Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Hawaii D-TV Thread

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:19 AM

Yuck! That all looks so used. My moneys on line of site, pick up one of these apps for your smart phone and start there.

http://www.dishpointer.com/
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

My moneys on line of site, pick up one of these apps for your smart phone and start there.

http://www.dishpointer.com/

I got the same feeling looking at this:

HALOS.jpg

The LNB on the left is for 103, which has an EL of 26.9°
The center is for 101, with an EL of 25.1°
The one on the right is for 99, with an EL of 23.4°, but is also pointing where the ridge is the highest.

Edited by veryoldschool, 11 May 2012 - 07:04 AM.

A.K.A VOS

#43 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,892 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

I got the same feeling looking at this:

[ATTACH]29128[/ATTACH]

The LNB on the left is for 103, which has an EL of 26.9°
The center is for 101, with an EL of 25.1°
The one on the right is for 99, with an EL of 23.4°, but is also pointing where the ridge is the highest.

Given that it is an offset dish though, with a typical bounce angle of between 22-25 degrees to the dish face. Wouldn't the dish actually be receiving at some point higher and to the left (or diagonally due to high tilt angle) of what it appears to be pointed to in the photo?

EDIT: Never mind, I just noticed your red line in the photo appears to be accounting for the offset angle.

#44 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

Given that it is an offset dish though, with a typical bounce angle of between 22-25 degrees to the dish face. Wouldn't the dish actually be receiving at some point higher and to the left (or diagonally due to high tilt angle) of what it appears to be pointed to in the photo?

It was merely a guess on my part with that red line to where the arc of the SATs actually is, but even if it's off by a few degrees, that ridge line still looks to be the problem with the 99 LOS.
A.K.A VOS

#45 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:15 AM

It was merely a guess on my part with that red line to where the arc of the SATs actually is, but even if it's off by a few degrees, that ridge line still looks to be the problem with the 99 LOS.

Correct, just noticed your inclusion of the red line and tried to edit my original post. Still wiping the sleep from my eyes here. :)

Better go for the coffee ... :coffee

#46 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:19 AM

No Hablar Espanol :)

Kekkuo Desu

#47 OFFLINE   Mauiguy

Mauiguy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

Pictures are a funny thing. Even funnier is when I go out into the back yard to loook at my dish as a result of those pictures. If I took a photo and posted it here, I am sure most folks would think I could not see the 99 bird. I even questioned the original installer because I am familiar with big dish operations and installations and did not think we could get LOS on it. from the location of the dish and mount. The bottom line is that it works.

There has been much speculation here about what is wrong with the OP's setup. The only way he is going to find out is to get a "decent qualified" installer to check the lines, LNB, dish alignment etc..

There is no substitute for a technician on the scene to correct the problem or to give him the death certificate for his set up. So I again urge the OP to call Directv and get one out there.... maybe even a supervisor????

Edited by Mauiguy, 11 May 2012 - 10:01 AM.
fix errors

#48 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

Pictures are a funny thing. Even funnier is when I go out into the back yard to loook at my dish as a result of those pictures. If I took a photo and posted it here, I am sure most folks would think I could not see the 99 bird. I even questioned the original installer because I am familiar with big dish operations and installations and did not think we could get LOS on it. from the location of the dish and mount. The bottom line is that it works.

There has been much speculation here about what is wrong with the OP's setup. The only way he is going to find out is to get a "decent qualified" installer to check the lines, LNB, dish alignment etc..

There is no substitute for a technician on the scene to correct the problem or to give him the death certificate for his set up. So I again urge the OP to call Directv and get one out there.... maybe even a supervisor????

Would guess the "last guy" had a meter that would only read the Ku SAT.
A.K.A VOS

#49 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

Particularly telling is that his spotbeam locals for HI. on 99(s) Tp. 17 and 18 which are normally very hot signals at 100 are 0.

The OP is getting nothing at all from DIRECTV-11.

#50 OFFLINE   USDSM Huskerlover

USDSM Huskerlover

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

I guess I am a bit confused as to where to go from here.

Can they off set the dish in the other direction to see if it will pick up the 99? Is there a way to see if he moved the dish back towards the road (and thus directly away from the hill) if that would help pick up the 99 by decreasing the angle off the horizon (without actually moving the dish to avoid more unecessary holes in my roof)?

I had been thinking about trying to mount a dish on a pole in a different part of the yard where the hill is not so high. I wouldn't be able to do a 1.2 m dish though- is there a way I could hook something up just to try to get at that 99?

Thanks again for all the help. I think that I am stuck as I sort of surmised.

GBR!

#51 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

I guess I am a bit confused as to where to go from here.

