Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Nomad Software: Spring 2012 Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
257 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,029 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

Anyone notice that their Nomad received a firmware update recently? 1.3.p29-60864s

Yep, got it also.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,838 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Anyone notice that their Nomad received a firmware update recently? Mine went to the following firmware version sometime in the last few weeks or so...

1.3.p29-60864s

Not sure what the changes are but the cover art seems to have improved (more shows and movies have cover art showing up).

Maybe this is in preparation for new app version? Maybe a native iPad app?

Yep, got it also.

Received it here as well...it appears that poster cover art is improved as Mike referenced.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#223 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,659 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Got it here.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#224 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,838 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

Got it here.

Guess this must be the FALL EDITION update.... :D

#225 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Got the update and now my nomads broken.

#226 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,838 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Got the update and now my nomads broken.

Everyone with nomad is temporarily having a usage issue...as it appears updates are also being made on the DirecTV nomad server end. I'm sure we'll get more info when it becomes available.

#227 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

iPhone 5 app?

#228 OFFLINE   R8ders2K

R8ders2K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

iPhone 5 app?

The current app works on my iPhone 5. Have you tried deleting the one already installed on your iPhone and reinstall from the App Store...?

And speaking of new versions, anyone heard anything about nomad 2? As I was talking with the nomad tech support and tech mentioned it. V2 is supposed to do streaming to devices, similar to Slingbox...(?)

That would nice. I could retire my Sony LocationFree setup.

Click this link for specifics on my setup. SWM 16 installed.

Setup Apple AirPort Extreme #1 for DIRECTV Network Services.

Setup Apple AirPort Extreme #2 for static IP addresses on your home network.

#229 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

The current app works on my iPhone 5. Have you tried deleting the one already installed on your iPhone and reinstall from the App Store...?

And speaking of new versions, anyone heard anything about nomad 2? As I was talking with the nomad tech support and tech mentioned it. V2 is supposed to do streaming to devices, similar to Slingbox...(?)

That would nice. I could retire my Sony LocationFree setup.

I believe he means update the Nomad app to take advantage of the bigger 16:9 screen on the iPhone 5. The Nomad app is still designed for the older iPhone screen size/shape. I agree with him and hope that DirecTV does it soon. But looking at how long we have gone without an Ipad app, I'm not going to be holding my breath for this to happen anytime soon.

As far as the Nomad 2 goes, I don't think I'd be listening to anything tech support/CSRs say over the phone. I just don't really see the need to be able to stream from your home, when they plan to have everything (or at least as much as they can) available for streaming On Demand through DirecTV Everywhere.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#230 OFFLINE   Lowpro

Lowpro

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

I believe he means update the Nomad app to take advantage of the bigger 16:9 screen on the iPhone 5. The Nomad app is still designed for the older iPhone screen size/shape. I agree with him and hope that DirecTV does it soon. But looking at how long we have gone without an Ipad app, I'm not going to be holding my breath for this to happen anytime soon.

As far as the Nomad 2 goes, I don't think I'd be listening to anything tech support/CSRs say over the phone. I just don't really see the need to be able to stream from your home, when they plan to have everything (or at least as much as they can) available for streaming On Demand through DirecTV Everywhere.

The only Internet access available to me at home is Verizon mobile broadband. The data packages offered are very cost prohibitive. As a result, there is no downloading of large files or streaming of video content from the web to speak of in my home. This makes the DirecTV Everywhere product a useless one for my family. Even so, we're not the least bit interested in watching live content anyway which includes commercials, much less streaming that live content from the Internet. Would be awesome if the Nomad or DirecTV app one day supported streaming local content from our DVR's to our mobile devices across our local network. That would be functionality we'd welcome with open arms and use and abuse daily.

Edited by Lowpro, 11 December 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#231 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

I find it far more important to be able to stream the things I have recorded on my DVR than on demand stuff.

#232 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,659 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

I agree with Ink. . . while I can always find something to watch from On Demand, HBO/go or Showtime anywhere, what's recorded on my DVRs is what I'd rather watch.

And there's lots not covered by On Demand . . . locals / major networks, including Sunday's NFL.

#233 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

I got the Nomad for sports, but I now have two Nets games "waiting to prepare." Can you not use this thing with sports? I've had no problem with shows, but I don't care about that, I want to watch hockey (whenever it returns) and basketball.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#234 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,659 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

Someone else will have to confirm, but since nomad won't transcode OTA or VOD, it's entirely possible that regional sports are flagged.

