Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mandatory relocation or cancel

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nabisco

Nabisco

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Ok I guess the new pain in that butt is that wr are to take ant odu mounted on the vinyl siding and relocate on the roof or a pole, EVEN if its a functioning odu with no issues, you are to relocate it or cancel the job!? Like today i did a apt with a kaku on the siding and the land lord got super pissed at me, ask why i needed to move the odu, its been there for years? I said its policy... ok? He said there will be no more oduS put on his building.

Next item that this brings to order that possible damage claims, even if you leave the brackets I sure the customer will be pissed that there are brackets on there house looking bad and all of that....

Doesnt matter Install, former, existing oduS, upgrades and service calls, mandatory relocation no matter what or the order will be canceled....

Burns my butt on a service call at least on a upgrade i can add a odu with labor, and i also find that other markets, production doesnt touch service calls!

So how much more money do i lose now? How matter jobs will DTV let us cancel b4 enough is enough?

My hsp says its DTV policy??? Is this true??? What the hell?? also i know they force new policy on us and say its DTV and i later find out thats not true?? If dtv isnt behind this is there someone I can contact??? Y will i want to drive to a house, spent 30 to 45 minutes just to walk away..... HELLLOOOO im paid by the job!!!! If its not broke, y fix it??? Damage done if its mounted to the side, y move it and draw attention to it??

i really need a new employer or job field :nono:
DIRECTV Technician
-------------------------------------------
My opinions are mine and do not reflect those of either my HSP or DIRECTV.BUT SHOULD BE!!!
Worker rights!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

Sometimes operations managers will stretch the truth a little bit about exactly who came up with a given operations policy. I haven't heard of this one yet, which leads me to believe that this didn't necessarily originate with a Field Operations policy specifically.
You can always write a letter to your HSP's CEO. If you work for who I think you do, I can assure you that he has an open ear to your concerns at your location. However, I highly recommend that you rethink your writing technique. If that letter is written anything like your posts, it'll never make it to his office.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#3 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:47 AM

IIRC Slimlines were never to be installed on Vinyl siding. If that's the case then leaving a non authorized installation would result in a failed QA. As you're not working for an O&O they will be more sensitive to this as there are possible financial implications built into the SOP. They may have taken it a step further and just want all ODU's removed from siding, which is a good idea, as it is less secure than other mounting surfaces. It shouldn't be too hard to explain why it had to be moved and this really shouldn't be something you run into frequently or there were other issues going on.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:32 AM

The only approved siding mounts are to wood or brick. Technically any job we roll to has to be brought 100% up to spec. I'm suprised its an 'or cancel' situation. Perhaps speaking rationally about it with your supervisor could lead to an exception when good faith was made in trying to get it relocated.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

IIRC Slimlines were never to be installed on Vinyl siding.

If you watch any of the DIY shows that are working with Vinyl siding, they're clear that it needs to "float", since it expands and contracts with temp changes.
You can't mount a dish and have it still "float".
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

You could use a block of wood attached to the house, wrapped in metal, surrounded by j channel. It would be similar to a light block. That would take a lot of time to install, though.

#7 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

What you could do is relocate the dish either to a pole or the roof and leave the base attached as not expose the damaged siding. If the customer will not allow you to roof mount it or place it on a pole – Complete the service call have it noted on the account and have them sign off on the keeping the current location. (Keeping a copy) for yourself as your HSP will dock you sometime later after a Q&A inspection or not.

The property belongs to the OWNER be it a landlord or Customer. Not the HSP.
You are going to get pay docked any way you go. You may have been there too long anyway that’s why the sudden policy change, the longer you stay the more the deductions they take until you go away and they can hire a new guy for less per install. It’s a great business model.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#8 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

What you could do is relocate the dish either to a pole or the roof and leave the base attached as not expose the damaged siding. If the customer will not allow you to roof mount it or place it on a pole – Complete the service call have it noted on the account and have them sign off on the keeping the current location. (Keeping a copy) for yourself as your HSP will dock you sometime later after a Q&A inspection or not.

The property belongs to the OWNER be it a landlord or Customer. Not the HSP.
You are going to get pay docked any way you go. You may have been there too long anyway that’s why the sudden policy change, the longer you stay the more the deductions they take until you go away and they can hire a new guy for less per install. It’s a great business model.

