Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol (Top 4) - 05/09/2012

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: Who were YOUR favorites tonight?! (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Who were YOUR favorites tonight?!

1. Hollie Cavanagh (8 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Jessica Sanchez (12 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Joshua Ledet (10 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. Phillip Phillips (10 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,099 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: - you're joking, right?

Not even close to joking.

People laughed when I said there was going to be a big surprise last week and poof...Skylar was gone.

Ya never know...anyone could go. ;)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

Spoiler

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#23 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

Not even close to joking.

People laughed when I said there was going to be a big surprise last week and poof...Skylar was gone.

Ya never know...anyone could go. ;)

Thing is, Skylar's elimination was not a surprise.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#24 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,099 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

To many people it was..including 2 of the 3 judges who were interviewed after the show.

#25 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

To many people it was..including 2 of the 3 judges who were interviewed after the show.

Randy predicted her in the Top 3...

She was my least favorite of the contestants when she went home, but I've been sad by every elimination since the Top 7.

~Alan

#26 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

Well... no big surprises tonight, and it appears that the final three are pretty much who I expected them to be.

Next week... I don't think anybody's safe!

~Alan

#27 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,099 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:54 AM

Randy predicted her in the Top 3...

She was my least favorite of the contestants when she went home, but I've been sad by every elimination since the Top 7.

It's a tougher year this season with some stronger competition for sure.

Well... no big surprises tonight, and it appears that the final three are pretty much who I expected them to be.

Next week... I don't think anybody's safe!

I was glad to see Phillip there looking much better than the previous night.

#28 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

[Our wishes and prayers go to Phillip.]

You're right Alen, going forward will be a rollercoaster ride for some of us. I still think J-or-J will be the number one and two pair, but as the Phillip health issue gets wider coverage, who knows?

Hollie's elimination was no surprise. It was a given in our living room that she was going home. We really like her ... but the truth is that she doesn't have the stage presence the other three enjoy. Had she survived the vote, it would have been a "Pia Moment".

As hdtvfan0001 says, this season has seen a lot of talent and it has made for a tough competition.

Edited by Henry, 11 May 2012 - 12:58 PM.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#29 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

I was glad to see Phillip there looking much better than the previous night.

I thought he looked pretty good both nights... far superior to last week. He looked like he had NO energy at all then...

~Alan

#30 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

You're right Alen, going forward will be a rollercoaster ride for some of us. I still think J-or-J will be the number one and two pair, but as the Phillip health issue gets wider coverage, who knows?

Randy has predicted Phillip and Joshua for the final two... which is a change considering he previously didn't think Joshua would make the final three when Skylar was still in the competition. His reasoning for thinking Jessica might not make it to the final two was because she was already saved from elimination.

Personally... if only one of the J's make it, I'd expect it to be Jessica, but you never know....

Hollie's elimination was no surprise. It was a given in our living room that she was going home. We really like her ... but the truth is that she doesn't have the stage presence the other three enjoy. Had she survived the vote, it would have been a "Pia Moment".

I'm not sure I would call Phillip at this point a "Pia Moment", but the two J's... sure!

She struggled a lot, but she was getting better. I was tearing up watching her watch her video... prior to her smiling anyway.

~Alan

#31 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

For her fans:

'American Idol': Hollie Cavanagh on her elimination - 'I just kind of knew'

~Alan

#32 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

Lee County will be proclaiming tomorrow Phillip Phillips day (that happens to the Top 3 every year of course)...

State Representative Ed Rynders will be presenting Phillip with a similar proclamation from Governor Deal (I believe he's still Governor anyway... LOL!!). Shame the recently retired Bob Hanner couldn't have done it... that would have been COOL!!

He'll be arriving tonight at 10:00 EDT...

According to the Chamber of Commerce, people from all over the state and country have been calling about attending and 20,000 to 25,000 people are expected tomorrow!

~Alan

#33 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

Jennifer Lopez is in Albany... guess we know who is going to pick Phillip's song this coming week...

Ironic considering the guy who co-wrote "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" is from Albany...

~Alan

#34 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

Jennifer Lopez is in Albany... guess we know who is going to pick Phillip's song this coming week...

Just a rumor apparently...

The parade and concert was two hours late...

I'll post pictures later on! :)

~Alan

#35 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

I'll have more to talk about later... I'm EXHAUSTED!!!

Posted Image

#36 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

OK...

So... while Phillip was expected to arrive at the Albany airport at 10:00 on Friday night, he was actually several hours earlier. Around 300 or so folks were there... a good portion of them girls/women... most of whom professed their love or proposed marriage on their signs. He did a TV spot with WFXL FOX 31, and then signed autographs for hours. During his interview, he confirmed he's never had a parade before... this was indeed the first PP parade, and stated that he didn't know what to expect as everyone in the competition is SO different in their styles...

That night, rumors spread around town that J.Lo was in town as well and rented out the WHOLE Hilton hotel, but other rumors started floating around town from people who stated they spotted Steven Tyler, and the news even mentioned Randy Jackson. Apparently, this was all rumors because none were present at the concert where they were expected to be...

