Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Nomad Software: Spring 2012 Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
257 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,733 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

The nomad support files were hidden on my wife's MBP until we changed the attributes.

Attributes? Sounds like PC talk to me! :lol:
Could you outline just what you did? -Of the nomad files, or the User Library?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   wmacson

wmacson

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

Here's a new one that I haven't figured out yet and either has Directv. About a week ago my Nomad stopped working after working fine for about a year. It started with just an amber (yellow) solid light and no blue lights. Now I am only getting a solid white light. When I reset or pull the plug, the blue lights light up with the white light but then the blue lights disappear, leaving just the solid white light. I can see the IP Address of my Nomad in my LAN setting. When I ping it, sometimes the test is successful and sometimes it fails. I have also noticed that sometimes it has a static IP address and sometimes it's DHCP. Neither time does it work. I first noticed this last week. Up until that point, it was fine. I have done nothing different with my computer or router.

A few final notes. I have WHS and I have 2 receivers that are connected to the internet (Did that test as well). HR24 and HR34. One weird thing I did notice is that the HR34 would randomly not see the HR24 receiver's playlist, although the HR24, always saw the HR34's playlist. Recently, in the last week or so, the HR34 is now consistently seeing the HR24. Maybe just random, but I thought I'd throw that bit of info in there.

I'm using Verizon fios and my nomad is directly attached via ethernet to the router. They sit beside each other.

Last night I reset the router and nothing. If I reset the nomad over and over, sometimes I get an amber light and solid blue network light but then it quickly reverts to just the solid white like (pink hue).

One final thing i'm noticing. When I go into the router and see all my connections (Wireless and Ethernet). Sometimes it shows the Nomad by name and sometimes it's listed as IP-STB1. Any idea what this is? It seems my Nomad is getting confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#203 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,876 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

Attributes? Sounds like PC talk to me! :lol:
Could you outline just what you did? -Of the nomad files, or the User Library?

You got me!! I'm a PC guy, she's a PC / SQL Analyst / Programmer with a MBP.

We did something like . . .

go into Terminal and type

chflags nohidden ~/Library/
killall Finder && open /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app

Go to “Finder” and delete the following for the user:

- Library/Application Support/Nomad+Prod <- Delete the folder. The folder name is subject to change
- Library/Preferences/com.directv.nomad.plist <- Delete just the file

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#204 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,733 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

The one thing I would try is a major reset, which is holding in the red button for two (yes, two!!) minutes. A pia, but that may do it.

What client are you using?

#205 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,733 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

You got me!! I'm a PC guy, she's a PC / SQL Analyst / Programmer with a MBP.

:hurah:

Go to “Finder” and delete the following for the user:

- Library/Application Support/Nomad+Prod <- Delete the folder. The folder name is subject to change
- Library/Preferences/com.directv.nomad.plist <- Delete just the file

Ah, cool. One can do that without going through the Terminal, via Option key held down when clicking on Go in Finder. (I avoid the Terminal as if it were surgery.)

#206 OFFLINE   wmacson

wmacson

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

The one thing I would try is a major reset, which is holding in the red button for two (yes, two!!) minutes. A pia, but that may do it.

What client are you using?

Thanks for your response. I've tried the 2 minute reset a couple of times and no luck. It is a PIA!

Not sure what you mean about what client am I using? Verizon Fios/Nomad?

I can get around a router a little bit but not sure how to set a static ip. Someone suggested that.

#207 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,733 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

By client, I mean what devices are you trying to view content on?

#208 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,876 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

:hurah:

Ah, cool. One can do that without going through the Terminal, via Option key held down when clicking on Go in Finder. (I avoid the Terminal as if it were surgery.)

We PC guys still love DOS (Terminal) and can do some fancy things in it. . .

#209 OFFLINE   wmacson

wmacson

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:30 AM

By client, I mean what devices are you trying to view content on?

Oh. Ok, using mainly an iPad but sometimes the iPhone. Neither work. I went downstairs this morning to check on it and now it's just one solid amber light. Still pings when I go into the router.

#210 OFFLINE   mfeinstein

mfeinstein

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

They'd be in your User file. Hold down the Option key in Finder on menu item "Go". Normal searches don't turn up stuff in the User Library, and it was hidden a few revisions back. And it may not be the same name as I have exactly; sorry for any goose chase.

That did it! When I held the Option key in Finder and navigated to the Library/Application Support folder, there was now a folder called Nomad that was visible. I deleted this, reinstalled Nomad, and everything worked fine.

I think that the issue was initially caused by Migration Assistant which must have not moved the Nomad folder correctly between my old Mac and my new one, and this confused the application.

Thanks to all for your help!

#211 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,733 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

Oh. Ok, using mainly an iPad but sometimes the iPhone. Neither work. I went downstairs this morning to check on it and now it's just one solid amber light. Still pings when I go into the router.

Last ditch: unplug the unit for at least overnight....

#212 OFFLINE   wmacson

wmacson

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

Last ditch: unplug the unit for at least overnight....

Thanks but I tried it. Left it unplugged for 48 hours and no luck. I'm going to try a static ip tonight. We'll see.

#213 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,876 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

As far as I know, you can't set a static IP on a nomad. You can set a DHCP reservation in your router, but I doubt that's going to change anything.

#214 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 81 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

Any idea when the nomad client will be ready for the iPad? It's been about a year sitting at the "coming soon" status...

#215 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,778 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

Any idea when the nomad client will be ready for the iPad? It's been about a year sitting at the "coming soon" status...

Haven't seen anything that says a native iPad app is coming 'soon'. Guess since they figure the iPhone app works on the iPad there isn't a big rush to get that out the door.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#216 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 81 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

Haven't seen anything that says a native iPad app is coming 'soon'. Guess since they figure the iPhone app works on the iPad there isn't a big rush to get that out the door.

http://www.directv.c...=-1&lpos=header

On Directv's website - It's says ipad "coming soon"

Anyways - I guess I never tried the iphone app on ipad... I figure it wouldn't look right or resolution would be off. I'll give it a try, Thanks.

#217 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,778 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

http://www.directv.c...=-1&lpos=header

On Directv's website - It's says ipad "coming soon"

Anyways - I guess I never tried the iphone app on ipad... I figure it wouldn't look right or resolution would be off. I'll give it a try, Thanks.

That 'soon' has been out there for months, thought you were asking for updates on any rumors.

I used the app on an iPad2 and iPad (3/new/2012 whatever they call it) and the menus aren't that good the video is OK IMHO.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#218 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 81 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

That 'soon' has been out there for months, thought you were asking for updates on any rumors.

I used the app on an iPad2 and iPad (3/new/2012 whatever they call it) and the menus aren't that good the video is OK IMHO.

Yeah - it's been there since the nomad was released so wondering what's taking them so long to get it released... They should change it to "coming next year" :lol:

#219 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

Anyone notice that their Nomad received a firmware update recently? Mine went to the following firmware version sometime in the last few weeks or so...

1.3.p29-60864s

Not sure what the changes are but the cover art seems to have improved (more shows and movies have cover art showing up).

Maybe this is in preparation for new app version? Maybe a native iPad app?

#220 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,225 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

Your post prompted me to check and I got the version as well. Not sure when it happened but it's there.

I haven't noticed anything different yet but I haven't done much testing either.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

spam firewall