Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Just called to get the "movers deal"

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bubbagumper6

bubbagumper6

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

I have 1 HDDVR and 1 regular HD receiver and the D* rep gave me a "free" upgrade on my reg receiver to another DVR. However I realize the upgrade was just to get me under another 24 month contract. Was that a good idea or should I have said no to the upgrade in favor of going month to month?

I'm also getting $10 off a month for ordering my AT&T dsl through their bundle department at the same time however that doesn't come until months 13-24 (kinda weird). Dunno if I would still get that without the new contract...thoughts?

I signed a 24 month lease at my new place so it's not like I'll be moving or anything before the D* contract is up and I don't have any complaints with them so...

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

It is worth the 24 Month commitment to me for another DVR instead of a standard receiver.

If you are happy with the free upgrade then it was a good deal.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

"Movers Connection" now requires a 12 month commitment regardless of you taking a reveiver so if you got a free DVR then I would be happy to extend 24 instead of 12 if you plan on staying anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   bubbagumper6

bubbagumper6

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

Someone else said doing the movers deal does NOT require a contract extension?

#5 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

At one point in time that was true but as of now it does require 12 month extention and 24 month if you take an advanced receiver upgrade.

#6 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

it does now for most cases
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#7 OFFLINE   bubbagumper6

bubbagumper6

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

Yeah I guess it's not a big deal then. I don't really record a TON of shows but being able to pause/rewind live TV sure is nice...

My order confirm says relocate existing hd dvr ird, relocate existing hd ird, and directv plus hd dvr so maybe they'll let me keep the old hd receiver for free? hehe, guy can hope

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

What model is the receiver?

#9 OFFLINE   bubbagumper6

bubbagumper6

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

What model is the receiver?

I don't know, she didn't say...but I just now heard about the new HMC receivers and am wondering if instead of upgrading my hd receiver to a dvr if they'll let me upgrade my dvr to an hmc...seems like that would be a way more useful upgrade eh?

#10 OFFLINE   bubbagumper6

bubbagumper6

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

Also what the heck should I do with my old dish? My landlord won't give me my deposit back if I leave it so I have to remove it and do something with it...is it worth anything or should I just throw it away? D* said they didn't want it back, lol

#11 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,911 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:28 AM

Also what the heck should I do with my old dish? My landlord won't give me my deposit back if I leave it so I have to remove it and do something with it...is it worth anything or should I just throw it away? D* said they didn't want it back, lol

To appease your landlord remove the dish and take it to a recycling center.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#12 OFFLINE   bubbagumper6

bubbagumper6

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

Just called them back to see if I could somehow get the new HR34 Home Media Center DVR but the "best" he could do was $399...psh yeah right

#13 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

Maybe put it on craiglist or ebay, depending on what kind of dish/LNB it is you might be able to make some decent money. Or you can just give it away if you want. If you were near me I'd be interested in it if it were a Slimline dish with SWM LNB.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#14 OFFLINE   deadfred556

deadfred556

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

does any one know with the direct movers deal how you get the 60in tv free for the commersal

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,332 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:55 PM

does any one know with the direct movers deal how you get the 60in tv free for the commersal

when has DirecTV advertised a freeTV with the mover's program?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

That sucks that you get 1 year contract for moving,  especially if your contract got renewed for a recent upgrade.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,332 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

That sucks that you get 1 year contract for moving, especially if your contract got renewed for a recent upgrade.

if you are currently under contract because you had a recent upgrade, a movers contract shouldn't matter since is only one year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:45 PM

Right, contracts aren't consecutive, they are concurrent. So if you are 6 months into a two year contract for equipment, then get a one year movers contract, you essentially still are just under the original contract with 1.5 years remaining. It doesn't increase the ETF penalty. 

Now, if you had 11 months remaining on a 2 year contract, the movers would increase your contract length by a month. So basically the contract is whichever ends last.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...