Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish not grounded

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   batter

batter

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 05:37 PM

I am a new customer and had my dish installed about two weeks ago. The installer did not ground the thing and said that that was not necessary when I asked about it.
Is that true?

Bas

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim Parker

Jim Parker

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 05:59 PM

Not true. The RG coax from the dish is supposed to have a grounding block installed. This is about an inch wide, has threaded "F" connnectors on each side and a screw where the ground wire goes. See this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=19842

#3 Guest_Sat Buddy_*

Guest_Sat Buddy_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2004 - 01:02 PM

Go look at the uplink center, or your cities local stations studios.

They are never grounded!

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,902 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 05:28 PM

Go look at the uplink center, or your cities local stations studios.

They are never grounded!

Never is a big word. One grounded dish at one studio proves you wrong.

BTW: You are wrong. I know of one studio that is grounded.

(And my dish installation is grounded.)

JL

#5 OFFLINE   zach21

zach21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 05:56 PM

I am a new customer and had my dish installed about two weeks ago. The installer did not ground the thing and said that that was not necessary when I asked about it.
Is that true?

Bas

Is you dish on the roof or on a poll?

#6 Guest_Rupert_*

Guest_Rupert_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:05 PM

Who the hell even cares?

#7 OFFLINE   Tool408

Tool408

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:08 PM

Is that true?

Bas

Batter you need to have DNSC come out and reinstall your wiring. And be sure that your switches are install indoors or under the eve's and have 4" rain loops applied. Don't laugh because this is what THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DO!!!

;)

#8 OFFLINE   zach21

zach21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:09 PM

What is your problem?

#9 OFFLINE   zach21

zach21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:10 PM

Rupert what is your problem?

#10 OFFLINE   Tool408

Tool408

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:11 PM

Who the hell even cares?

Yeah who cares when your receiver is zapped and is not covered by Dish when you get zapped, because your system wasn't grounded. You think you can blame the installers X years later??? Yoiu better have johnny cochran.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,902 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:30 PM

Who the hell even cares?

If you don't, you are not being forced to read or respond. :grin:

JL

#12 OFFLINE   busboy789

busboy789

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 07:42 PM

I'm not sure what the difference is between grounded and not. Mine were not grounded from 97-03. I grounded them last month. I had no problems in the six years that they weren't grounded. But for what its worth, I'm grounded now.

#13 OFFLINE   DishDude1

DishDude1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 07:58 PM

Grounding will not protect your receiver from being zapped at all! It is simply to provide a path for the electricity to follow should it get hit, which is a very rare chance since the dish itself is painted.

#14 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 08:41 PM

Why does the paint matter?
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#15 OFFLINE   MikeHDTulsa

MikeHDTulsa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 10:44 PM

Hi,

The dish is not required to be grounded but if you in a area with a lot of wind it would make a lot of sense to ground it to keep static discharges from arching over to your LNB's which might cause random lock ups on your receivers. It is required by the National Electric Code that the cables running into the house have to go through a grounding block in case of a lightening strike so it will lessen the chance that the equipment will catch on fire but the equipment would still be toast. The paint on a dish will make no difference to the lightening because it has such high voltage it can go through just about anything including a eight inch wall on your house. If they installed your equipment without the grounding blocks make them come back out and fix it.

#16 OFFLINE   PSB

PSB

Godfather

• Registered
  • 358 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 10:58 PM

Dish grounding is a must, I ground EVERY one I do EVERY day! Call em back out to ground it RIGHT tell them if they dont you will contact the State Electrical board ! Then call them back when they have done it and tell them you have reported them to the above. Its just not fair to the Pro installers out there taking their time and doing it RIGHT 1st time every time, never mind the risk involved!!!!!!!

#17 OFFLINE   oljim

oljim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:15 AM

I need to send my 22 yr old 10 ft dish to school, it has never been grounded and does not know it has Static build up.

#18 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:32 AM

Maybe an installer or someone else here can point me in the right direction. What is the best way to get the grounding wire from the dish to the pole. My dish is mounted on the middle of my roof on the 2nd floor. I would need to go across the roof, down 2 floors, then across the side of the house to get to the grounding rod. Do I just staple the bare wire along the way? I have Al siding so I didn't know if that mattered. Once I get to ground level, do I run it above ground of under ground? I can't seem to find anything that spells out what the best way to run it is.

Side-note: The dish is installed right next to a metal chimney for a fireplace and my furnace. Would that be a ground point?

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,902 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 09:54 AM

You could Google the National Electric Code and Grounding. Or read the section in the manual that should have come with your system (which, IIRC, shows the LNBs grounded by placing a grounding block in the cable run near the entrance point to the building - not the dish itself being grounded).

Metal cold water pipes are a good ground source indoors. I've got a grounding rod near my dish and the entrance point (3 ft apart) that is connected to a block in the feedlines. My DP34 is also grounded to the same point (it is 7ft inside that wall).

JL

#20 OFFLINE   batter

batter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 10:32 AM

Is you dish on the roof or on a poll?

Neither; it is halfway on the side of my house. I am not too worried about a (direct) lightning strike, more about static buildup (I live in N.Col, dry).
I can easily ground one wire myself (using the same method that the original cable used). For some reason this guy wired the other receiver by drilling another hole in my house and connecting it directly. (Instead of going to the garage where all my indoor RG6 cables meet.) It'll be harder to ground that one.

Bas

Protected By... spam firewall...And...