Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Nomad Software: Spring 2012 Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
257 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

I don't agree that it's horrible. Streaming over the hotel Internet is horrible. I rate it as acceptable.

I even watch it on the hotel TV, so it's even blown up larger than iPad, and it's still watchable.

I do wish there was a high-res option though. We paid for the content, and it's protected.

Setup

Ken

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,836 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

I am very happy with Nomad on the latest iPad. HD would be nice but not necessary for me. With over 20 hours of movies stored, I'd probably run out of memory in HD. This beats paying iTunes for movies as its free after the hardware cost. Or I could be paying an airline $8 for a 3 hour flight to watch their little smudged screen. Compare the one time cost of what you get vs all the other alternatives and for some apps the extra work required, I think it's a great deal.

#183 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,304 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

This is the last picture quality comment I'm going to make. . . I just watched 'Inside the NFL' and for the entire hour I never saw any pix / macro anywhere. . .

If your experience with nomad is different, you either have a problem with your nomad, your dvr, your iPad, or your network.

Edited by dennisj00, 04 October 2012 - 08:58 PM.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#184 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

I have to say, I am not impressed as of yet.
When I opened the box and plugged it in the Nomad client on my Win7 x64 laptop started acting like a random error generator. I got errors saying that it couldn't find the Nomad, that I didn't have an internet connection, and that it couldn't activate.
Once I got past those I selected a couple of shows to transfer and even though one one started to transfer they now all say 'waiting to prepare'.

I wonder when it will come out of beta.

#185 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,836 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Each one that you selected will prepare one by one. As each finishes preparing it will transfer fairly quickly.

Is that not your experience?

#186 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

Each one that you selected will prepare one by one. As each finishes preparing it will transfer fairly quickly.

Is that not your experience?

Nope. They all say that they are waiting. None are preparing.

#187 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

Nope. They all say that they are waiting. None are preparing.

Is anyone watching recordings off the same DVR you are trying to get the Nomad to copy programs off of? For example if all of your recordings are on the DVR in the living room, and someone is watching a recording in your bedroom, then the DVR is busy streaming out the recording to the bedroom, and it can't stream to the Nomad at the same time so the Nomad has to wait.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#188 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

Is anyone watching recordings off the same DVR you are trying to get the Nomad to copy programs off of? For example if all of your recordings are on the DVR in the living room, and someone is watching a recording in your bedroom, then the DVR is busy streaming out the recording to the bedroom, and it can't stream to the Nomad at the same time so the Nomad has to wait.

All receivers are turned off except for the DVR that I am trying to copy from.

#189 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

And now it claims to be working.... odd.

#190 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

And now it claims to be working.... odd.

Welcome to the world of The Nomad!!!!

:grin:
D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

#191 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,304 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

I find when nomad has a hiccup and loses contact with a dvr to wait an hour or so after a reboot. Then everything is fine again for a long time.

#192 OFFLINE   mfeinstein

mfeinstein

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

I am running a new MacBook Pro with Mac OS 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion). When I install Nomad, there is no window visible at all. I have read that the Nomad software doesn't work properly with Mac OS 10.8.2, but no one else has said that they get no window. The issues others have seen seem to be around the video not working properly.

For me, the application doesn't work at all. It doesn't even try to find my Nomad on the network.

I recently upgraded from another MacBook Pro that was also running 10.8.2. That one has no issue bringing up the Nomad window.

Is the issue related to the retina display in my new MacBook Pro?

#193 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,908 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

I am running a new MacBook Pro with Mac OS 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion). When I install Nomad, there is no window visible at all. I have read that the Nomad software doesn't work properly with Mac OS 10.8.2, but no one else has said that they get no window. The issues others have seen seem to be around the video not working properly.

For me, the application doesn't work at all. It doesn't even try to find my Nomad on the network.

I recently upgraded from another MacBook Pro that was also running 10.8.2. That one has no issue bringing up the Nomad window.

Is the issue related to the retina display in my new MacBook Pro?

Almost certainly not. I am running latest ML and it works fine, though it's a newish MBAir.

I'd delete all the files associated with nomad on the Mac and reinstall.

How did you upgrade? Migration assistant?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#194 OFFLINE   mfeinstein

mfeinstein

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

Almost certainly not. I am running latest ML and it works fine, though it's a newish MBAir.

I'd delete all the files associated with nomad on the Mac and reinstall.

How did you upgrade? Migration assistant?

I did use Migration Assistant. However, after I noticed the problem, I uninstalled Nomad and reinstalled (several times now).

I searched for Nomad files to delete after uninstalling, but didn't see anything. Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks for your help.

#195 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

I downloaded several movies and one copy of "The Daily Show" to my iPhone for a recent road trip. The audio on all movies sounded as if it were missing the center channel for all dialogue. It rendered all of the movies as un"hearable". Even when connected to a TV, the audio sounds like an echo of the actual dialoge. On The Daily Show, all audio was present with the exception of a few commercials where the audio sounded the same as the movies. I believe there is an issue converting items from Dolby 5.1 down to something the iPhone could use.

#196 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,908 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

My Movies file I placed in my Movies folder, but the key other stuff is in
Nomad+Prod folder. Its subfolders and files are:

Folder: RouterDatabase- You might not have.....
Folder: Station
Folder: llds
13_11170_56c627.tmp
13_11170_56cc17.tmp
31_0_56c31b.tmp
31_0_56c52d.tmp
DrmInfo.dll
msi.dat

They'd be in ~Library/Application Support/Nomad+Prod/Station

Hope that does it!

#197 OFFLINE   mfeinstein

mfeinstein

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:16 AM

13_11170_56c627.tmp
13_11170_56cc17.tmp
31_0_56c31b.tmp
31_0_56c52d.tmp
DrmInfo.dll
msi.dat

Hope that does it!

Maybe my problem is that I don't have this folder! Even with a clean installation, none of these exist on my machine. I'll check my old machine and, if it has these files, I may try copying them over. Thanks again.

#198 OFFLINE   mfeinstein

mfeinstein

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

13_11170_56c627.tmp
13_11170_56cc17.tmp
31_0_56c31b.tmp
31_0_56c52d.tmp
DrmInfo.dll
msi.dat

Hope that does it!

Unfortunately, neither my working older MacBook Pro nor my non-working new MacBook Pro have any folders there or anywhere else with Nomad files as far as I can tell. Both machines are running Mountain Lion.

I have searched for 'Nomad' and 'Nomad+Prod' on both Macs, with no luck.

Any help is very much appreciated!

#199 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,304 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

The nomad support files were hidden on my wife's MBP until we changed the attributes.

#200 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,908 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

They'd be in your User file. Hold down the Option key in Finder on menu item "Go". Normal searches don't turn up stuff in the User Library, and it was hidden a few revisions back. And it may not be the same name as I have exactly; sorry for any goose chase.

spam firewall