Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TV2 UHF remote signal repeater

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

I have a VIP 222K receiver, but this would probably apply to any dual receiver with a UHF TV2 remote. I have struggled with poor remote signal strength since I got this receiver. I got it somewhat better by changing the remote frequency, but it is still marginal from where I have the 2nd television located. I have to hold the remote over my head aimed at a certain point in the hallway to get the receiver to respond to the remote. I have already replaced the batteries numerous times and extended the receiver remote antenna up near the ceiling to get it away from the cabinet the receiver is located in.

My question is, has anyone found a UHF signal repeater gadget that I could place roughly half way between the 2nd TV location and the DISH receiver at the far end of the house? IR repeaters seem to be available all over. But I can not find anything that will receive the remote UHF signal, and boost the strength to re-transmit to the receiver.

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

You can place a UHF antenna in the same room with TV2 and either run a coaxial cable back to the back of the receiver or diplex it into the cable line running to the TV from the TV2 output.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 561 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

remotebackfeed.jpg

Like this. I don't believe the attenuator is needed, but I could be wrong

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#4 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

[ATTACH]29108[/ATTACH]

Technically it is required to prevent the broadcast of the TV2 RF signal over the air.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#5 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

[ATTACH]29108[/ATTACH]

I tried something very similar to this, but in my situation it did not work. Due to the long coax run from the Dish receiver to TV2, I had to add a signal amplifier in the line. The amplifier effectively blocked the feedback from the remote to the receiver through the coax.

#6 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

You can place a UHF antenna in the same room with TV2 and either run a coaxial cable back to the back of the receiver......

This is a possibility that I had not thought of. It would require adding another long coax run with possible addition of a signal amplifier to boost it on its way. I would not even have to run the coax into the room where TV2 is located. I could just place the remote antenna in the attic above the room and run the coax back from there. Thanks for the idea....

Edited by EdJ, 09 May 2012 - 09:29 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

Other diagrams are at http://www.dishuser.org/uhfextend.php
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#8 OFFLINE   MrDave

MrDave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:21 AM

Here's what worked for me. I took a piece of coax about 25 feet long and routed it from my equipment cabinet to a more centrally located part of my house. From the end of the coax, I stripped about 7 inches of the shield, allowing the center conductor to perform as an antenna roughly equivalent to the screw-on metal UHF antenna. It worked well, so I then stripped an additional 7 inches, giving me effectively a "double-length" antenna. It seemed to work even better.

I didn't get too excited about antenna placement. Mine is in the basement amongst the floor joists. I think it would work equally well in the attic, laid along a baseboard, or under a piece of furniture. The key idea is to put it in a place more accessible to your remote's signal. Experiment to find the best location.

Back at the cabinet end, I actually split my coax with a standard splitter and feed the UHF antenna inputs of two separate DVRs. With this system I can easily control both DVRs from anywhere in the house.

This "double length" antenna works great. It would probably be even more effective if I only fed one DVR. Would a "triple length" antenna work even better?... maybe. Don't be afraid to experiment. Good luck!

#9 OFFLINE   drjake

drjake

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

Another simple trick is to replace the included cheap antenna with a powered Amplified UHF TV antenna. You can pick one up at Walmart, Radio Shack, etc for pretty cheap.
Drjake

#10 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

Like others have pointed out we have had good success in moving the antenna to a more central location so the UHF remote can be further from the receiver. First did this like 15 years ago on one of the early Dish receivers that had UHF ability. We also do this today in lobby/bar like installs where HDMI extenders are used where we pull those coax/cat5 bundles and just put the supplied UHF antenna behind the set with a barrel splice.

#11 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

I just tried using a long coax that runs from the receiver through the attic and ends over the room where TV2 is located. I placed the 'standard' little remote antenna at the end of the coax and it works like a charm. No more reaching over my head aiming at some point in the hall or cussing as I walk half way down the hall to change the channel.

Now I can comfortably sit in my chair and just press the remote button and get instant response.... :righton: :joy:

Thank you one and all for the ideas that got this TV2 remote working like it should. :bowdown:

spam firewall