Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Long Buried/Suspended Cable Run

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

eben where did you look for the RG11? did you try paceintl.com or perfect-10.tv? I have gotton this cable from both over the years.

Rg6 and 11 aerial (with messager) does not come 'flooded' only underground type is flooded.

Flooded means it has a gel like substance in the cable to help prevent mosture from getting into the cable.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Eben

Eben

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

eben where did you look for the RG11? did you try paceintl.com or perfect-10.tv? I have gotton this cable from both over the years.

Rg6 and 11 aerial (with messager) does not come 'flooded' only underground type is flooded.

Flooded means it has a gel like substance in the cable to help prevent mosture from getting into the cable.

I just googled rg11 direct burial messenger to see if such a beast existed. I've relayed the great info on this thread to my friend and he plans to skip the aerial portion and just use flooded rg11 and bury the entire run. Thanks, all, for your help.

#23 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

I was mistaken, been out of the industry too long I guess. Utility depth has always been 3', it was my standard for under parking lots, etc. In your case 18" is enough as long as it is in conduit, 24" if direct bury. When it comes to buried conduit, bigger is better! Shoot for 1-1/4 to 2" PVC, you never know if the next step in technology will require 4 cables. Good luck!
Edit: Table 300.5 NEC

#24 OFFLINE   jhaye2x

jhaye2x

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

hi all, i went to install a motorized dish with a techno-mate motor. i had lots of problems with the motor commands.when i arrived on the job the original motor had the same problem.so i put up the new one .same thing happened to that motor.then i discovered that the customer had rg6 (non expensive one) 150 feet from the house buried under the ground in 2 .5 inch round PVC pipe.then i discovered that 90% of the PVC was covered in water.i rang techno-mate and they told that it could be that the sensors blew in the motor.lads have anybody come across this before. thank you jhaye2x

#25 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

glad he decided to skip the aerial, that was going to be my suggestion especially being he had a ditch witch attachment, I would also suggest to do a conduit run also, that way if you ever have problems and need new cable it would be alot easier to replace because in theory you would be able to attach the cables together and just pull it through.

spam firewall