Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirectTV Orders Its First Original Series 'Rogue'

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

If you are only interested in movies, then a Netflix subscription is far less expensive than DTV (or Dish or any cable service).

What DTV can do with original productions that the major networks are not willing to do is provide programming that appeals to those who are outside of the 18 to 40 year old demographic. It does not matter to the major networks how many people over 40 watch a program. Advertisers only pay for the number of 18 to 40 year olds.

You have to be kidding. Do you think DTV can provide better programming than ABC NBC CBS FOX PBS, HBO, Showtime, Starz and thirty other cable channels? Don't make me laugh.

I can see picking up an old series that was dropped and playing re-runs. But a new original series? Count me out.

I mean like there is such a shortage of detective and police dramas on TV!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,465 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

You have to be kidding. Do you think DTV can provide better programming than ABC NBC CBS FOX PBS, HBO, Showtime, Starz and thirty other cable channels? Don't make me laugh.

I can see picking up an old series that was dropped and playing re-runs. But a new original series? Count me out.

Big does not equate to quality. Your position sounds like one taken by those who doubted AMC and before that HBO.

They may or may. It make quality. We can only wait and see.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#23 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,077 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

Better? Maybe/maybe not. Another choice? Definitely. They did petty well with Damages after it had been dropped by FX.

As I understand, DirecTV is not producing the program themselves - they have contracted with an established production company to purchase 10 episodes of an original series. This is no different from what all of the others do. Studios often produce pilots on speculation with the hopes that they can find a buyer. In this case DTV is the buyer. The only difference between this and Damages is that this is a new series, and Damages was new episodes of a previously existing series (much like CBS did with JAG after it had been dropped by NBC).

The only difference size makes is that DTV is buying 10 hours of an original program (presumably one hour per week for 10 weeks). NBC and ABC buy 21 hours per week and Fox buys 14 hours per week. Can DirecTV by one hour per week that is better than the best hour per week on the other networks? Possibly not. Can DirecTV buy one hour per week that is better than the 21st hour on NBC or ABC or the 14th hour on Fox? Probably.

#24 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

Are they running ads to finance the shows? Or are they just hoping people will order DTV in order to watch the shows?

#25 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

Even though my Dish Network hardware was starting to fail the really big incentive for me to go with Directv was being able to watch new seasons of Friday Night Lights on The 101! before they aired on NBC.

#26 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

Excellent. The Audience Network keeps getting better and better.

I agree. I don't think The Audience Network gets enough credit around here. Do other providers have their own networks that are anywhere close to being on par with The Audience Network?

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#27 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

I like that you are willing to so fully judge what you have not yet seen. The part that sucks for you is that even if it's great you'll be unable to see it for having painted yourself into a negative nook.:)

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#28 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,941 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

It might be a contentious cranny.......:nono2:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#29 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

I will be long gone as a DTV subscriber by then. My contract is up in July and I can save $500+ by switching to dish.

#30 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 557 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:46 AM

I will be long gone as a DTV subscriber by then. My contract is up in July and I can save $500+ by switching to dish.

Then why do you care what DIRECTV does with the Audience Network?

#31 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,613 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:15 AM

Then why do you care what DIRECTV does with the Audience Network?

Good question.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#32 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

Good question.

DTV needs to concentrate on lowering their package costs, adding HD channels, and the other movie channels I mentioned before. I don't give a hoot about some dumb new detective series they are coming up with. If it works for you , then great.

#33 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,613 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:15 AM

DTV needs to concentrate on lowering their package costs, adding HD channels, and the other movie channels I mentioned before. I don't give a hoot about some dumb new detective series they are coming up with. If it works for you , then great.

You posted that by July your contract will be up and you will be long gone because you will be saving $500.00 by switching to DISH. Given that, I agree with Billzebub. Why should you care what DirecTV does or does not do?

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#34 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,022 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

I have to wonder if this really affects the bottom line with or without this program. I would not be surprised if the costs of the show are defrayed or maybe even entirely paid for out of advertising and syndication in other countries so that it actually has no real cost to subscribers of Directv.

#35 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

Rogue Series Premiere available On Demand (channel 1239) now before it airs on Audience Network on 4/3, 9PM ET. Both The Aquarium (Ep 101) and Fireball (Ep 102) are available combined into one download.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#36 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

Horrible. I'd rather have them increase their HD offerings or other delivery-related improvements.

This is like Ford deciding to open a line of gas stations. UGHH!

DTV save the money on yet another detective series and give us some better channels like TheBlaze.

#37 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 557 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

DTV save the money on yet another detective series and give us some better channels like TheBlaze.

I thought you were leaving in July?

#38 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 142 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

I thought you were leaving in July?

He was too busy analyzing Directv's business practices and forgot about taking care of his own! :P

Edited by TJNash, 04 April 2013 - 08:34 AM.
spelling!

#39 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

He's just expressing his opinion that he'd prefer to see DirecTV focus on lowering people's bills, then on an original series. Nothing wrong with that.

I feel the opposite - I think the networks are doing a LOUSY job of offering programming. They've gotten greedy, and want to fill their timeslots with cheap-to-produce reality TV. They kill interesting stuff off before it has a chance to gain momentum. I'm to a point where I simply won't watch sci fi programming on network TV because they rarely give us closure on the stories.

NBC isn't even making the Nielsen charts on some nights. We have hundreds of channels but not much to watch. If DirecTV manages to make even one series that's worth watching, it's a win to me.

#40 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

I think the show is excellent, definitely should have a lot of potential.

I see they also have distribution in Canada on Movie Central (Western Canada) & The Movie Network (Eastern Canada) which is good but does make sense especially since it was shot in Vancouver.

For those who can not wait till next week they said they will have next weeks episode available on DirecTV Everywhere and Audience VOD (1239) up later today.

EDIT: Episode 103 is now available for download/streaming :)

Edited by coolman302003, 04 April 2013 - 12:35 AM.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

spam firewall