The Lee County Chamber of Commerce and others were getting calls from Texas, Maryland, etc. about coming, and the estimates being thrown around were between 20,000 to 30,000 folks. El Maya (that Phillip and Ryan spoke about last week) was being inundated with calls asking for reservations for Saturday in case Phillip showed up even though El Maya doesn't do reservations...

I went with my Mom and Uncle (my Aunt didn't want to deal with the crowds, and my Cousin who would have liked to have been there was at the lake with her kids and husband). We left the house around 1:15 P.M. to get an early start on the parade which was supposed to start at 2:00. We turned on this one street headed to the High School and it was backed up with cars, so we parked... though we later found there were multiple places to park closer up... oh well! We found a spot near the first entrance to the high school and met a nice lady who let us lean on her car... which was fantastic given the long wait ahead of us.

Phillip's morning was busy... starting with a radio interview at Cumulus broadcasting, a trip to his father's pawn store, a private concert at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital for the sick children, and a trip to El Maya restaurant of course.

I've heard different rumors as to WHY the parade/concert was so late, including Phillip's schedule forcing things to be pushed back, and one politician at the concert commented on it being HIS fault, though I think that was a joke... but the reason given on the local news was that it had to do with AI's schedule...

Around 4:12, the parade started, though I think it was shortened from it's earlier planned length. Given the crowds and all, I was shocked that we were so close to the car with him coming through... so as the car was passing me, I followed him and the car as it continued it's trek into the driveway to the ball field. I was armed with my Samsung Fascinate which doesn't have the BEST camera compared to some phones, but makes a pretty decent picture when you don't use the zoom. It also doesn't have the best reaction time between shots, and for some reason it was acting up worse than usual, which coupled with watching where I was going, and the occasional person's head popping in the way, I missed out on a lot of photos I COULD have gotten. I managed to get a few decent shots of him though.

Being so extremely close to the car, I managed to have a little interaction with Phillip. I almost thought he was going to shake my hand, but between the Sheriff (or deputy) walking beside me and his father beside him in the car, I was hesitant to put my arm up, and I think he thought better of it too, so we exchanged a smile and a head nod. I'm not one of these people that get into the "famous" thing. To me, celebrities are just people doing a job, but I must admit that I still found it VERY cool to have this exchange with someone who I watch weekly on TV, and is such a topic of discussion at home and at work these past few months, as well as on here.

The car went into a driveway to the stage and was locked, so I met up with my family who was with me in the field. It wasn't super close to the stage, but it was dead center, so we had a fair view of the stage.

People did sound checks on stage, and started getting ready for the concert... some good music on the radio, but after the long wait, it seemed like forever. This guy came on stage and was trying to get people to back up from the stage as they were too close and he wanted them to give more room to the handicapped people up front in wheelchairs. He stated that this was going to be on national television and he wanted everybody to get a positive (:rolleyes:) vision of the Leesburg, GA and the South in general. He kept telling people to back up three or four times every couple of minutes, and finally a cop or sherriff's deputy must have been directing people, because he mentioned something about listening this time because the man down there had a gun. A statement that prompted a man standing next to us bring up the fact that probably at least 50 of the people in the front had one as well (!rolling). Later I saw a picture and noticed it was mainly young girls, so possibly only 25 or so had guns... LOL!! ;) :D

Finally, Phillip took the stage! He thanked everybody, told them how overwhelmed he was, etc. A local music store owner gave Phillip a new guitar on behalf of them and Yamaha. Phillip gave his brother-in-law Ben a ticket to the finale for encouraging his music. It being an election year, and the crowd already being inundated with the Sheriff's campaign signs and reminders that he's up for election, we then began the politicos making their rounds. The Leesburg mayor presenting Phillip with the key to the city, proclaiming it Phillip Phillips day, his own sign (Lee County already has signs proclaiming them the home of Luke Bryan and Buster Posey... some people have been adding cardboard signs with Phillip's name on them to those). Then came State Rep. Ed Rynders (who joked he was the reason the parade/concert was late) who stated the Governor proclaimed it Phillip Phillips Day in Georgia. Then came Congressman Sanford Bishop who presented him a plaque and bragged on him. I could have some of the order mixed up, but you get the picture...

He performed "Superstition", "Still Rainin'", "Nice And Slow", "Thriller", "Volcano", and "Along The Watchtower."

His sisters performed harmonies for one song, and his brothers-in-law were two of his band members. His brother-in-law Ben was of course performing with him on AI recently. There were three other members of the band... and while they were all good, I have to give MAJOR props to the guy playing the saxophone. I've never seen a saxophone performed live, but I still have to say, he was FANTASTIC!! I heard/read other people who said the same... definitely impressive! Those who believe he's a DMB copycat will probably get a kick out of him singing it as DMB does it in concert. Apparently, Phillip's band wanted to play it...