#235 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

I got the Nomad for sports, but I now have two Nets games "waiting to prepare." Can you not use this thing with sports? I've had no problem with shows, but I don't care about that, I want to watch hockey (whenever it returns) and basketball.

Check the start/finish of your actual recording on your DVR---see if any of the "blue box" on screen graphics pop up in the bottom right hand corner of the screen--the ones that either say "721" or "not available in your area". What happens to me (think I mentioned it earlier in this thread) is that a game/pre-game/post-game/coches show will end--and then the DVR catches the start of the NEXT (or previous) show---which is "blacked out" for me (since I'm watching on an OOM regional sports network) and the nomad won't start/finish transcoding because it seems to "see" that flag of "721/out of market/blacked out" and doesn't complete/start the process.

Sounds convoluted and drawn out/verbose...but that's what I've noticed. Does it make sense?
D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

#236 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

Check the start/finish of your actual recording on your DVR---see if any of the "blue box" on screen graphics pop up in the bottom right hand corner of the screen--the ones that either say "721" or "not available in your area". What happens to me (think I mentioned it earlier in this thread) is that a game/pre-game/post-game/coches show will end--and then the DVR catches the start of the NEXT (or previous) show---which is "blacked out" for me (since I'm watching on an OOM regional sports network) and the nomad won't start/finish transcoding because it seems to "see" that flag of "721/out of market/blacked out" and doesn't complete/start the process.

Sounds convoluted and drawn out/verbose...but that's what I've noticed. Does it make sense?

Actually, that makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, I deleted the two games after watching them on the TV. I didn't see any of those issues, but then as soon as the games ended, I hit stop and then delete. I won't get a chance to test your theory any time soon. I only have NBA League Pass mobile (nice deal through Sprint), so I had recorded the games during the NBALP free trial. I recorded them off YES, but I probably should have recorded them off of the NBALP channels in the 700s. That would probably have stopped the flag from triggering (I was trying to avoid a 6 hour delay in encoding, since that blocks out 6 hours for recording the game). I am an NHLCI subscriber, but I can't test that until the NHL and NHLPA get their act together.

I'll remember to test this out when hockey is back, but in the meantime, if there is anyone else who has NBALP and a Nomad who can test this, I would appreciate the information.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#237 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

I agree with Ink. . . while I can always find something to watch from On Demand, HBO/go or Showtime anywhere, what's recorded on my DVRs is what I'd rather watch.

And there's lots not covered by On Demand . . . locals / major networks, including Sunday's NFL.

I agree right now On Demand is somewhat limited. But I think DirecTV hopes to severely cut down on those limits. I think they want to have pretty much every channel set up like HBO/Max Go, where almost every one of their shows, from every season are available all the time. I think they would also like to eventually have every station available to watch live inside and outside of your home like you currently can with Aud, AXS, Sony, Shorts, etc.

If/when DirecTV is able to get that, I think the demand to be able to stream from your home DVR, instead of just streaming from DirecTVs servers would be greatly diminished. For those still left wanting it at that time, there is always Slingbox, Monsoon Vulkano, etc.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#238 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,659 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

If/when DirecTV is able to get that, I think the demand to be able to stream from your home DVR, instead of just streaming from DirecTVs servers would be greatly diminished. For those still left wanting it at that time, there is always Slingbox, Monsoon Vulkano, etc.

And the other part you have to have with those options is a reasonably capable internet connection. While most hotels / motels / resorts have free wi-fi, I've found very few that will support streaming adequately. And there's watching time in airplanes, cars . . .

#239 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Nomad is driving me crazy. It works great for a while, then it starts showing no programs recorded, even though it sees both DVRs. I reboot the nomad and a few shows appear, one or two from each DVR. They never fill in. I reboot again, same thing. Sometimes, after enough reboots, all the programs appear. Then the problem comes back in a week or two.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#240 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,998 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

Nomad is driving me crazy. It works great for a while, then it starts showing no programs recorded, even though it sees both DVRs. I reboot the nomad and a few shows appear, one or two from each DVR. They never fill in. I reboot again, same thing. Sometimes, after enough reboots, all the programs appear. Then the problem comes back in a week or two.

Can you share some things about your home network? Router, access points, extenders, cck etc?
How is Nomad connected and how are the DVR's connected?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...