Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper AUTO Hop Feature

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   leier911

leier911

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

Is this out yet or has anyone tried this? Is it just a push to fast forward like any other, or is this something that will just delete commercials for you. Doesn't seem like anything I can't just do myself with another rec. (push the skip button a couple times) Just was wondering if anyone has tried it yet.

http://news.cnet.com...mncol;cnetRiver

PRESS RELEASE:

DISH Introduces Commercial-Free TV With "Auto Hop"

ENGLEWOOD, CO--(Marketwire - May 10, 2012) - DISH (NASDAQ: DISH) satellite subscribers will now get the feature viewers have been waiting for since the beginning of television -- the choice to automatically skip over commercials. The new "Auto Hop" capability for the Hopper whole-home HD DVR system is being activated today, and it allows customers to skip all commercials for most recorded primetime HD programs shown on ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC when viewed the day after airing.

"Viewers love to skip commercials," said Vivek Khemka, vice president of DISH Product Management. "With the Auto Hop capability of the Hopper, watching your favorite shows commercial-free is easier than ever before. It's a revolutionary development that no other company offers and it's something that sets Hopper above the competition."

DISH is the nation's third-largest pay-TV provider, delivering TV service to millions of families nationwide. DISH launched the Hopper whole-home HD DVR system in mid-March, giving viewers the ability to record up to six shows at once while playing back HD content in up to four rooms.

"Auto Hop" is an extension of the Hopper's PrimeTime Anytime™ capability, the exclusive feature that allows viewers, with one click, to record all of the primetime TV programming on ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC in HD -- the networks that deliver some of the most popular shows during primetime.

The Hopper automatically stores these shows for eight days after they have aired, creating an on-demand library of approximately 100 hours of primetime TV shows, and making it easy to access episodes from last night, or last week.

"The magic of PrimeTime Anytime is that it allows DISH subscribers to catch up on all primetime shows, including episodes recorded over the past week and recommended by friends, family, and co-workers after they've already been broadcast," said Khemka. "With Hopper, you have access to all primetime HD programs broadcast by the four major networks. Now you can watch many of those shows commercial-free, with Auto Hop."

Auto Hop, using patented technology, works with most shows recorded using PrimeTime Anytime (patent pending). A viewer can watch a show with the Auto Hop option commercial-free starting at 1 a.m. ET, after a show has been recorded to the Hopper's PrimeTime Anytime library. Prior to that, The Hopper's 30-second "hop forward" feature continues to work for same-day viewing.

Auto Hop does not work on live broadcasts.

Lauded by reviewers as the best whole-home DVR for its intuitive user interface, never-before-seen features and reasonable pricing, the Hopper whole-home HD DVR system makes it easy to enjoy HD programs in multiple rooms. PCMagazine named the Hopper an "Editor's Choice" among DVR products and calls the award-winning and innovative Hopper "one of the best DVRs we've ever seen."

ENGADGET has similar praise for the Hopper and the PrimeTime Anytime feature "because it allows us to discover shows anytime after they first aired, so if you learn of a great new show while wasting time at the water cooler, it isn't too late to go home and watch it or choose to save it for a later viewing. It's a step towards a future where we can watch whatever we want without having to plan in advance or consult a list to make sure our shows will be recorded. What else can we say? It just works."

For more information about the award-winning Hopper and Joey by DISH, including technical specifications, please visit www.dish.com/hopper.

Hopper and Joey images are available at http://press.dishnet...r/Photo-Library.

About DISH Network
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides more than 14 million satellite TV customers with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

It should become active TODAY so after 1:00 am tomorrow morning it should work on tonight's PTA programming.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#3 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Hot Diggity!!! :goodjob:

#4 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

It's active, I just started a recording from last night and a box popped up on the screen saying I could hop over the commercials for this event. I will know shortly how well it works.
This is also an event I had saved to my partition.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#5 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

My ReplayTV had that built in 14 years ago. Sometimes worked right, sometimes not. Maybe this will work better. Too bad it's only available on PTAT.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

The thing that probably allows Dish to do this... is that it doesn't work until the next day, and only on the PTA stuff not live/paused TV.

Once you DVR something, you don't count for ratings and ad dollars anyway because they figure you skip commercials... so allowing you to auto-skip them the next day probably wasn't that hard to get the networks on-board to allow.

Otherwise, you could expect hissy-fits the next time any LiLs are up for negotiation.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,027 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Just a guess on my part but I'm thinking that Dish is monitoring the network programming that makes up PTAT and then pushing down times to the Hoppers when commercial breaks occur so the box knows when to skip. That's why it's limited to only PTAT and doesn't include your local news or sports that might end up duing PTAT hours. That's different then Replay since the local box was watching for the transitions to black between programming and commercials IIRC.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

The thing that probably allows Dish to do this... is that it doesn't work until the next day, and only on the PTA stuff not live/paused TV.