A couple of comments on his performances:

• I saw a different side of Phillip during the concert. I think he comes off superior in concert than he does on AI... I know others who felt the same way. I've seen several concerts in my day (Kinchafoonee Cowboys/Lee Roy Parnell/Billy Ray Cyrus, Pam Tillis/Alan Jackson, and Tim McGraw/Diamond Rio/Sawyer Brown) and he held his own with the best of them.
  • I heard a different side of Phillip during the concert as well. There were layers to his voice that surprised me. I've repeatedly stated for weeks that he is the weakest vocally. That hasn't changed, but I (and others) had our opinions changed of his vocal prowess. He's better than we gave him credit for...

The show is now over... or is it? Turns out, one of the presentation scenes at the beginning needed to be re-filmed... so everybody act surprised... LOL!!

The news had footage later with three people from Louisiana who drove for the homecoming. One of the two younger girls stated that she was the love of Phillips life, he just didn't know it yet, or he was the love of her life and he didn't know it yet. Either way, his girlfriend of three years probably disagrees... ;) Personally, I saw license plates from Illinois and Ohio among other closer states. They interviewed some more of his family on TV as well... including his cousin who came down from Tennessee who stated that all the girls in her dorm have Phillip pictures hanging on their walls.

I've heard varying numbers about the amount of people there. Somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 is the number most agree on. I know many people who didn't want to go due to the crowd. Sadly, due to the lateness of the parade, some people had to leave early, so the numbers dwindled as the day went on. The schedule should have been handled better... :(

Phillip left Albany around 10:00 that night...

A couple of parting comments:
  • It was a good crowd! Aside from one teen girl with a foul mouth who was with two fellow teen boys who were possibly trying to make a political statement, one possibly drunk boy, and one pervy old man (who I'll get back to in a minute) of course! Nothing's ever perfect! ;) While girls/women were the definite majority, there was a GOOD gender mix, a good age mix, and surprisingly for this area which is very segregated in many ways, a fairly decent racial mix. VERY NICE... :)
  • It's possible I misjudged the guy and he was with the media (or even an individual) trying to get a shot of the crowd's excitement... which this girl was a prime example of, but I don't buy it. There was a young girl... I estimate around 18-19 myself... very attractive girl for sure. She was holding a sign for Phillip and jumping up and down when this guy walks by her holding his cell phone up as he's walking by her... as soon as he passes her, he stops holding his cell phone up. :mad:
  • Which led me to my next comment. I knew that a P2 concert would have a lot of young girls screaming over Phillip... but shame on a couple of parents for letting their daughters dress like that in public.

For a small portion of the parade route, and as Phillip's car was headed into the school, I was either on the sidelines or right beside the car, and the cameraman had the camera aimed on my area (and me) multiple times, so unless I get cut in the editing room, I may VERY well be on the show Wednesday or Thursday night. As an aside, I hope the two guys who ran behind Phillips' car and screamed they were his cousin do NOT make it on the show, the boy who was mocking the girls screaming and proposals by making a proposal himself makes it on the show, and that above all else, I don't look like a complete fool if I do make it on the show... ;)

I'll add a couple more pictures later when I get off work...

~Alan

#37 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

I've heard different rumors as to WHY the parade/concert was so late, including Phillip's schedule forcing things to be pushed back, and one politician at the concert commented on it being HIS fault, though I think that was a joke... but the reason given on the local news was that it had to do with AI's schedule...

Phillip's sister Ladonna stated again in an interview today that the hang-up was indeed AI.

I've heard varying numbers about the amount of people there. Somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 is the number most agree on. I know many people who didn't want to go due to the crowd. Sadly, due to the lateness of the parade, some people had to leave early, so the numbers dwindled as the day went on. The schedule should have been handled better... :(

The official estimate is indeed between 15,000 and 20,000... but falling on the low end of the estimate.

It was estimated to have brought in over $500,000.00 in revenue for the city of Albany and Lee County.

~Alan

#38 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

[...]Around 4:12, the parade started, though I think it was shortened from it's earlier planned length. Given the crowds and all, I was shocked that we were so close to the car with him coming through... so as the car was passing me, I followed him and the car as it continued it's trek into the driveway to the ball field. I was armed with my Samsung Fascinate which doesn't have the BEST camera compared to some phones, but makes a pretty decent picture when you don't use the zoom. It also doesn't have the best reaction time between shots, and for some reason it was acting up worse than usual, which coupled with watching where I was going, and the occasional person's head popping in the way, I missed out on a lot of photos I COULD have gotten. I managed to get a few decent shots of him though. [...]

[...]I'll add a couple more pictures later when I get off work... [...]

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image http://i614.photobuc...05-12161914.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12162120.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12162133.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12162144.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12162159.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12162706.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12162710.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12162714.jpg

#39 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image http://i614.photobuc...05-12175048.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12175054.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12175059.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12175106.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12175112.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12175301.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12175306.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12175313.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12175316.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12175637.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12175649.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12175653.jpg http://i614.photobuc...05-12175656.jpg

Better late than never... :rolleyes:

~Alan

#40 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

Set list revealed....

Spoiler