receivers. When MRV is turned on, all the receivers will communicate with each other via the coax network in your house (you technically won't need them hooked to the Internet for MRV to work).

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,103 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

If you order your HR34 from DIRECTV they will require installation, if you are comfortable doing it your self then you can order it from a place like Solidsignal.com

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#4 OFFLINE   satprof

satprof

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for the help
but if I order from solid signal, I would like a method of getting the HR34 for much less than the list price (some here have even reported to have gotten it for free, in which case the install fee paid to DTV is still a good deal overall...)
is there a way to do that?
I of course am comfortable unplugging the existing sets and plugging in the new ones, along with the rear connections and the like, no problem whatsoever.

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for the help
but if I order from solid signal, I would like a method of getting the HR34 for much less than the list price (some here have even reported to have gotten it for free, in which case the install fee paid to DTV is still a good deal overall...)
is there a way to do that?
I of course am comfortable unplugging the existing sets and plugging in the new ones, along with the rear connections and the like, no problem whatsoever.

Unfortunately, the full retail price is what it's going to be if you order from SS. You might be able to work out a credit with DirecTV for when you activate the HR34, but don't count on it.

- Merg

#6 OFFLINE   Barmat

Barmat

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

I have an instalation seq for the 15th for an hr34 and a hd reciever.

This is what I have currently.

2 Hr20-700 connected to my router.

some unknown multi switch

2 unused double coax runs that used to be used for now inactive DVRs. An old D* Tivo and a HR20-700.

I'm having the inactive DVR's replaced with the HR34 and the new HD reciever.

I thought I would have to run new RJ45 to the new recievers to get MRV is that true?
Bedroom - H24>>>Standard Philips CRT TV
Family Room - HR20-700>>> Panasonic Plasma 42"
Living Room - HR34-700>>> Panasonic Plasma 50" HDMI
Office HR20-700>>>> Standard no-name TV
Internet - Comcast
Swm 16-CCK

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,939 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

Supported MRV doesn't go through Ethernet. To get Internet features, there needs to be one point in the DECA cloud where it can get Internet, either through a wired connection or wireless. You'd need a Cinema Connection Kit or Wireless CCK for that. Also, if the HR34 is where you can plug ethernet into, you can plug into its jack and get the connection that way.

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

I have an instalation seq for the 15th for an hr34 and a hd reciever.

This is what I have currently.

2 Hr20-700 connected to my router.

some unknown multi switch

2 unused double coax runs that used to be used for now inactive DVRs. An old D* Tivo and a HR20-700.

I'm having the inactive DVR's replaced with the HR34 and the new HD reciever.

I thought I would have to run new RJ45 to the new recievers to get MRV is that true?

No. MRV works strictly on the coax network in your house. The installer will replace your current multi-switch with a SWM16 as you will have a total of 10 tuners (2 DVRs, the HR34, and a HD receiver).

He might also hook up a Cinema Connection Kit (CCK), which will bridge your home network to the coax network so that you can have access to VOD, MediaShare, and can use the DirecTV iPad app. The CCK would just need an Ethernet cable near it, unless it is a Wireless CCK, in which case it can connect wirelessly back to your router.

The other option for bridging the home network to the coax network would be to hook an Ethernet cable directly to the HR34. In that case, the CCK is not needed.

- Merg

#9 OFFLINE   Barmat

Barmat

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

Ok since I'll be putting the HR34 where one of the already wired to the router HR20s is, that's all I need. The hr20 and the h24 will draw a connection to the internet and MRV through the single coax connection from the new multi switch or the hr34.
Bedroom - H24>>>Standard Philips CRT TV
Family Room - HR20-700>>> Panasonic Plasma 42"
Living Room - HR34-700>>> Panasonic Plasma 50" HDMI
Office HR20-700>>>> Standard no-name TV
Internet - Comcast
Swm 16-CCK

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

Ok since I'll be putting the HR34 where one of the already wired to the router HR20s is, that's all I need. The hr20 and the h24 will draw a connection to the internet and MRV through the single coax connection from the new multi switch or the hr34.

The HR20 and the H24 will have access to the Internet due to the HR34 having the Ethernet cable plugged into it and bridging the coax network to your home network. If you have a CCK installed, the HR34, HR20, and H24 will access the Internet via the CCK connection.

MRV will be available via the coax network.

- Merg

Protected By... spam firewall...And...