Once you DVR something, you don't count for ratings and ad dollars anyway because they figure you skip commercials... so allowing you to auto-skip them the next day probably wasn't that hard to get the networks on-board to allow.

Otherwise, you could expect hissy-fits the next time any LiLs are up for negotiation.

Expect hissy-fits. It will have an interesting near-future effect on the narrative surrounding ratings if it works. Networks could with a straight face tell advertisers push-button skipping doesn't really hurt because their ads would not have worked with the "skippers."

And live+same day isn't the only numbers in the narrative. They already are seriously looking at 3-day commercial viewing numbers.

I don't think for one minute Dish told Fox about this in their most recent contract negotiations. It is more like Dish will be telling News Corp suits, "Hey, you're getting your $1 and your local affiliate is getting XX¢ which far more in retrans fees than most cable channels get. So shut up and figure out how to compete with USA and FX."

Edited by phrelin, 10 May 2012 - 10:44 AM.
typo

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#9 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

I just clicked on a couple of PTAT programs recorded last night, selected "Start Over" and the next message that came up was a request to use Autohop (Yes/No). It appeared to skip through commercials instantly. I did not watch for very long.

I suspect that this feature will prove popular with users and unpopular with the corporations that own the networks.

#10 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

Expect hissy-fits. It will have an interesting near-future effect on the narrative surrounding ratings if it works. Networks could with a straight face tell advertisers push-button skipping doesn't really hurt because their ads would not have worked with the "skippers."

And live+same day isn't the only numbers in the narrative. They already are seriously looking at 3-day commercial viewing numbers.

I don't think for one minute Dish told Fox about this in their most recent contract negotiations. It is more like Dish will be telling News Corp suits, "Hey, you're getting your $1 and your local affiliate is getting XX¢ which far more in retrans fees than most cable channels get. So shut up and figure out how to compete with USA and FX."

I agree. Imo if they want to stop features like this, they should also have to drop retransmission fees. But it seems likely that now they will try charging more to any provider who offers auto-skipping.

Neat feature though, and good for Dish for having the balls to do it. I wish D* would offer something similar.

#11 OFFLINE   airedale

airedale

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

Many of you may have not had ReplayTVs back in the day, but like another poster said, this feature was there. I believe up until the 4500 series units. It has been awhile, so my memory is a bit foggy.

I do believe there were a bunch of lawsuits and ultimately in the 5K units, they took the functionality out.

If someone has better memory than me on this subject, maybe you can clarify this a bit.

#12 OFFLINE   rgranberry

rgranberry

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

Works great. Will save wear and tear on skip fwd/back buttons. Nice to be able to watch whole show without holding/reaching for remote.

Thanks Dish.

#13 OFFLINE   barken

barken

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

Works great. Will save wear and tear on skip fwd/back buttons. Nice to be able to watch whole show without holding/reaching for remote.

Tried it out on a show recorded last night. Great feature! I agree about not holding the remote, although, when I'm watching a network show on Netflix and it goes black where a commerical would be, I still unconsciously reach for the remote. Must be one of Pavlov's dogs!

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

Ok, I thought PTA was the "killer feature". This addition makes it even better.

I do wonder if the lawsuit by the broadcasters will be filed this week or next week. :)

#15 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Just tried it on last night's CSI.
I almost had an... well, you know. ;)

#16 OFFLINE   grover517

grover517

AllStar

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

Many of you may have not had ReplayTVs back in the day, but like another poster said, this feature was there. I believe up until the 4500 series units. It has been awhile, so my memory is a bit foggy.

I do believe there were a bunch of lawsuits and ultimately in the 5K units, they took the functionality out.

If someone has better memory than me on this subject, maybe you can clarify this a bit.

The commercial skip functionality was removed in the last series of ReplayTV's produced (55xx series) as well as the interent show sharing capabilities these units had, but the damage had already been done to the company in trying to defend their technology. The company was forced out of business shortly after losing those lawsuits. I also believe that these issues were what really started the push to completely close the analog hole.

It will be interesting to see if Dish somehow appeases the "content gods" by only allowing commercial skip on "day old" recordings, or if they are sued into oblivion by the same folks that forced ReplayTV to die an early death. Just what Dish needs is more legal issues.

#17 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

Tried it out yesterday.
works great, you get an occasional momentary blip as it skips ahead, but very minor.
Made watching recordings while running on the treadmill much easier!

#18 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

This is a really interesting feature. My wife used it last night on a CSI recording and it worked well. When I was with D* last year there were a lot of threads about their plan to provide targeted advertising and blocking the ability to skip thru commercials on shows. It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.

2H/1J

#19 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

This is sweet. If they give us a new cool feature every two weeks like this, who could complain!

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor
Hopper w/ Sling - basement, bedroom, audio feed
video distributed over cat5
audio distributed over Russound

#20 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

This is sweet. If they give us a new cool feature every two weeks like this, who could complain!

Be careful what you wish for.
DirecTV added on stuff until it crippled several of their receiver platforms. And that is why I am now a Dish customer. ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...