The policy has always been to bring any installation up to code when you show up so it's not a change. It sounds more like a clarification was sent out and now he's upset. However he would be more upset if a storm ripped a dish off the side of a house and the claim went under him because he was the last one out.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:20 AM

My dish is presently on the side of my house (wood siding). We plan on having vinyl siding installed this summer. What exactly should we do to keep things legal? There is room below the present install to put the dish on a pole and still have LOS I'm pretty sure. Do I call D before getting the new siding and ask them to put the dish on a pole? Would that involve a cost to me?
Just trying to get my guns loaded before the new install occurs.
Tks
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#10 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

My dish is presently on the side of my house (wood siding). We plan on having vinyl siding installed this summer. What exactly should we do to keep things legal? There is room below the present install to put the dish on a pole and still have LOS I'm pretty sure. Do I call D before getting the new siding and ask them to put the dish on a pole? Would that involve a cost to me?
Tks

You could have the siding installers go around the dish mount as if it was a light or outlet, simply leaving it in place. You would have to re-route the cable.

#11 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Same with the 2 support posts I assume??
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#12 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Yes, I would do the same for the monopoles. It may not look as good as a pole mount, but it would be cheaper than if they were charging you for the pole mount.

#13 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

You could have the siding installers go around the dish mount as if it was a light or outlet, simply leaving it in place. You would have to re-route the cable.

Doing that works for as long as the dish is there. Remove the dish and you have siding issues. I would just do it properly and use a pole mount.

#14 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

If you remove the dish, the hole in the siding can be filled with a spare piece or two.

#15 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

So, if I don't go with a pole mount, then I will save a few big chunks of the new siding for the future. Tks for all the info.

#16 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

So, if I don't go with a pole mount, then I will save a few big chunks of the new siding for the future. Tks for all the info.

Not to confuse the issue, but I would go with the pole mount.

#17 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

This may voide your warranty of your new siding. Make sure you ask the company if they will do the warranty work and get it in writing. I would also call the siding company in case the company that does the work goes away.

#18 OFFLINE   Nabisco

Nabisco

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

If its not broke, dont fix it, yes it can b mounted to siding and b strong, i must of done it a million times it seems. We r not allowed to mount even with a j block it has been this way a year or so more. so y will i move a good mount creating a eye sore and a unhappy customer, maybe they didnt want or could have it on the ground or roof? there is a trillion reasons y the odu has be mounted where it is. now if it is not a good or it is unstable i will correct it issue. I will do what it takes to put in a safe, stable system... sometimes i have got creative but my cust was happy to have it done and had no issues with the way i may have of mounted it, heck sometimes if not alot is is customer request. Now dont strech my words, i dont carry a welder lol, with in reason and guidelines at the time I did what it took to make the job go in and earn a happy customer. at one time years ago before sin7 was a heavy issue it was just put it in.... no matter what, that created a problem with my tech sup, i would NOT EVER hack a job in. yes the times have changed we r about quality now and that way 4 some time, they said no mounting to vynal, fine we all did it that wasnt a issue, im sorry sir for the protection of your property i strongly reccmond we not mount it to the siding, it creates issues that u or us dont want to have. That is how i presented it most of the time to im sorry that is a unapproved mounting location. they would fight you some and 99% of the time the job went in with the odu in a better spot. NOW, going back to all of those jobs and moving a odu that is strong is dumb, if a tech said he wanted to move my dish and leave the brackets on my house... only moving the odu maybe a foot or so..... yea it isnt happening and that is what i am running into. im not lying to my customers i have a strong customer base. if my higher ups would listen to there so called back bone and treat us better and stop letting there managers run wild we would b better off. I have a close contact that when the higher ups r called they have no idea what there managers r doing or even thinking.....

Edited by Nabisco, 15 May 2012 - 07:42 PM.

DIRECTV Technician
My opinions are mine and do not reflect those of either my HSP or DIRECTV.BUT SHOULD BE!!!
Worker rights!

#19 OFFLINE   GBFAN

GBFAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

Tks

I had a similar situation and had them build a dish mount using a piece of 2 x10 that they capped. I know I am in the minority and it is a cardinal sin, but I do not have monopoles since we never get wind in the Chicago area.

#20 OFFLINE   Cosy458

Cosy458

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

As was said earlier, the vinyl siding MUST be allowed to move lengthwise, both for warranty and waterproofing issues. The correct way is to use the electrical and meter mounting blocks that have a slot all around to allow the movement and waterproofing. The dish needs a substantial structure mounting to prevent movement, These mounting blocks are typically hollow with an area of plywood to be fastened to the wall sufficiently strong to anchor the dish. Probably the wood siding should be removed in the plywood area, so the plywood is directly against the wall plywood sheathing (wood or plywood, not insulation board, etc.). The plywood must be thickness to be tight to the mounting block. Then the dish mount screws go into the plywood. Plan ahead for the various dish mounts, mine has 2 braces. Yes, this is a lot of monkey work, but not that difficult, 1 step at a time.

My dish is mounted on a low slope single ply sheet rubber roof with 1/2" insulation. In the dish mounting area there is a 1/2" plywood area instead if the insulation. The waterproofing of the screws is my responsibility which I agreed to. I have sealed around the screws with a compatible with roofing material sealant.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...