Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Nomad Software: Spring 2012 Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
257 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Can you share some things about your home network? Router, access points, extenders, cck etc?
How is Nomad connected and how are the DVR's connected?

HR20 to HR21 via Cat5, HR21 to router via wifi bridge. Nomad to router via Cat5. DirecTv2PC is functioning perfectly. I also have 7 PCs, 4 iPhones, 1 iPad, and 1 iPod on the network with no problems. All are using 802.11 N.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

I just deleted something from the HR20 and it spent 10 minutes "refreshing the playlist." When it finished, all the programs showed up in the Nomad. Any ideas how to trigger this in the DVR if it happens again?

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#243 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,256 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

HR20 to HR21 via Cat5, HR21 to router via wifi bridge. Nomad to router via Cat5. DirecTv2PC is functioning perfectly. I also have 7 PCs, 4 iPhones, 1 iPad, and 1 iPod on the network with no problems. All are using 802.11 N.

I think I see two areas that are giving you Nomad problems.
First it reads as though your HR21 is utilizing both RJ45 ports. If so that's an issue. Only the HR34 can act as a bridge reliably. That's official from Directv.

Other issue that will contribute to less reliable connections is use of a Wi-Fi bridge. I've read many in this same thread report problems with Wi-Fi bridges. I found in my own home that with a Wi-Fi Extender serving clients (iPads or PCs) with Nomad that if the client is on the wireless router I get full connections. But if the client is on the Wi-Fi Extender I have issues.

In summary, you need to get the HR's on the same wired router or switch. Best is a supported solution such as DECA, if you can manage that.

#244 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

Anyone investigate this in the recent past? Just noticed it as an item up on Amazon's "Lightning Deals" last week. I haven't had a chance to check out the reviews yet...just wondering how well it functions/works as a replacement/compliment to the Nomad.....

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top
D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

#245 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

New firmware 1.4 on my nomad.

#246 OFFLINE   marabunta

marabunta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Updated here also, not sure when. FW now 1.4p38-64337S

#247 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

I think I see two areas that are giving you Nomad problems.
First it reads as though your HR21 is utilizing both RJ45 ports. If so that's an issue. Only the HR34 can act as a bridge reliably. That's official from Directv.

Other issue that will contribute to less reliable connections is use of a Wi-Fi bridge. I've read many in this same thread report problems with Wi-Fi bridges. I found in my own home that with a Wi-Fi Extender serving clients (iPads or PCs) with Nomad that if the client is on the wireless router I get full connections. But if the client is on the Wi-Fi Extender I have issues.

In summary, you need to get the HR's on the same wired router or switch. Best is a supported solution such as DECA, if you can manage that.

I have a powerline kit arriving from Amazon today. I'll connect the HR20 to the powerline kit, and leave the HR21 on the WiFi access point. Hopefully, this will solve the problems. Thanks.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#248 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

I have read here about people having success with the Nomad and NHLCI, which is why I bought the bloody thing, but I am currently 0 for 4 for Islanders games via Nomad and 0 for 3 for Nets games (NBA League Pass free trials). I have tried recording on MSG or YES, and I have tried recording on the NHL/NBA channels in the 700's. Neither have worked. The only difference is that the ones from the RSNs just did "waiting to prepare," whereas the ones from the 700s just keep preparing over and over. It shows 3 hours left, then 4 hours left, then 2 hours left, then 4 hours left, but it never finishes. I've left some for over 48 hours never to finish. This is ridiculous! I've tried several 3 second resets, 30 second resets, and 3 minute resets on the Nomad, no better. I've even connected my HR21 via powerline, in case the problem was WiFi, but no change. I'm on the verge of returning the brick!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#249 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,296 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Not near my gear right now, but I'm not surprised some sports are x'ed out.
Conversely, can you record other stuff all right?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#250 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Not near my gear right now, but I'm not surprised some sports are x'ed out.
Conversely, can you record other stuff all right?

Everything else works fine.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#251 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Looks like I'm going to be on the phone with DirecTV for a long time.

