Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dropping to Lower Package

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jakz34

Jakz34

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

I currently have the Premiere package. I have a HD-DVR, SD-DVR and 3 SD receivers for a total of 5 in the house. I'm looking at dropping to Entertainment or Choice due to the cost of the Premiere package. It currently runs about $185 a month for my current setup. I am also out of contract meaning I can end service altogether without paying any fees.

If I downgrade my package, does that put me in another 2 year contract? Are there any other negatives I need to be aware of if I choose to downgrade?

On a side note, I live in the Jonesboro, Arkansas area and we recently got locals. These only show up on the HD receiver and not the SD. Any reason for that?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

Since you are on premier, no real downsides. It does not extend your contract, and you can go back to it later.

It's possible your locals require an HD box, even for SD. I think I saw Jonesboro on that list. You can get a swap out from DirecTV.

#3 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

The only possible issue that could happen, is if when you signed up you received free HD. If so, its possible you will lose that discount and end up paying $10 more per month then you expect. Its happened to others.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

Do MPEG4 market customers have to pay that? He has to have HD boxes for his locals. Or is it only waived if you have SD equipment swapped out because of the locals requirement?

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

Do MPEG4 market customers have to pay that? He has to have HD boxes for his locals. Or is it only waived if you have SD equipment swapped out because of the locals requirement?

I don't think that MPEG4 markets have to pay the $10 unless they are subscribe to HD...people in MPEG4 markets dont get channels in HD just because they have HD equipment. If someone in an MPEG4 market wants HD, they still have to pay for HD. In the OP's case, he should have been notified that his locals were being offered in MPEG4 only and offered to have his SD equipment swapped out, of course thats only if he was even subscribed to locals in his area, which he may not have been if they weren;t offered when he originally signed up.

#6 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

If you want HD you have to pay the fee. If you have SD only you can't set the res past 480. I have a place in northern Michigan and it is in an HD only market, had to get the HD free for two years when we updated to HD tvs.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#7 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

I currently have the Premiere package. I have a HD-DVR, SD-DVR and 3 SD receivers for a total of 5 in the house. I'm looking at dropping to Entertainment or Choice due to the cost of the Premiere package. It currently runs about $185 a month for my current setup. I am also out of contract meaning I can end service altogether without paying any fees.

If I downgrade my package, does that put me in another 2 year contract? Are there any other negatives I need to be aware of if I choose to downgrade?

On a side note, I live in the Jonesboro, Arkansas area and we recently got locals. These only show up on the HD receiver and not the SD. Any reason for that?

I can confirm. That lowering or modifying any package or other account settings like Whole Home DVR, etc doesn't add to or create a new contract. I'm nearing the end of mine (in June) and am lowering my channel package from Choice Xtra to Entertainment. No issues at all with my contract. The ONLY time you have to sign a new or extend an existing contract is if you lease a new receiver. Whether it be DVR, HD-DVR, or just good ole basic receiver. If DirecTV has to discount (yes $199 or less is a discount, full price is MUCH more) a receiver it will require a contract to be renewed or started. If you "buy" it out right (still leased keep in mind) then they "should NOT" (some may need to correct me if I'm wrong) have to start a new or extend a contract for your service. Other wise you should be good to go.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

If its actually bought and is one tat can be bought, no contact and not leased. In the past people thought they bought from Costco or Best Buy. Those were leases.

#9 OFFLINE   Jakz34

Jakz34

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

I'm already being charged $10/month for locals so I don't think I'll be incurring extra charges there. I am being charged $2.50/month for a Fox East feed I was approved for prior to locals being approved in the Jonesboro market. Is there any benefit keeping it?

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:30 AM

With every program package it states "Local channels included at no extra charge. (?): Eligibility based on service address".

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:40 AM

I'm already being charged $10/month for locals so I don't think I'll be incurring extra charges there. I am being charged $2.50/month for a Fox East feed I was approved for prior to locals being approved in the Jonesboro market. Is there any benefit keeping it?

Regular locals arent $10/month, so I can only assume you must be getting Distant Network feeds as your locals since D* didnt offer them until recently. Unless you are heavily vested in the local feed from someplace else(many people get that way), there is no reason to spend the extra money on the distant feeds but that would be up to you.

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

I can see it being useful if a sporting event on the local channel runs long or they interrupt programming for weather (and you're not affected).

#13 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

With every program package it states "Local channels included at no extra charge. (?): Eligibility based on service address".

Yup. All packages include locals. If locals are not available for you then they will deduct $3/month from your package price. They used to do it the other way in that you paid $3/month extra if you wanted locals.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall