Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why was simultaneous SD-HD output stopped?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

But he didn't say what he set the resolution to when he turned native to OFF.  Maybe he set it to 1080i, which would scale any other resolutions (480i/p, 720p) to 1080i?

HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,288 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

But he didn't say what he set the resolution to when he turned native to OFF.  Maybe he set it to 1080i, which would scale any other resolutions (480i/p, 720p) to 1080i?

and then we go back to square one, where you can't use and HD output and SD output at the same time without getting the pop up message.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#53 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

How do you know that's not what he's saying that he's able to do with the workaround that he posted???  You're making assumptions.  Why don't you wait until he replies and clarifies.

HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#54 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,288 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

How do you know that's not what he's saying that he's able to do with the workaround that he posted???  You're making assumptions.  Why don't you wait until he replies and clarifies.

Whose making assumptions.. let me remind of your post 

I'm thinking he's just saying that if you do it while on an SD channel, that it tricks the receiver to somehow then do the simultaneous output from then on, on all channels including the HD ones.  I may be wrong though, but that's how I was reading it.

and mine....

how are you considering an SD channel HD is amazing!!!

I just made a comment...  you made the assumption...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#55 OFFLINE   philtec

philtec

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 53 posts
  • LocationPhila PA

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

Would this work with a HDMI splitter?

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B008FO7PQA

#56 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

and then we go back to square one, where you can't use and HD output and SD output at the same time without getting the pop up message.

^^^THIS^^^ is the post I was referring to regarding assumptions.  The assumption being that you said he still gets the pop up messages, when he said that he didn't get them by doing his workaround.

HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#57 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

Excellent explanation TomCat. So are you saying that Motorola and Cisco cable set tops have 4 scalers? They output the GUI on all outputs simultaneously. I send the SD output from an H24 to my SD TV in my bedroom since I'm never in the family room (HDMI) and bedroom (RF) at the same time. The nag screen is too big and obnoxious and I just wish there was a press and hold "exit" command with the iPad or iPhone apps. Don't really need an OSD with the iPad, but a button to dismiss the obnoxious banner would be nice. Press and hold is also flaky with my IR to RF repeaters.

Edited by cypherx, 31 December 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#58 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

I run 3 SD TV's from my HR24. I have HD in living room, via HD connection from receiver to HD TV. In 3 remote rooms with SD TV's, I have a component cable from the HR24 to a component to composite converter and then a 3-way splitter to the composite hook-ups on the SD TV's. This gives you the same feed on all the TV's without having to convert to SD. The only minor drawback is the HD copyright protection. Meaning certain channels (mostly premium) won't show on the SD TV's unless the HD TV in the living room in on. I don't have many premium channels and the set-up works well for me to be able to view satellite TV in 4 different rooms with just one receiver.

#59 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

The only minor drawback is the HD copyright protection. Meaning certain channels (mostly premium) won't show on the SD TV's unless the HD TV in the living room in on.

I solved that problem years ago but I'm not sure you can even purchase some of the hardware anymore.  My setup is my HR21 has only an HDMI connection which runs to a monoprice HDCP compliant HDMI switch.  One HDMI cable to a HDTV and another to an HDfury2.  Component cable out of the HDfury2 to component to composite converter and composite cables to SD TV.  If the HDTV is off, the SD TV still works.

HR10-250   250G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD 0x099c
DirecTV since 1997

#60 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

If the HDMI goes into an AVR, does it work if the TV is off but the AVR is on (muted if course)?

#61 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,579 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

If the HDMI goes into an AVR, does it work if the TV is off but the AVR is on (muted if course)?

Work? What would you think it could do with the TV off. Perhaps I misunderstand your question, so please re-state. 

Another source? Oh, wait, you mean such as music playing from the receiver, I bet. Still not sure what you'd expect with the AVR muted. 

I have an optical between my AVR and receiver, and with that I can use my receiver for music with the TV off. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#62 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

I solved that problem years ago but I'm not sure you can even purchase some of the hardware anymore.  My setup is my HR21 has only an HDMI connection which runs to a monoprice HDCP compliant HDMI switch.  One HDMI cable to a HDTV and another to an HDfury2.  Component cable out of the HDfury2 to component to composite converter and composite cables to SD TV.  If the HDTV is off, the SD TV still works.

Thanks for the info, and I knew you could buy equipment to correct this situation. It just doesn't create much of a problem for me and equipment upgrades in the future are near, where I wouldn't have the need to correct that problem. Almost anything is fixable if you study your situation and look for a fix, or ask questions on these forums. Some really knowledgeable people on these forums.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...