I've tried to record 3 more CI games. One manual 3 hours from 776-1 and 2 from the RSNs for 3 ours (I don't subscribe to the RSNs, but they are open during the game); I was able to record and watch them.

But these three won't transfer either to my nomad. "waiting to prepare" just sits there.

Right now, the only hockey games I can transfer to my nomad are games from NBC, NBC SN, my RSNs and the NHL Network.

#252 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

Looks like I'm going to be on the phone with DirecTV for a long time.

I've tried to record 3 more CI games. One manual 3 hours from 776-1 and 2 from the RSNs for 3 ours (I don't subscribe to the RSNs, but they are open during the game); I was able to record and watch them.

But these three won't transfer either to my nomad. "waiting to prepare" just sits there.

Right now, the only hockey games I can transfer to my nomad are games from NBC, NBC SN, my RSNs and the NHL Network.

Yep, I still have last night's Isles v. Jets game "waiting to prepare." Please let me know what you find out when you call!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#253 ONLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

Yep, I still have last night's Isles v. Jets game "waiting to prepare." Please let me know what you find out when you call!

If you've watched the game...

Spoiler

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#254 ONLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

DirecTV Nomad Software for iOS v2.1 Released

New Features:
  • Now you can stream movies and shows from your HD DVR instantly anwhere within the home (you must be within your home Wi-Fi network). Just click "Watch Now" on any program in your Playlist to stream, or select "Download" to take the program with you anywhere and everywhere you go.
  • Set a live program to record on your HD DVR and start watching the program on your iPhone as it starts to record.
  • This version also allows you to start streaming a program on your iPhone and continue where you left off on another iPhone.
  • Closed captioning support for downloaded and streamed shows
  • Optimized for iPhone 5
  • Optimized for iOS 6
  • Stability enhancements

- Merg

#255 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

New Features:

[*]Now you can stream movies and shows from your HD DVR instantly anwhere within the home (you must be within your home Wi-Fi network). Just click "Watch Now" on any program in your Playlist to stream, or select "Download" to take the program with you anywhere and everywhere you go.
[*]Set a live program to record on your HD DVR and start watching the program on your iPhone as it starts to record.
[*]This version also allows you to start streaming a program on your iPhone and continue where you left off on another iPhone.
[*]Closed captioning support for downloaded and streamed shows
[*]Optimized for iPhone 5
[*]Optimized for iOS 6
[*]Stability enhancements

- Merg

Nice feature for live streaming in-home...still hoping for an iPad interface though.

#256 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

New Features:

• Now you can stream movies and shows from your HD DVR instantly anwhere within the home (you must be within your home Wi-Fi network). Just click "Watch Now" on any program in your Playlist to stream, or select "Download" to take the program with you anywhere and everywhere you go.
  • Set a live program to record on your HD DVR and start watching the program on your iPhone as it starts to record.
  • This version also allows you to start streaming a program on your iPhone and continue where you left off on another iPhone.
  • Closed captioning support for downloaded and streamed shows
  • Optimized for iPhone 5
  • Optimized for iOS 6
  • Stability enhancements

- Merg

Just updated. Hoping it will finally allow me to watch hockey! I do like the thought of "improved" encoding time. I currently have last night's Nets game from NBATV showing 51 minutes left. So, that's about two hours of encoding completed in 11 hours of real-time. Not very efficient.

Any word on an updated client for Windows? I tend to prefer the screen on my Ultrabook for sports, the couple of times it has worked.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#257 ONLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

Just updated. Hoping it will finally allow me to watch hockey! I do like the thought of "improved" encoding time. I currently have last night's Nets game from NBATV showing 51 minutes left. So, that's about two hours of encoding completed in 11 hours of real-time. Not very efficient.

Any word on an updated client for Windows? I tend to prefer the screen on my Ultrabook for sports, the couple of times it has worked.

Updated PC client should be available this afternoon.

- Merg

#258 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

There will be an updated Windows client, please use the new thread for all discussion.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...