Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Hawaii D-TV Thread

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   USDSM Huskerlover

USDSM Huskerlover

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

Before I launch into my recent D-TV Hawaii woes, I was wondering if there is another thread where some of the issues that are common out here are discussed?

If there is not I'd like to see if anyone can help with a relatively common sense issue to the problems that we are having (we lost a buncha channels when we recently moved from 2 dishes to 1 dish).

Thanks in advance. GBR!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

Might as well start posting the problems.

Hopefully you do have the 1.2 meter dish.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

Welcome!

But you live in Hawaii. How can you have any woes? :D

#4 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

If you went from 2 dishes to 1, that second dish was probably seeing the satellites at 119 and 110. What channels did you lose?

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

If you went from 2 dishes to 1, that second dish was probably seeing the satellites at 119 and 110. What channels did you lose?

And remember for the Al-Hi dishes, if you remove the 110, 119 one you must operate the remaining 99, 101, and 103 one through a SWiM module otherwise you will eventually have guide error problems when viewing from the 103 satellites.

#6 OFFLINE   USDSM Huskerlover

USDSM Huskerlover

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:18 AM

This is pretty much why I registered here. You guys obviously know your stuff pretty well.

Here is the long story leading up to this. Skip this paragraph if you aren't interested in these gory details. We've had DTV in HI since 2004 when we moved here. We've had two of the 1.2 m dishes since I think 2009 when we were allowed to upgrade to the HDTV package and get the local channels. Since we went to the 2 dishes we do not ever lose our signal any more unless there is a huge downpour. The one dish is on the top of the house, above "habital area". I don't remember how I convinced the installer to go there but he did. The other was right below that one but on the overhang. They both face basically SE - where there is a hill/ mountain in our back yard- separating us from the ocean. We decided this fall to go to photovoltaic solar. I'll save you the issues there but leave it to say it makes a lot of sense in HI. When we finally agreed on a lay out on our roof, the dishes were going to cast a shadow on the panels and we can't have that so we had a guy out to look to see if we could move the dishes. He said yes and also said that we should be able to go to 1 dish. 1-2 months go by and we need to move the dishes. A new guy comes out and sez we can move and we can get down to one dish. Because of his egregious estimate ($4-500) we went with the DTV guy since he was $50 under the protection plan.

He gets here and moves the dish to the north end of the house. He puts a new LNB on and a new SWM (the device that adds power to the cable line- right?). There are channels missing. He soon figures out that there are a handful of channels missing from a satellite that we can't get any longer (as above 119 is one of them I believe). We lost our local channels and high def versions of several others (Fox News, HBO east, ESPN, 701 (sports mix, red-zone channel, Masters mix), and several others. However the only channels we actually lost were the locals.

The guy sez that is all they can do- he can put the dishes back and we have to reconfigure the solar panels or he can leave the dish where it is now and I have to watch non-HD a lot of the time. At first we had trouble getting the guide to work but that appears to have worked itself out. We get the LA ABC, CBS, FOX etc feeds (always have) but have lost the HD versions of those too.

That is where I am: My question is- is there anywhere to go from here? Can I do anything to get back the 119 satellite? If I put up another dish behind the other can I get the signal that I lost? I realize that there are some details that'd be useful that I can't give- how much of the horizon is blocked by the mountain and the trees on it, etc. However the top of the house and the overhang where the dish is now- the difference is 5-7 ft at the most. The dish pointing is approximately the same and is the lowest part of the mountain.

Thanks for any help that you can give- I can live with the channels we have now for the rest of the time we are here although it is a bit gauling to watch ESPN in SD and Fox news in SD when I can watch channels I have no interest in (Palladium etc) in HD. In addition the installer was pretty up front that DTV may move the signals to different sats without notice and I could lose channels without warning.

GBR!

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:00 AM

There are no HD channels on 119 save for a couple of Spanish ones.

But first could you explain what this "new LNB" is he installed? Since the focal points for the 1.2M AL/HI dish are further apart than on a standard Slimline, he should have used the same one in the original install as here for instance.

http://www.thesatell...waii-p-148.html.

The four outputs must then feed either a SWiM-8 or 16 external multiswitch for proper operation when used without the 110/119 companion dish.

On the satellite setup, place the LNB on SL-3 (non-SWM).

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

With a single dish, you should be getting signals from the 99/101/103 SAT locations.
All the HD is on the 99 & 103 SATs.
The elevation for the dish is around 25º.
The elevation for the 119 SAT is 42º, so should you want the SD channels off of it, as you should see it is higher in the sky and shouldn't be a problem.

Do you have four coax coming down from the dish?
If so, these should run to a SWM8, which is what needs the power inserter.

The next thing that may help is for you to go into the setup menu and read/list the numbers [from each transponder] you're getting for the SATs.

