Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM signal levels

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,120 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

I was just speaking with my Dad who said he has been having a couple of issues with an HR23 (unexplained 771B).

his set-up: SL3 (3 lnb dish) connected to a SWM-8 (4-wires from dish to SWM)with an HR23-700 and HR22-100.
NO OTA, NO DECA
Output 1 connected to the PI and then the HR23
Output 2 connected to the HR22

One of the first things I had him do was to check his signal levels. All the levels are fantastic (matter of fact, I wish mine were as good) but when we got to the SWM mode, He mentioned that #8 was a zero. I had him go into the other room and check the levels there and again everything was great except he had a zero on #4 (#8 was 100).

I have currently suggested using one of the green 2 way splitters I sent home with him during his last visit and connect both receivers to the same output and terminate the PI ad see if that fixes this odd 771B error.

I am not seeing this type of behavior on my system with SWM-16's so my question here is if this is normal behavior or if signs of a failing SWM. I called DirecTV and spoke to a tech on his behalf and there only solution was to reauthorize the system and set-up a service call.

FYI, his system has been working perfectly for at least 2 years without a problem. The only change he made was replacing a SD receiver with the HR23 just before Christmas..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,654 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

What you're seeing on the SWM screen and the zero(s) are the channels in use by the other receiver(s).
You'd need to have every receiver on the setup/SAT screens to free up the channels and not read zeros.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,120 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

What you're seeing on the SWM screen and the zero(s) are the channels in use by the other receiver(s).
You'd need to have every receiver on the setup/SAT screens to free up the channels and not read zeros.

in other words, it's OK to see zeros on this screen ;)

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,654 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

in other words, it's OK to see zeros on this screen ;)

While I will go so far as to say they're "normal", "OK" would only come after all the receivers were put on the same screen and there were no zeros shown, as a "sanity check".
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,120 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

I'll have him try that and see what happens.

Thank You

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#6 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

771B usually means the SWM is over subscribed. With only 2 HD/DVRs connected, it is not normal to see 0s past channel 5. Does he live in a location where someone could have piggybacked off his switch?
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#7 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,120 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

771B usually means the SWM is over subscribed. With only 2 HD/DVRs connected, it is not normal to see 0s past channel 5. Does he live in a location where someone could have piggybacked off his switch?

He lives in a single family residence in a retirement community (individual homes spaced extremely close together and all with faux grass (rock painted green)). the homes on each side of him are family (mom's sisters) so I would have to say chances are unlikely.

I have heard that same thing many times but there was a time when I was getting 771B and the only thing on one of my SWM-16 was an HR34 and a H25. When all was said and done, the problem turned out to be a faulty splitter. Since he does not have whole-home, there was no splitters to rule out this time. ;)

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#8 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:36 AM

771B actually means the receiver was able to get its first channel from the SWM, but was unable to get it's second(Or 3rd, 4th, or 5th in the case of an HR34). First thing to try is unplugging both receivers and the pi. Wait a few seconds. Plug in the PI and then each receiver one by one.

It could also be a connector, cable, switch, IRD, etc. issue. If nothing can be found to fix and he ends up needing a service call, you can set the receiver to a single tuner to avoid the message while he waits.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#9 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

Is it possible that the coax to the HR23 is connected to the wrong Sat Input? There are two Sat inputs, but only one is used if you have a SWM. What happens if you connect the coax to the other input?

spam firewall