Can they off set the dish in the other direction to see if it will pick up the 99? Is there a way to see if he moved the dish back towards the road (and thus directly away from the hill) if that would help pick up the 99 by decreasing the angle off the horizon (without actually moving the dish to avoid more unecessary holes in my roof)?

I had been thinking about trying to mount a dish on a pole in a different part of the yard where the hill is not so high. I wouldn't be able to do a 1.2 m dish though- is there a way I could hook something up just to try to get at that 99?

Thanks again for all the help. I think that I am stuck as I sort of surmised.

GBR!

The location of the dish needs to be moved it looks like.
Part of the tools an installer should have is a tool to check the LOS "BEFORE" installing a dish.
Moving it higher may get you the LOS you need, but there isn't any "trick" tweaking the dish, other than moving it. If those trees/bushes on the hill are in line, then you should plan to have even more clearance as they'll grow.
A.K.A VOS

#52 OFFLINE   USDSM Huskerlover

USDSM Huskerlover

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

The guy that wanted to charge me $4-500 checked and said I had enough clearance to move the dish to that side of the house. The guy who actually did move the dish used some sort of device and said I had 2-3 degrees of clearance and that it should be ok. Unfortunately it appears that neither was right, in regards to the 99.

GBR!

#53 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

If you can get ahold of a camera tripod and a paper towel cardboard tube, just tape the tube on the tripod, stick an inclinometer on the tube and adjust it to the elevation of the 99 sat, and point it in the correct direction, then look through the tube. If you see anything except sky, move along to another location.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#54 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

The guy that wanted to charge me $4-500 checked and said I had enough clearance to move the dish to that side of the house. The guy who actually did move the dish used some sort of device and said I had 2-3 degrees of clearance and that it should be ok. Unfortunately it appears that neither was right, in regards to the 99.

GBR!

It sounds like they were sighting off the 101, and not the 99, but even then 2-3 degrees isn't the "normal" clearance.

If you have an android phone: http://www.dishpoint...d-app-released/
Or iPhone: http://itunes.apple....=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

http://www.youtube.c...v=5AFtcgYRcu4#!
A.K.A VOS

#55 OFFLINE   Mauiguy

Mauiguy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

GBR!

In the original post you mentioned that the "Directv guy" told you that you have about two to three degrees and "that should be" enough.

"Should be" not the answer to accept from Directv. When he points the dish he is supposed to use the correct meter in order to verify the signal before he leaves the job. The correct meter for the job will tell him if the signals are of sufficient strength.

You stated that you went with the Directv guy as he was under the protection plan. If you call Directv and complain about the service it seems to me that at least you will get someone to come out and explain why you cannot receive the signal.

Many of us are speculating as to why you are not getting anything from the 99 sat. It could be a bad LNB, it could be a bad wiring job, or an alignment problem. And it could be a Line of sight problem.

I do not believe that you will be able to resolve the issue unless you can personally verify each area as being correct. I would therefore recommend again that you call Directv and get someone out there who is qualified.

#56 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

Many of us are speculating as to why you are not getting anything from the 99 sat. It could be a bad LNB, it could be a bad wiring job, or an alignment problem. And it could be a Line of sight problem.

While we are "speculating", there are a few valid pointers:

• Yes, a bad LNB could be the cause.
  • Wiring looks not to be the case "as much", since it would need to be a problem with both the 13 & 18 volt coax, "and" the same coax is working for the 101 SAT.
  • Alignment seems unlikely too, because 101 & 103 are getting signals.
  • While it's not "for sure" the LOS is the problem, looking at the photo posted, does suggest it is the most likely cause.

A.K.A VOS

#57 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:37 AM

Why dont u just call directv and have someone come out and resolve the issue instead of driving yourself nuts trying to figure out what is wrong. That's what they are there for.

#58 OFFLINE   Mauiguy

Mauiguy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

While we are "speculating", there are a few valid pointers:

[*]While it's not "for sure" the LOS is the problem, looking at the photo posted, does suggest it is the most likely cause.
[/LIST]

I believe I said that the Line of sight was a possibility.

So the OP has a choice. He can look at a picture and decide that the line on it tells him that there is no way he can get the signal from that position, or he can call Directv, which has been the point of my posts....

#59 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

I believe I said that the Line of sight was a possibility.

So the OP has a choice. He can look at a picture and decide that the line on it tells him that there is no way he can get the signal from that position, or he can call Directv, which has been the point of my posts....

I think we're all trying to help, and have offered a few options to look into.
It seems like one or more installers haven't been as helpful as they could have been, so I can understand why he may have been looking for help here.
A.K.A VOS

#60 OFFLINE   Mauiguy

Mauiguy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

Ok.

spam firewall