What you want to look at are:
99c
103ca
103cb
"For now" you can skip the SATs with an "s".

This should give us some idea for you.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   Mauiguy

Mauiguy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

I am on Maui, have the single dish, and get all of the HD and locals. Lost nothing when we converted from the two dish to the single. You need to call directv and get a competant installer.

#10 OFFLINE   USDSM Huskerlover

USDSM Huskerlover

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

Maybe it is the 110 satellite that I am missing and is therefore missing some of my HD broadcast?

I will have to take a look at the issues you have asked about above and get back when I get home from work tonight.

He completely replaced the LNB because at first we didn't think that the set-up worked at all since the channels we were using to test were all HD and randomly ones that had been left off with the new dish. He was a pretty diligent guy - he went through and replaced basically everything as he went along since he couldn't figure out why the signal strength was really good but the channels weren't coming through. I do not know what kind of LNB he put on though.

He did mention that I would definitely need a second dish if I really wanted some international programming and also the "Hope" channel- apparently another customer he had, this channel was a deal breaker for them.

Anyone know where the 110 is in the sky compared to the others?

Thanks again for all the help.

GBR!

#11 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

There is nothing on the 110 satellite at the moment, that I am aware of, except a couple slides, and a couple test channels.

If you are missing ANY HD channels, they will be on 99c, 103ca, or 103cb. No other HD channels are using any other satellites.

You can use the chart at the end of this thread to look up the channels you are missing, and it will tell you what satellite it is on.
If all the missing channels are from the same satellite, or the same polarity on the same satellite, then you have a bad LNB or he didnt aim your dish correctly.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203806

Edited by Davenlr, 09 May 2012 - 01:38 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#12 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

110 is not used at all for subscribers at this time, HD or SD.

Yes, when you get a chance post more info. about your system. Particularly the LNB type which should be (or like) the previous one, and whether or not four lines are coming from it to the inputs of a SWiM multiswitch.

#13 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

.. If you are missing ANY HD channels, they will be on 99c, 103ca, or 103cb. No other HD channels are using any other satellites. ...

Except for Spanish channels Telefutura West HD (Ch. 408) and Mega HD (Ch. 405) which use 119 on DIRECTV-7S transponder 24 ;)

#14 OFFLINE   USDSM Huskerlover

USDSM Huskerlover

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

So, thanks to the link from Davenir it appears that the 99 satellite is the problem:

Local HNL stations are on 99s - not currently coming in

I no longer get:
ESPN HD 99c
FoxNews HD 99c
CBSw HD 99c
NBCw HD 99c
ABCw HD 99c
Foxw HD 99c
HBOe HD 99c

I get:
ESPN SD 101
FoxNews SD 101
CBSw SD 101
NBCw SD 101
ABCw SD 101
Foxw SD 101
HBOe SD 101

Obviously there are others that seem familiar that we are no longer getting (TNT, TBS both HD but can't say with 100% certainty like those above.)

GBR!

#15 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

So, thanks to the link from Davenir it appears that the 99 satellite is the problem:

I no longer get:
ESPN HD 99c
FoxNews HD 99c
CBSw HD 99c
NBCw HD 99c
ABCw HD 99c
Foxw HD 99c
HBOe HD 99c

I get:
ESPN SD 101
FoxNews SD 101
CBSw SD 101
NBCw SD 101
ABCw SD 101
Foxw SD 101
HBOe SD 101

Obviously there are others that seem familiar that we are no longer getting (TNT, TBS both HD but can't say with 100% certainty like those above.)

GBR!

Could you post the signal strengths for the 99c satellite?

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

Except for Spanish channels Telefutura West HD (Ch. 408) and Mega HD (Ch. 405) which use 119 on DIRECTV-7S transponder 24 ;)

No Hablar Espanol :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

I no longer get:
ESPN HD 99c
FoxNews HD 99c
CBSw HD 99c
NBCw HD 99c
ABCw HD 99c
Foxw HD 99c
HBOe HD 99c

I get:
ESPN SD 101
FoxNews SD 101
CBSw SD 101
NBCw SD 101
ABCw SD 101
Foxw SD 101
HBOe SD 101

GBR!

Could you post the signal strengths for the 99c satellite?

Kevin

Yes, the next step is to get the transponder readings off both 101 & 99c, since they use the same coax.
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   USDSM Huskerlover

USDSM Huskerlover

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

Can someone point me to a link or a short explanation on where on the DTV menu I go to get those signal strengths? I was mucking about on there last night and couldn't find it.

Thanks.

GBR!

#19 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

Press Menu
Go to Settings & Help
Go to Settings
Go to Satellite
Go to View Signal Strength
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#20 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

Menu/Setting & Help/Setting/Satellite Dish Setup/View Signal Strength

spam firewall